Print

Author Topic: Top 10 Reasons GCN beats the pants off PS2 & Xbox!  (Read 26207 times)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2004, 02:15:23 PM »
Point and case.

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »
I wish my point hadn't caused that case.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 01:42:21 AM »
hey, saphirra, I can tell you that gamecube has more trademark than PS2. PS2 has more TM than Xbox. so G-Cube beats both.
Super Smash Bros Melee,
(I think he didd'nt say)
 Metroid Prime
 Mario Golf Toadstool tour.ETC. G-Cube WINS!

I have a PS2, PS1, N64, NGC, GB, GBC, GBA. I like nintendo better. They have better games. No question on that. If you name some more TM for PS2, I'll just name more for G-Cube.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2004, 08:52:24 AM »
I think we can all agree that, coming from humble beginnings and spawning off from the time when "Pong" was a big hit and "Jumpman Jr." was the raddest computer game on my block... Nintendo has come an awful long way. They have a lot to show. The GameCube runs more smoothly than any of my other systems.

Let's look at this:

I have a console adaptor and a screen in my car. The PlayStation 2 runs for an hour or so and then trips itself and resets.

The GameCube can go and go and hardly "breaks a sweat;" never once has it reset, frozen, or told me that a brand new game was "dirty."

Honestly, the GCN is more user-friendly. And while they don't have as many games being pumped out by supportive companies, the games they do make are all pretty much high-quality.

I think we've all heard the old saying, "Quality over quantity."

The colors are rather charming--stale black on black with blue or green mixed in is just really more of a turn off.

Anyone can play a GameCube game without much worry. When I was 10 my older friend rented Resident Evil, and my mother took it away and put it up on the refridgerator where I couldn't get it.

So I played my N64 instead, and things were happy and gay. (Er... I don't know if it was THAT cut and paste).

Everyone knows Mario. When I went to France, there were occasional small video game outlets dotted throughout Paris: know whose face I saw most often? Mario's. Link came in second, Samus here and there, too.

Nintendo has a considerable amount of popular mascots, who've had a good series. All my friends and even those who have graduated and gone to college all played Mario, loved StarFox 64, know who Yoshi is, hate Kirby (but know him), know Donkey Kong, and naturally, Pokemon gets a lot of attention (both positive and negative attention.)

It's all personal choice, though. What do any of us care to argue people over to Nintendo's side? Let the games and the company do the talking for themselves. I think Time will show who comes out on top, when Nintendo is working hard on games that a whole lot of people around the world are anticipating, and Sony is mass-producing a cheap, planned-obsolescence Stereo system.

For those who love to game, the GameCube and other Nintendo products are the way to go.

For the college student who wants to stay up and occasionally play games with roommates, who isn't smart enough to invest in the virtual infinite replay value of games in the Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Mario Kart series... PS2 and X-Box are more likely to be played.

I think Nintendo can argue well enough for themselves by standing on silently under attack, brushing off an ignorant gamer's insults with one hand and handing to us the Time-enduring, soul-captivating products they've always produced with the other.

The Final Fantasy series and the GTA series are all PS2 really has. And Final Fantasy, the "dream," per se, began on Nintendo.

After two days of driving around and shooting and grabbing up white packages and dealing with large Italian men... GTA gets old. That's why people rent that one, and buy Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Trust me on this, I have a lot of gaming friends (between the ages of 13 and 20).

"And for those about to game... I salute you."

Sorry if I revived a dead topic.

"Word I was in the house alone,
Somehow must have gotten abroad:
Word I was in my life alone.
Word I had no one left but God."

Edited by - Super Mario on 5/22/2004 7:55:14 AM
Kickin' it since 2000.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2004, 12:18:39 AM »
BM, you love to defend the other systems, eh?

Yes, whoever said that the top 16 PS2 games were RPGs were right. If you take out the RPGs, then you have what, 4 or 5 games?

