Print

Author Topic: Top 10 Reasons GCN beats the pants off PS2 & Xbox!  (Read 26275 times)

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« on: July 11, 2003, 01:27:57 PM »
Yet another NEWBIEâ„¢ enters your ranks! Well, I am a NEWBIEâ„¢, aren't I? Surely someone who has never posted a topic in General Mario chat before is one of those. This is my inaugural thread in in GMc, you know . . . and, at the same time, it is also very likely my final post in this forum.

I'm posting because an amazing thing has happened. In its June 2003 issue (Volume 169), Nintendo Power published an article much needed by some of the members of this board. There have been several debates here over the three gaming consoles, and NP has now provided what I  consider to be significant support for the Nintendo GameCube. Yet no one has posted the cool article and spread the word! I'm here to fix that, to get this excellent list of arguments on the Web so that it might start circulating to other, much more war-torn areas of the digital realm.

It is in honor of Mario Maniac, who posted about 150% of all previous console debate topics, that I have decided to put this post in General Mario chat where it doesn't belong. Enjoy and be enlightened by it!

IN DEFENSE OF NINTENDO GAMECUBE

You've probably seen the arguments raging on Internet chats and bulletin boards about which console is the best or what game is the hottest.  Some misguided gamers think the Nintendo GameCube is a toy for tots.  On the contrary:  Players of all ages revere Nintendo games, and some of the best Mature-rated games are exclusive to GCN.  At Nintendo Power, we think it's a tragedy when gamers turn away from pure gaming excellence because they're afraid of what someone might say.  The next time a deluded gaming guru tells you that the GCN is lame, refer him or her to Nintendo Power's...

Top 10 Reasons GCN beats the pants off PS2 and Xbox!

The handle.  Okay, so it's a little goofy, but imagine trying to take an Xbox with you to a friend's house or on vacation.  You would need an industrial crane and a parking permit.

It only plays games.  That's right.  Anyone who tells you that playing DVDs on a game console is a benefit has never had someone monopolize the machine for hours playing Meg Ryan movies while the rental game you have to return in three hours gathers dust.

It's more powerful than PS2.  PS2 has slower processors and its graphics are noticeably inferior to the GCN's.  Sorry—there's nothing very funny about that.

Gone platinum.  The Platinum GCN is a work of art, shiny and sophisticated.  PS2 and Xbox look like every other piece of electronics hardware created in the past 20 years, and dust really shows up on those black casings.

Controller design.  The PS2 Controller has way too many buttons, and the Xbox Controller was designed for a giant or an octopus.  Ah, but the GCN Controller is elegant and practical—and extension of the human spirit; an epiphany in plastic; the ultimate interface between mind, body and technology.

Experience.  Nintendo has consistently produced the highest quality video games for more than two decades dating back to Donkey Kong.  You can bet that Nintendo will continue to do so in the future.  Twenty years ago, Sony was making Betamax tape machines and Microsoft hadn't even come up with Windows.  What will they be doing tomorrow?

The incredible freedom of the WaveBird Controller.  Your can even play from the bathroom.  Let freedom ring!

Game Boy Player.  More than a hundred million people have Game Boys, and we suspect that most of them own a game or two.  With the Game Boy Player, all those millions of deserving gamers will be able to play their games on Nintendo GameCube as well as on their Game Boys.

Connectivity.  Sony and Microsoft can't do it because they don't have Game Boy.  They have robotic dogs and word processors.  Let's face it, they're not really game companies.  But Nintendo does only games, which is why Nintendo innovates ways to play—linking consoles, swiping cards, visiting villages filled with animals and sailing the high seas in a talking boat.

Exclusivity.  The GCN offers The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Mario Kart, Metroid 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, Pikmin II, Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur II as Link.  (That's 15 exclusive reasons GCN reigns supreme.)  Try naming 15 exclusive hit PS2 titles.  As for Xbox, you can count the number of exclusive hit titles for it on one finger.

Edited by - Why are you highlighting? on 7/13/2003 10:49:22 PM

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 01:40:24 PM »
Hear, hear!

