Print

Author Topic: A Great Thing Has Happened In School!!!!  (Read 3486 times)

« on: October 17, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
Hey everybody, I have the greatest assignment in english class, we are supposed to do an essay and presentation on a subject that portains to today's society, one of the category's was Technology, So I asked my teacher if it was alright if I did the project on the History of Video Games and she said Yes, It's gonna be so awesome, So onto why this is in the help section, I was wondering if you guys could be maybe give me some secrets that maybe not a lot of people know, or maybe just some good info on the History of Video Games, It would be incredibly appreciated, Thanks

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:52 PM »
Well, I doubt anyone knows that Mario was Jumpman!

(Just Kidding)

I'm not sure what I can give you, but you might want to start out with Pac-Man's name. His name was actually Puc-Man to begin with, but some feared the "P" would be changed to an "F". Get the picture?

Just something to start you out.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:30:15 PM »
I'm not exactly sure how accurate this is, but I used it when I was doing a similar assignment.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/gamestimeline1.html
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »
To get you started:

William Higinbotham (not joking!) creates the first video game, Tennis for Two, to amuse visitors touring the Brookhaven National Laboratory. He would later dismantle it and never patent it, considering it useless.

c. 1960's
MIT college students develop SpaceWar, the first known computer game. They would never market it.

Ralph Baer creates the “updated” modern version of Pong (with score tracking), playable on a dedicated console at the time.

Atari is founded by Nolan Bushnell, and starts creating video-arcade versions of pinball.

The first video arcade game, Computer Space, is published by Atari.

Atari releases the first arcade version of Ralph Baer’s Pong design.

Adventure, the first true large-scale adventure game of any kind, is released for some sort of big vacuum tube thing.

MUD1, the first Multi-User Dungeon game, is conceived by Roy Trubshaw of Essex University, UK.

The NES comes out in the United States.

...and so on. Just a brief history of gaming's starting points.
every

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:19:45 PM »
Glorb, I don't think he can say "big vacuum tube thing" for his report.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:35:51 PM »
Why are you being ungrateful for something this isn't for you?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »
Well, Adventure was released for some (possibly unnamed?) big college computer system because it had the memory substantial for the game's text; on home PCs at the time, the best description you'd get was "I'm on a street." Really.
every

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:59 PM »
If you're going to do a report on "The History of Video Games," I suggest that you focus on the history of a company. Doing the history about the whole history would take too long. Another Idea is to just point out revolutionary games or just how video games developed over time.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 07:28:51 PM »
Why are you being ungrateful for something this isn't for you?

................it was a joke. I'm not being ungrateful.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »
This reminds me of in seventh grade when we all had to give a report demonstarting something and my friend "demonstrated" how to play Goldeneye 007 multiplayer.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »
Last year I did an extremely detailed report on the Gravity Gun in science class and got an A+. My teacher was even a Half-Life fan, so she knew what I was talking about.
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 04:46:16 PM »
The Arcade game Donkey Kong is released and a legend is born
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 05:54:01 PM »
Kojinka, not to sound mean.... but i bet this dude already finished his report and it's probably in his A collection, in other words: You're a bit late :).
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 06:39:29 PM »
I would love to see your works cited page:

Works Cited

TMK. Mario Fan Forum. 2006.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print