Print

Author Topic: Who cares about game ratings?  (Read 19054 times)

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 04:57:44 AM »
Goldeneye was rated T.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 05:16:11 AM »
Whoops, it wasn't Goldeneye at all. I remember having Doom beforehand.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 10:30:25 AM »
Random: I have never purchased an M rated game. Mainly because the genres of games that receive M ratings just don't interest me.
~I.S.~

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
Hmm... well, thanks, SushieBoy and Ultima Shadow. To tell you the truth I rather expected a bunch of people to be angrily contesting what I said, so the fact that you think my opinion sensible is a pleasant surprise.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 03:41:09 PM »
The Typing of the Dead is the best M-rated edutainment I've ever played.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 04:06:32 PM »
I have no problem with playing games with sex or violence in them, if they're fun games.  I consider myself mature enough to handle that sort of content.  Nevertheless, I wouldn't buy a game like that for my twelve-year-old son (hypothetically; I don't actually have a son).  So I like the ESRB rating system.  I don't know why polticians always criticize the ESRB.  I think their ratings are fair and far more detailed that the movie ratings system (I remember seeing specific content warnings on video games before seeing them on movies).

I find it strange that there is such a controversy over game ratings when there is almost no controversy over movie ratings.  It is my understanding that in most states, there are no actual laws against letting minors into R-rated movies.  Most theaters voluntarily refuse to sell tickets for R-rated movies to minors, because of public relations.  It is also my understanding that game retailers are not so consistent in refusing to sell M-rated games to minors; this is why so many states are trying to pass laws restricting the sale of video games with mature content to minors.  My question is, why the discrepancy?  Why do movie theaters voluntarily try to protect minors, when video game retailers do not?  I don't have an answer, but I think any discussion of game ratings should consider the issue.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
I'm against R-rated movies too, generally speaking. There are exceptions, such as The Passion of the Christ, but I loathe movies that are rated R for sexual content or gratuitous violence and gore.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »
Something tells me that by the time retailers actually volunteer to protect minor from video game content, ther will be another form of entertainment with the same problem.

Makes me wonder if books ever had a problem like this.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 08:35:26 PM »

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_books

[offtopic]

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll was banned in China in 1931 because the animals used the human language."

What is this retardedness? XD

"Black Beauty by Anna Sewell was banned in South Africa due to the use of the word 'black' in the title."

I almost laughed at this one. I suppose anything called "black" should be banned now. ::)

Anybody who calls me a racist (unlikely, but you never know) shall die.

[/offtopic]

Sry.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2006, 12:49:08 AM »
Blackboards in Australia are now chalk boards because they may offend darker-skinned people.

Fairy penguins in Australia have been renamed 'Little penguins' so it does not offend the gay community.

100% true.

btw, game ratings are necessary to prevent kids from getting the wrong ideas. Sure, kids should be smart enough to know that killing is wrong, but younger children might not know this.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 01:17:55 PM »
Well yeah but it's up to there parents to help the younger kids from not playing those violent games. I always ask myself this: Who introduced violence and nudidty to Video Games? Video games where supposed to be bland fun that doesn't hurt anybody, then who knows who comes with all there violence and puts it in OUR video games! Movies are supposed to be violent, not video games!! Who agrees?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »
I don't want my videogames to be bland fun.

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 07:07:06 PM »
Well yeah but it's up to there parents to help the younger kids from not playing those violent games. I always ask myself this: Who introduced violence and nudidty to Video Games? Video games where supposed to be bland fun that doesn't hurt anybody, then who knows who comes with all there violence and puts it in OUR video games! Movies are supposed to be violent, not video games!! Who agrees?
I completely disagree with you! I mean, I can understand you being angry about people calling non-violent video games kiddy, but come on here! Violent video games aren't the freaking spawn of Satan!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2006, 07:38:37 PM »
hrrrrrmm, well, maybe just MAYBE I didn't word that right.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print