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 01:41:16 PM »
Hear, hear!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 01:44:51 PM »
Yay! Watoad's FINALLY back!!! Wow, I didn't know you've NEVER posted in GMc! Anyway, please stay. :)

I'm glad someone finally posted that. I almost did, but then decided not too. (Mainly due to laziness... XD)

All I can say is... Put that in your shorts (yes, shorts) and smoke it, LOSER SYSTEMS. In the words of my brother..."You got told!"  Speaking of him...I forgot to share that beautiful little list with him... He's a PS2 loyalist...sort of...he'll play GCN, but prefers PS2...

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 01:47:09 PM »
PS2 is the best console, and plus most of those 15 "hits" aren't even hits. You suck at this stuff leave the forums now or do I have to get Deezer to beat you down?

I''m the master of Mario and Pokémon!
I HATE JON!!! He betrayed me. So now everyone can have his picture.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 01:50:44 PM »
Uh, they all look like hits to me.
*scratches head*

And didn't you just violate about 4 forum rules, O great marioguy?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 01:52:38 PM »
Uhh huh... Then give *US* 10 reasons why PS2 is better.

--------------------

"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 01:58:22 PM »
Yes, marioguy, why on EARTH would Deezer support YOU?

1) He banned you.
2) Watoad did nothing wrong.
3) Think of how many people LIKE Watoad and how many people DON'T like you. (Not insulting you, just pointing it out.)
4) Deezer'd probably agree that GCN's better, anyway.

--------------------

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 02:04:45 PM »
*giggles like a schoolgirl*
Whoops.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 02:06:33 PM »
...?  Uh...okay... ...?

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 05:55:14 PM »
Is this better?
*guffaws like a lumberjack*

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 07:16:38 PM »
lol. No, I was wondering WHY you were laughing...

--------------------

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 09:57:05 PM »
 Let's try and keep this mature, people.

Thank you, Watoad, for posting this, and stick around. ;D

I had always applauded Nintendo's ability to remain tactful, and un-insulting to the other companies, while they often received flak from the said others. However, this article really shows me something. Nintendo Power surely isn't the same magazine I used to read to find the scoop on Mega Man III, that's for sure.

"10.  The handle. Okay, so it's a little goofy, but imagine trying to take an Xbox with you to a friend's house or on vacation. You would need an industrial crane and a parking permit."

Hah. Funny. Seriously though, for a company who harps so much on gaming, what does a handle have to do with making a better system? What do the looks matter? Maybe it should be 9 Reasons...

"9.  It only plays games. That's right. Anyone who tells you that playing DVDs on a game console is a benefit has never had someone monopolize the machine for hours playing Meg Ryan movies while the rental game you have to return in three hours gathers dust."

While I do believe the DVD player is an un-needed accessory, I hardly believe it takes away from the system's worth. Especially for the reason they gave. The DVD function is simple an added bonus, I have no idea why people complain about such things when it doesn't hurt the gamming experience at all.

"8.  It's more powerful than PS2. PS2 has slower processors and its graphics are noticeably inferior to the GCN's. Sorry—there's nothing very funny about that."

Yeah? Did you know the PSX is more powerful than a Super Nintendo?

The GameCube came out a year later, of course it will be more powerful. Besides, what do graphics matter, anyway?

And I failed to see mention of the X-Box. If I've read correctly, the GCN has an inferior processor. Of course, that isn't in there, no sir.

"7.  Gone platinum. The Platinum GCN is a work of art, shiny and sophisticated. PS2 and Xbox look like every other piece of electronics hardware created in the past 20 years, and dust really shows up on those black casings."

Really now. Of all things to come up with...

Once more, what do the looks of the system matter? This is hardly a reason worthy of "beating the pants off of either system."

Please.

"6.  Controller design. The PS2 Controller has way too many buttons, and the Xbox Controller was designed for a giant or an octopus. Ah, but the GCN Controller is elegant and practical—and extension of the human spirit; an epiphany in plastic; the ultimate interface between mind, body and technology."

Ah yes, the perfect GCN controller, how we love thee. Honestly know, have you ever tried to play a serious Fighter with the GCN controller? The Control Stick lacks the precision necessary to execute the moves. The D-pad, being small and placed in an awkward position doesn't offer a good solution. While, I do like it, I find it not quite as well as they've said.

To be honest, I like the PS2 controller just as much as the GCN. While I will agree, the X-Box controller is not so well designed.