The PS2 controller was way too complicated. They steal the SNES controller then turn it into a computer. SIX trigger buttons? PLEASE! Who needs R1, R2, R3, L1, L2, and then L3?! Then you have two controller sticks placed at the bottom where a normal length thumb would be uncomfortable, then a poorly built D-Pad (sticks too much on all controllers) where your primary control stick should be. Then they put shapes on the buttons to cover up stealing A, B, X, and Y.

The combonations on the PS2 are too infinite as proves in Tekken Tag Tournament. Dude, a high kick to some other dumb move would be like "Circle, Circle, Down-Right, Left, Triangle, L1, R2, L1, R3, Square, L3, Right, Left, Up, Down Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, X, X, X." A strong punch would be (for real), "Down-Right, Up-Right, Circle, Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Circle."

Yes, the PS2 adds all the un-neccesary crap like DVD players to cover up the suckiness of the games, I believe. Hahhahaha, suckiness; I like that word.

Yeah, the PS2 wouldn't be here without Nintendo because PS2 were allies until Nintendo didn't celebrate some gay tradition, so they split up and Sony makes their own crappy system as I've stated before.

Mr. Wiggles, that was one of the funniest things I've heard at these forums for quite a while. "PS2ers are gay, but cover it up by playing GTA." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I would agree with you and it rhymes!!!!!!! Although, hey, it's just the "HARDCORE" PS2ers that are gay.

Markio, the statement you made was equally funny and bashing: "Play-With-Yourself-Station..." HAHAHAH, I couldn't help but laugh while typing the quote!

lugifan, are you saying they need more Trainman in there games? I concur with you 100% on that. They would only put me in a game on a bike. They would notice me if I had that sponsor, too!

As Mario says: "Stay in school, don't do drugs, and eat lots of pasta. Or maybe not... just hang around that Shoryumoto guy enough, and maybe he'll work you into a few games."

(I had forgotten to copy/paste the first sentence, so I typed it, obviously. Sad how I can remember that. Or maybe not...

"If you were mad at me, but really weren''''t, what would you say; no or no?" ~Cosmo, Fairly-Odd Parents
+--Support our troops.--+
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 12:10:11 PM »
luigifan spelled Sapphira wrong. WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TROUBLE SPELLING SAPPHIRA? It's really easy to spell. Just spell sapphire and change the e to an a.

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2004, 03:31:57 PM »
Reviving topics with coherent messages is fine. It's the all too common "Sony and Microsoft suck", without any reasoning as to why, are what is unwelcome.

"I have a console adaptor and a screen in my car. The PlayStation 2 runs for an hour or so and then trips itself and resets.

The GameCube can go and go and hardly 'breaks a sweat;' never once has it reset, frozen, or told me that a brand new game was 'dirty.'"

Drawing information from your experiences is fine, however, you must realize that it will not hold up in an argument.

I, too, have a console adapter in a vehicle, and have used both my GCN and PS2, and to be honest, I have had no trouble with either. In fact, a friend played the PS2 almost straight, during the 9 hour trip to Baltimore, last summer. I have not seen, nor heard of any trouble with the PS2 in this regard.

"Honestly, the GCN is more user-friendly."

More user friendly. I wouldn't agree with this. Mostly because the term is relative. Both systems operate in a similar manner, leaving little leeway for one to be better for electronic novices.

"And while they don't have as many games being pumped out by supportive companies, the games they do make are all pretty much high-quality."

I do agree. Nintendo has quite the reputation for its first party games, where as neither Sony or Microsoft has been successful with this. Unfortunately, that's where it ends for Nintendo. Granted, things seemed to look up a bit, with the release of the Cube, but lately I've noticed little 3rd party support. After Tales of Symphonia, or Resident Evil 4, I am unable to think of a big name game being developed that's 3rd party.

So, where Sony and Microsoft lose in 1st party games, they more than make up for it in 3rd party support.

"I think we've all heard the old saying, 'Quality over quantity.'"

