Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 393647 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #975 on: September 15, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »
I'm set to get Bowser's Inside Story and maybe Scribblenauts later today.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #976 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »
I have Bowser's Inside Story now. It's pretty awesome.

It sucks that my DS is falling apart now.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #977 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
Say, how would you compare it to the previous M&L titles? Like, does it more heavily resemble Superstar Saga or Partners in Time?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #978 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
Yeah, I bought it. I've heard that, overall, it's more SS-esque, but so far I'd say it's a melding of the two--linear, yet not as formulaic. Then again, I'm barely an hour in.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #979 on: September 16, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »
I got Scribblenauts and will eventually get BIS.  Sooner if it's more like SS.  I'm busy right now building Lego Mindstorms retail and education robots. 

EDIT:  Scribblenauts is a cool concept, but the controls leave a lot to be desired.  On the other hand, M&L:BIS is better than expected so far.  I can't speak to how it compares as far as being open or linear, but the hummer is similar to SS so far. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:43:08 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #980 on: September 25, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
Somehow I forgot there were video games this week. I dig the title.

I'm not interested in anything on the list, but Gridrunner Revolution came out yesterday and I just downloaded the demo.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:47:39 PM by WarpRattler »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #981 on: September 25, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
Wait, Katamari Forever is out? The only way I knew about that game in the first place was from a Wikipedia article I read a month or two ago (then again, I never go to any sites with videogame news outside of Nintendo anymore...). Sounds tempting, but I've heard that everything past We Love Katamari has been criminally unoriginal.

Also, just what is You, Me, and the Cubes all about?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #982 on: September 25, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
Sounds tempting, but I've heard that everything past We Love Katamari has been criminally unoriginal.
I hated Beautiful Katamari because of the REHASHAN. I don't plan on getting the new one.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #983 on: September 28, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days had some changes made during localization that changed it from being an average-quality game about hitting shadow creatures with a key to being a really good game about hitting shadow monsters with a key that's nonetheless dragged down by unlikeable characters and an extra-lame story. Ignoring the story, I recommend buying it, but wait for the inevitable pricedrop (though GameStop is already selling it cheaper than most Square Enix games) unless you're a die-hard Kingdom Hearts fan.

The Gridrunner Revolution demo was tiiiight. Also, there's a bundle where you get Gridrunner Revolution and Space Giraffe (which is normally $20 on PC) together for $25. Highly recommended.

I didn't know of the existence of Dragon Quest Wars until I just looked it up, but now I'm simultaneously super-pumped for it and sad that it's DSiWare. It's a grid-based strategy game with support for up to four players online. And it's developed by Intelligent Systems.

Arkanoid Plus! will be totally awesome if sliding the Wii remote back and forth in the air to mimic the movement of the Vaus is a control scheme.

While we're on the subject of downloadable Taito games, Bust-A-Move Live! is an idea that can only be screwed up if the netcode sucks.

And continuing on the idea of download-only games, even Sony fanboys are making fun of the PSPgo!

And for Bird Person this week we have Bass Pro Shops: The Strike.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:25:30 PM by WarpRattler »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #984 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:18 AM »
To clarify, supposedly
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
is supposed to be pronounced "Kingdom Hearts: Three Five Eight Over Two Days"

Prince's old name was easier to discern than that.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #985 on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:44 AM »
It's actually pronounced Three-Hundred-And-Fifty-Eight Days Over Two, which is even harder to discern. The title ties heavily into the story, so pay it no mind.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #986 on: September 29, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
Well, since the story supposedly sucks, it's a nice match.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #987 on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:31 PM »
I guess I neglected to mention that the ROM was dumped early, so I was eight hours in by Saturday evening and know first-hand how bad the story is and how unlikeable the characters are. I'm not just going from a summary someone else wrote up. The rest of the game is good enough that I'll almost certainly buy it outright, though.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #988 on: September 30, 2009, 07:51:54 AM »
Roxas and Xion are the only unlikeable ones.  Mind you, most of the story focuses on them, sooo...

Yeah, needless to say, being the KH "fanboy" that I am, this one's been on preorder since July.  Movement with the D-pad is a little shaky, but other than that, the gameplay is nicely-done.  And the story can't be bad if none exists.  It just seems like it's jumping from one day to the next, whacking Heartless.  So if you call that a story, then I would agree, it's bad.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #989 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »
I call the constant interruptions during and between missions to talk with Nos. VIII and XIV over ice cream, be a coma victim, and delve into XIII and XIV's pasts more than enough "story" to take into consideration. And everyone became unlikeable in translation, which is why I'm glad half of the characters die a short way in.

(Mission Mode, by the way, is the best part of the game, and it's here where I compare one of the game's features to Diablo II, whereas normally I liken the game to a crappy-story-and-no-random-weapons-but-otherwise-awesome Soma Bringer.)

Print