"5.  Experience. Nintendo has consistently produced the highest quality video games for more than two decades dating back to Donkey Kong. You can bet that Nintendo will continue to do so in the future. Twenty years ago, Sony was making Betamax tape machines and Microsoft hadn't even come up with Windows. What will they be doing tomorrow?"

I agree, experience is a good thing. However, what the other companies did in the past is not nearly as important as to what they're doing now. Both companies are doing a fine job producing a quality gaming experience. If Sony is able to rival Nintendo's strangle hold on this industry, it seems they're doing something right.

"4.  The incredible freedom of the WaveBird Controller. Your can even play from the bathroom. Let freedom ring!"

While it is a perk, I see no difference from having DVD support. This pertains little to the system itself, and thus I find it irrelevant.

"3.  Game Boy Player. More than a hundred million people have Game Boys, and we suspect that most of them own a game or two. With the Game Boy Player, all those millions of deserving gamers will be able to play their games on Nintendo GameCube as well as on their Game Boys."

As I said before, it is a nice perk. However, it isn't applicable to everyone. The Game Boy Player means little to those without Game Boy games. I see this more as a marketing strategy, more than anything else.

"2.  Connectivity. Sony and Microsoft can't do it because they don't have Game Boy. They have robotic dogs and word processors. Let's face it, they're not really game companies. But Nintendo does only games, which is why Nintendo innovates ways to play—linking consoles, swiping cards, visiting villages filled with animals and sailing the high seas in a talking boat. "

Now, I will say, Nintendo is by far the most innovative company of the three. No argument there. However, the "Innovations" they've listed have always seemed more to me as an extra way to get you to buy more accessories. Such as these Swiping Cards. You need to buy the E-reader thing, then buy packs of cards to your satisfaction. It doesn't seem they treat their fans as well as they'd like this to sound.

What is that? It's good marketing, you say? That's true, it is good marketing. However, good marketing has little to do with the System, and so I find no place for it here.

Innovation, yes, Nintendo is good at that.

"1.  Exclusivity. The GCN offers The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Mario Kart, Metroid 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, Pikmin II, Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur II as Link. (That's 15 exclusive reasons GCN reigns supreme.) Try naming 15 exclusive hit PS2 titles. As for Xbox, you can count the number of exclusive hit titles for it on one finger. "

Another fine point. However, it's funny they can call games that haven't been released yet hits. Let's see: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Mario Kart, Metroid 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, Pikmin II, Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur II as Link.

None of those have been released yet. While they are exclusive to Nintendo, I'd hardly say that means anything.

Playstation 2 Exclusives:

Final Fantasy X
 Final Fantasy X-2
 Final Fantasy XII
 Kingdom Hearts
 Breath of Fire V
 Soul Calibur II as Heiachi
 .Hack//Sign Infection
 .Hack//Sign Mutation
 Suikoden III
 Sly Cooper
 Guilty Gear X
 Guilty Gear X2
 Xenosaga
 Shinobi
 Devil May Cry II

There's 16. I'd like to see those on another system. I really would.

However, Nintendo does have some exclusive games that are basically making the company, in my book. The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario franchises are, in my opinion, are what are keeping Nintendo afloat.

However, keep in mind, I prefer the GCN over any of the other systems. I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time now, but I honestly find that article a waste of time to read. Thanks, Nintendo Power.

Ah well, I'm interested in your opinions.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 11:17:07 PM »
I figure that while the article is a bit cheezy, Nintendo's getting beaten in the slammage department, and perhaps thought they should slam back. I mean, they could be polite forever like they have been, but chances are they'd just lose more "respect" from "mature" gamers. If it helps to be more aggressive, then I'm all for it, even if it comes off a bit ludicrous.

Umm... yes, Watoad has posted in General Mario chat before, but this was the first topic he posted here.

Marioguy, don't you know that those were posted in Nintendo Power and poor Watoad didn't make them up? Now you go and apologize for being just like your old self. :-D

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 7/11/2003 10:20:39 PM

That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2003, 01:10:26 AM »
Finally I find someone who doesn't like PS2 as much as they don't like X-Box.

"I am not going on a diet!"

Deezer was here.

Print