Indeed we have. However, the Cube is not lacking in its share of "low-end" games, either. Of course, with more 3rd party support, there will be more of these said games, but that's what happens.

I would say that argument would be valid, if you were forced to purchase every game for the system you chose, but you aren't, so if there's a bad game, you simply don't buy it.

"The colors are rather charming--stale black on black with blue or green mixed in is just really more of a turn off."

If you're going to judge a system by it's looks, than you really have no right to make the argument concerning the extra DVD-features and etc. being a bad thing. If you're hung up on colors as opposed to the gaming experience, I don't see where having a DVD player would matter.

"Anyone can play a GameCube game without much worry. When I was 10 my older friend rented Resident Evil, and my mother took it away and put it up on the refridgerator where I couldn't get it."

Resident Evil is also available on the GameCube. I don't see the relevance of your comment.

"Nintendo has a considerable amount of popular mascots, who've had a good series. All my friends and even those who have graduated and gone to college all played Mario, loved StarFox 64, know who Yoshi is, hate Kirby (but know him), know Donkey Kong, and naturally, Pokemon gets a lot of attention (both positive and negative attention.)"

That's good for Nintendo, sure, as exposure helps sell, but I don't see how having mascots adds anything to the system's worth. Whether I'm playing a company's cash-crop game, or just another 3rd party game, I'm happy if it's fun, and enjoyable.

"It's all personal choice, though. What do any of us care to argue people over to Nintendo's side? Let the games and the company do the talking for themselves. I think Time will show who comes out on top, when Nintendo is working hard on games that a whole lot of people around the world are anticipating, and Sony is mass-producing a cheap, planned-obsolescence Stereo system."

It is personal preference, indeed. In knowing that, I find the above statement quite hypocritical, as you state we shouldn't argue about it, but then blatantly mock Sony. In doing so, you're inviting an argument.

"For those who love to game, the GameCube and other Nintendo products are the way to go.

For the college student who wants to stay up and occasionally play games with roommates, who isn't smart enough to invest in the virtual infinite replay value of games in the Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Mario Kart series... PS2 and X-Box are more likely to be played."

And with a mind-set like that, one would miss out on a slew of great games. In fact, they'd miss out on many of my personal favorites. But hey, since I don't agree with you, I guess I fall into the category of a college kid who isn't smart. I'm sure glad there are people I don't know to let me know such things. Thanks.

"The Final Fantasy series and the GTA series are all PS2 really has. And Final Fantasy, the "dream," per se, began on Nintendo."

Personal opinions aren't facts. I could just as easily say that "The Mario and Zelda series are all that Nintendo has." And yet, I'm sure many, if not all, of you would jump all over that.

"After two days of driving around and shooting and grabbing up white packages and dealing with large Italian men... GTA gets old. That's why people rent that one, and buy Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Trust me on this, I have a lot of gaming friends (between the ages of 13 and 20)."

Great! Let's form an opinion of a system based on one game!

"BM, you love to defend the other systems, eh? "

I like to defend what I believe.

"Yes, whoever said that the top 16 PS2 games were RPGs were right. If you take out the RPGs, then you have what, 4 or 5 games?"

Yeah, and if you take out all of the criminals in our world, you'd have a perfect society. So what?

"The PS2 controller was way too complicated. They steal the SNES controller then turn it into a computer. SIX trigger buttons? PLEASE! Who needs R1, R2, R3, L1, L2, and then L3?! Then you have two controller sticks placed at the bottom where a normal length thumb would be uncomfortable, then a poorly built D-Pad (sticks too much on all controllers) where your primary control stick should be. Then they put shapes on the buttons to cover up stealing A, B, X, and Y."

Complicated? The PS2 controller is an SNES controller with 2 more shoulder triggers. I'm not sure what controller you're looking at, but there are 4 buttons on the top of the controller -- R1, R2, L1, and L2. R3 and L3 are on the Analog sticks. And on that topic, the analog sticks seem perfectly placed to me. It seems to be a personal problem, if you do not find them comfortable. It would seem to me that you're looking for things to complain about. Such is the matter with the D-pad. I find it no different from any other D-pad, in terms of difficulty of use.

