Poll

Do you ever read the manual that comes with your games?

Yes
32 (76.2%)
Yes, but only if I'm stuck on something
6 (14.3%)
No
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Do you read the manual?  (Read 15020 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:13:36 PM »
There seems to be two schools of thought on manuals among gamers. The first is that the manual should be read all the way through before playing a game. The other says that the game should just be played and the manual should be consulted only for help on a specific function, or not at all. So which do you belong to?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 12:18:02 PM »
Always read the manual. If you want to truly pwn, always read the manual. There is from time to time, even in this age of tutorial, sometimes unique information there.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:19:40 PM »
Hmm, I usually read the manual if I get a game and I have a long ride home to play it. If I get stuck or confused really badly, I will skim the manual for the answers, but if I get a new game at the local Gamestop, I'll go home and play it with very little manual-reading. Of course, with most modern DS games, you don't need to read the manual, like WarioWare Touched.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »
I voted yes, but only if I'm stuck. I mean, sometimes I'll know the controls for a game because I got that information from Wikipedia, like Kirby Canvas Curse. Then it has a tutorial, so the manual is made useless anyway. And for games like New Super Mario Bros., does anyone NEED a manual? Run, jump, stuff. Again, there are other sources prior to release that talk about the stuff you can do, like ground pound and wall kick... so you're good to go.
And sometimes when I'm bored, I just go read manuals. For hours.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 12:55:25 PM »
Always read the manual. You might find out certain little things about the videogame you didn't know. I personally find them interesting.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »
Yes. I've made it point to read the manual at many a GameFAQs forum, but was always chased out later on by idiots who started to revolt.

Every time I purchase a new game, I read the manual first (though if it's an awesome game I've been anticipating for a long time, I try to read the manual as quickly as possible).
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 01:24:44 PM »
I always read it. I often download the manual from Nintendo before I get the game.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
Yep. Heck, when I was little, I used look at the manual to see the pictures and diagrams.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
Reading the manual to a video gmae is like reading the sleeve to an album.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 03:41:02 PM »
I used to be big on reading manuals. Now... not so much. Nintendo usually always incorporates tutorials inside there games of today, so there isn't really a point in reading the manuals anymore. Some games, like MKDS, NSMB, Wario Ware touched and ACWW are already simple enough that when I pick up and play, I already know the controls. Other games, like VJDT, KCC and Star Fox Command do have foreign controls, but those games feature tutorials at the beginning of the game, making the game manuals obsolete.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:52 PM »
Game manuals are not obsolete. Read them always.
It's not like tutorials tell you everything about the game.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 06:43:44 PM »
Yes. I read them in school.

I read them, but the car ride home is short, so I only get a few pages done. I usually start the game as soon as I get home, then I read when I'm finished playing.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 08:08:32 PM »
I voted yes, especially for a game/ series I've never played. Or, maybe I'll do it for fun. However, I never read system manuals. But, with all of the things Wii has to offer, I plan on reading the manual.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »
I always read my system manuals too.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »
I always read my system manuals too.
Always?  So, every time you get a new DS game you read the DS manual that comes in it.  Always?

Games should be playable without reading the manual.  The manual should help make the game pwnable though.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print