Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 394168 times)

« Reply #1290 on: July 05, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
If you've been wondering where I was the last few weeks: I inadvertently locked my Windows install into infinitely rebooting while battling a virus and have had very limited internet access (using others' PCs). I still haven't fixed anything / bought a new PC but I decided to slap together the releases this week because they are immensely useful to me personally and I missed having the nice list. Apologies if anything is innaccurate since I don't have all my usual resources for fact-checking and videogame release information is a FILTHY WEB OF LIES. Ahem.

What came out interesting that I missed the last few weeks? Not too much IIRC. Was Art Styles: light trax in that time period? Because that was awesome. I gifted it to some people. XBLA got a Risk game that is pretty cool, except for the "ranked" matches that have no matchmaking so nearly every supposedly FFA game is dominated by secret teams of partied friends. RB had Miley Cyrus and Nickelback. :S Mario Tennis hit VC. I love that game very much and remember riding my bike six miles round-trip to town to rent it one time when my parents weren't around. The Cube version was inferior because the super-moves wrecked the game and took forever (Street Fighter IV syndrome ;P) and had boring music, as opposed to the N64's Camelotastic tunes that make heavy use of the real Mario themes too. I guess the Cube version had those pretty cutscenes and great blooper reels. But for gameplay: long live Mario Tennis (N64)

So this week:

Crackdown 2: Crackdown was one of the finest games about jumping ever made. TEM, bobman, me (more?) will be multiplayering the heck out of this one.

Moonbase Alpha: Some kind of free game from NASA

The Silver Lining: Some kind of free unofficial King's Quest 9.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition: The evilest and hardest of all Monkey Islands, hands down. Sometimes I wake up screaming in the night covered in the cold ice sweat of fear, woken from terrordreams of the hand sticking out of the wall "if this is three..." puzzle. I somehow passed that puzzle on my own, though I'm not sure if one could say I "solved" it. If you want to finish this game, you will eventually resort to walkthroughcheating. I guarantee it. I did too. When you were in diapers.

(Alternatively, if you're BP, you'll go to Jim's house to play it and he'll just tell you the answer to all the puzzles AM I RIGHT FOLKS!)

(Curse you Jim)

I love the campfire song at the beginning. I always liked to play it on piano.

The coolest part of this remake is the fact that it has a full commentary track by Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, and Dave Grossman. Legends, man. Pure legends.

« Reply #1291 on: July 05, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »
I'm considering DQ IX. Nintendo Power gave it a 9/10, so it can't be terrible.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1292 on: July 05, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
I can't make Dragon Quest IX a day-one purchase like I was initially planning to, but I guarantee I will be buying it within the next couple of weeks.

Jim gifted me SoMISE on Steam ages ago and I still haven't played it, so I'll probably wait to buy LeChuck's Revenge.

« Reply #1293 on: July 05, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
The Cube version was inferior because the super-moves wrecked the game and took forever (Street Fighter IV syndrome ;P) and had boring music, as opposed to the N64's Camelotastic tunes that make heavy use of the real Mario themes too. I guess the Cube version had those pretty cutscenes and great blooper reels.

The N64 game also had Toad as a playable character. Mario Power Tennis suffered from species (Shy Guy and Fly Guy!? Wasn't one freak in a mask enough?  Wiggler? Who ever wondered what tennis would be like with Wiggler? Petey Pirahna?!?! ...need I say more about Petey..?)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1294 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »
In the time you were gone I bought BIT.TRIP RUNNER and was very impressed.  My daughter loves the music, but my step-father thought, "What the hell," then watched hypnotically. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1295 on: July 10, 2010, 09:24:13 AM »
Crackdown 2: Crackdown was one of the finest games about jumping ever made. TEM, bobman, me (more?) will be multiplayering the heck out of this one.
I think I'm bailing on that because that game looks like it sucks hard. I thought it was going to be running really fast and jumping really high and shooting but it's auto-aim and Portal-walk speed.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1296 on: July 10, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
... it's auto-aim and Portal-walk speed.
Sounds like my kind of shooter. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1297 on: July 26, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
Crackdown is a platformer, not a shooter, but I'm not going to get into that while I'm on this PS3 web browser.

Last week: Limbo

This week: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Hydro Thunder Hurricane

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1298 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
Apparently StarCraft II will actually run on my computer (though I shouldn't be surprised, given that we're talking about a Blizzard game). But I'm still busy playing Dragon Quest IX.

Also, I'm getting a PSP, so I can start caring about PSP releases. And I discovered while looking up games for the system that a massive chunk of the stuff I'm interested in is Japan-only. To that end, Project Diva 2nd, the sequel to the hit Vocaloid-based rhythm game, and Neo Geo Heroes Ultimate Shooting, a sequel-thing to King of Fighters SkyStage that also includes that game in full, are out in Japan this week.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1299 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
I liked Limbo better back when it was in color.

But seriously, I don't know... I've heard it's good, but there's only so many times you can take the generic 2-D platformer outline, add some weird art style and a "deep" plot, and charge double-digit prices for it. Not that it matters, seeing as I don't have a 360.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1301 on: July 27, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
The first was sarcasm and the second and third were displaying the fact that brian doesn't own the game.

Lrn2read
every

« Reply #1302 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »
I know it was, but that's no excuse.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1303 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:48 AM »
...Excuse for...?
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1304 on: July 27, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »
Bob, I know it's been a while since you had a chance to call me out on spewing opinio-facts, but let's not get too eager.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print