I find the way the D-pad and Analog sticks are placed to be fine for using both together, as well.

As for "stealing" the design of the SNES controller, "Don't fix what isn't broken", they say.

"The combonations on the PS2 are too infinite as proves in Tekken Tag Tournament. Dude, a high kick to some other dumb move would be like "Circle, Circle, Down-Right, Left, Triangle, L1, R2, L1, R3, Square, L3, Right, Left, Up, Down Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, X, X, X." A strong punch would be (for real), 'Down-Right, Up-Right, Circle, Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Circle.'"

Your problem is with Tekken, not with the PS2. The way moves are executed in other fighters depends on the engine. I assume you're comparing the moves to a game such as Tekken to that of Super Smash Brothers/Melee. And while SSB/M works in it's own respect, other companies like to reward those who take the time to master the timing and button combinations. If you think that is "stupid," that's fine. Don't play the games. Yet, to formulate an opinion of a system based on a particular game's engine seems infantile.

"Yes, the PS2 adds all the un-neccesary crap like DVD players to cover up the suckiness of the games, I believe. Hahhahaha, suckiness; I like that word."

That's nice that you believe that. Yet, I don't find that very convincing, either. Why not try to prove what you're saying, instead of worthlessly bashing it?

"Yeah, the PS2 wouldn't be here without Nintendo because PS2 were allies until Nintendo didn't celebrate some gay tradition, so they split up and Sony makes their own crappy system as I've stated before."

It is true that the PSX was created after a falling out between Nintendo and Sony, but who's to say that the system would never have been developed otherwise? Sony obviously had some sort of interest in the business, if they sought a deal with Nintendo in the first place.

And, I do believe it was Nintendo who ultimately decided to cancel the deal.

"Mr. Wiggles, that was one of the funniest things I've heard at these forums for quite a while. "PS2ers are gay, but cover it up by playing GTA." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I would agree with you and it rhymes!!!!!!! Although, hey, it's just the "HARDCORE" PS2ers that are gay."

It's also quite immature.

It's nice that we can say we hold to a certain level of maturity here at The Fungi Forums.

"Markio, the statement you made was equally funny and bashing: "Play-With-Yourself-Station..." HAHAHAH, I couldn't help but laugh while typing the quote!"

See above response.

"As Mario says: 'Stay in school, don't do drugs, and eat lots of pasta. Or maybe not... just hang around that Shoryumoto guy enough, and maybe he'll work you into a few games.'"

I'm afraid anything I could say would only take away from this statement.

Edited by - Black Mage on 5/23/2004 2:34:04 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2004, 06:59:34 PM »
I am in full agreement with Black Mage here.

As for you, Trainman:
So what if most of PS2's good games are RPGs? RPGs rock. I'm planning to buy a PS2 sometime in the near future mainly for the RPGs. Thank you.

It’s hard to make up your mind when you don’t have one.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 5/23/2004 6:22:11 PM
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 09:07:12 PM »
Ok.

BlackMage is a hard person to turn his opinion around... and that is another reason I like you; you're an extremely good debater. Oh, and you know how to keep your temper. As much as I blow up and get a little immature every now and then, I still very much admire you're even-temper and even-maturity level; not too high, not too low.

"If you were mad at me, but really weren''''t, what would you say; no or no?" ~Cosmo, Fairly-Odd Parents

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2004, 09:10:40 PM »
But seriously, have you EVER been acting immature or blown up at something that really bugged you in your recent years? For the 10-11 months I've been here, I have never seen you get mad, or act silly.

Although, I recall you mentioning that you used a certain curse in the early years of the forums.......

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2004, 09:33:30 PM »
 I would gladly answer your questions, however, this is not the thread for it.

The questions you have to ask seem better suited for AIM, or at the least, a different topic.

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2004, 11:14:20 AM »
I always thought that the Dual Shock was the second best controller ever made.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2004, 07:19:08 PM »
I always prefered those hanafuda cards over any of Nintendo's videogames.

^_^ ._0 @_@ O~O

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2004, 07:20:50 PM »
Alright. I was a little over the top, Black Mage. I will admit I was pandering for plebian'esque Nintendo support; work them into a drunken riot kind of deal. ^_^;

Now then...

"I, too, have a console adapter in a vehicle, and have used both my GCN and PS2, and to be honest, I have had no trouble with either. In fact, a friend played the PS2 almost straight, during the 9 hour trip to Baltimore, last summer. I have not seen, nor heard of any trouble with the PS2 in this regard."

That still doesn't reduce my point. Out of all my years of owning a PlayStation and a Nintendo 64, and now a PlayStation 2 and a Nintendo GameCube, the Nintendo products have worked better; the controllers last longer, the games are less likely to freeze, the connection cords remain useable even after being stepped on and bitten (both were chewed by my dog at one point). After equal amounts of good use AND bad use, the Nintendo products prove to be of higher quality. The fact that this holds true through a decade says something; but you could always dismiss it is a coincidence, I suppose.

"More user friendly. I wouldn't agree with this. Mostly because the term is relative. Both systems operate in a similar manner, leaving little leeway for one to be better for electronic novices."

I agree with it because of the above statement. I also agree with it because of simpler things, such as disc size (GCN favored), system size (I can leave my GCN unhooked on my coffee table when I'm not playing it; it's about the same size as our candy dish. The PS2 takes up about two and a half as much "area" space), controller size (the Nintendo-produced GCN controllers are very well made--easy fit to the hands, unless you have abnormally large or small hands. I've seen more complaints about the PlayStation controller style over the GCN style, which is why I mention that; both feel fine to me, now that I'm used to them), button response (the GCN's "A" button, as the main fuction in a lot of games, is a lot easier to 'navigate' than the equally proportioned X, O, Triangle, and Square buttons; the "B" button, as a common 'secondary' button, is also a secondary size; the same applies with the X, Y, and Z buttons; henceforth, this also applies to the shoulder buttons, wherein the two GCN buttons have farther to press and are therefore less likely to stick or be rammed into the controller. I had a friend who jammed my R1 button so hard it got stuck down in the controller and had to be retrieved with a screwdriver. I've applied this same radical pressure to all buttons of the GCN controllers I own (even the second-company brands) and they hold out fine. Maybe I'm not as violent as my friend, though.)

"If you're going to judge a system by it's looks, than you really have no right to make the argument concerning the extra DVD-features and etc. being a bad thing. If you're hung up on colors as opposed to the gaming experience, I don't see where having a DVD player would matter."

I never made that argument. I'm not 'hung up' on colors, either, I'm simply being meticulous in as many details as I can think of with neither system in direct view.

"Resident Evil is also available on the GameCube. I don't see the relevance of your comment."

This was more of a "Nintendo" and "Sony PlayStation" comment. It's been made a million times; people can point out many violent games in the PlayStation and now X-Box franchise that you won't find in Nintendo. Of course, many of those games may be very good games, as well. To the same degree, people can call Nintendo "kiddy," and they do. This just all depends on what you enjoy in a game overall, in the end, I guess.

"That's good for Nintendo, sure, as exposure helps sell, but I don't see how having mascots adds anything to the system's worth. Whether I'm playing a company's cash-crop game, or just another 3rd party game, I'm happy if it's fun, and enjoyable."

I have to agree with you completely there.

"It is personal preference, indeed. In knowing that, I find the above statement quite hypocritical, as you state we shouldn't argue about it, but then blatantly mock Sony. In doing so, you're inviting an argument."

I'm inviting an argument if you're argumentative, yes. Sony DOES make mass-produced and cheap stereos, though, don't they? I can go to a small town radio shack and take pictures if you really don't think so.

The point to this is that Nintendo has its whole focus on gaming. Sony may not be TOO spread out, but they are still spread in their products. I see that this might make them more experienced in technology; but, in 30 years, if things remain more or less a stalemate, when games grow to be much more complicated (I assume they will), it will take a lot of attention to get all the details down; who will fair better, a company whose sole purpose is video games, or a big conglomerate like Sony? Or Microsoft, for that matter.

"And with a mind-set like that, one would miss out on a slew of great games. In fact, they'd miss out on many of my personal favorites. But hey, since I don't agree with you, I guess I fall into the category of a college kid who isn't smart. I'm sure glad there are people I don't know to let me know such things. Thanks."

If you'd read the whole sentence, you would have seen that it says "smart enough to invest in." The games I listed get awesome reviews for multi-player action, and not just from Nintendo Power. Look up reviews on them if you disagree.

Do you know all the media news anchors, newspaper journalists, and actors in commercials? Because they let you know things you don't know, and you don't know them, to make a point of small importance.

Passive-aggressivity isn't flattering for anyone, either.

You don't miss out on a slew of great games with that mindset. There are a many, many wonderful games on PlayStation and PlayStation 2; but likely, if you're one of those people who'll only invest in that one system, because it seems to be "better" (not sure how applicable that word is), then you're probably not doing your research, or "homework," and therefore aren't the same "caliber" mindset as more devoted gamers, be this healthy or not. I know this applies to a lot of people, because I know them.

"Personal opinions aren't facts. I could just as easily say that "The Mario and Zelda series are all that Nintendo has." And yet, I'm sure many, if not all, of you would jump all over that."

It IS a fact that I never said that everything I say is going to be a fact. I'm sharing my opinion. Walk into a room of 20 gamers and ask them about Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy and you'll get avid responses, trust me; what else gets the opinion of the herd as much as those two? Mario and Zelda are both massive franchises, too. Not to say FF and GTA aren't, but I would say overall that Nintendo has more large franchises than PlayStation; and right now that seems to be a big focus. Name some other big PS2 franchises for me, because I honestly can't think of any; and nothing draws in support like a well-running franchise. And right now Nintendo, it seems to me, has the larger franchises.

"Great! Let's form an opinion of a system based on one game!"

Great! Let's make a sarcastic comment after missing the point!

My point was based on two "games;" the GTA series and Final Fantasy. My Nintendo generation comment "dismissed" Final Fantasy from the discussion (and I believe it is the best series PS2 has and one of the best in the whole gaming world, so I can't fault it). Thus, I am left with GTA, and of the two, minus the one, leaving me one (simple math), I therefore discuss the one game.

'Kay?

"Word I was in the house alone,
Somehow must have gotten abroad:
Word I was in my life alone.
Word I had no one left but God."
Kickin' it since 2000.

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2004, 09:17:48 PM »
AS for myself, I have to agree with Black Mage. I actually think that if the GC could play music CD's and DVD's that it would have had more sales (not saying that nobody buys it now). Yes, Xbox controllers suck, but PS2 controllers aren't hard to use at all. The one thing that does steams me up is the way everybody I know wants to sell their GC for a PS2. I don't really care what systems I own. As a matter of fact, if I had a PS2 or Xbox I would most likely be just as happy with one of those as I would be with a GC. How old is this topic? Because Crystal Cronicles and Soul Caliber 2 w/ Link are both out. Sorry, but I also have to say that I think that the GC needs more T games, shooters in particular. Also, the wireless controllers have their faults. The WaveBird has no rumble and the G3 Wireless is WAY too sensitive.

-----------------------------
Has anyone her ever wondered why we kill each other over arguments about games? Well, I geuss it is Mario, so it''s OK!

Edited by - gamemaster79 on 5/25/2004 8:34:07 PM

Print