Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 393153 times)

« Reply #1440 on: October 18, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
I haven't watched any YouTube videos; all my physics complaining comes from actually playing.

« Reply #1441 on: October 18, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
This week:

Super Meat Boy
Vanquish
Costume Quest
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Fallout: New Vegas
DJ Hero 2
DJ Max Portable 3
Power Gig: Rise of the SixString
Time Crisis: Razing Storm
Rock of the Dead
nail'd
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
The Shoot
Saw II: Flesh & Blood
ArcaniA: Gothic 4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011
EA Sports MMA
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
Shienryu (PS1 import)
Tall Unlimited (PS1 import)

Weekly Reading Assignment: Wasting Away

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1442 on: October 18, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »
Kirby's Epic Yarn has some awesome music.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1443 on: October 18, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
Enough of this bad-physics Sonic crap; this week we have real platforming goodness with Super Meat Boy. Elegant difficult walljump-based platformers is my second-favorite genre (N+, Splosion Man).

Vanquish is from Shinji Mikami, the man who made Resident Evil fun (RE4), the man who made one of the legendary Best Games Ever, God Hand.

Costume Quest is the first of DoubleFine's (Psychonauts, Brütal Legend) "smaller" games, each headed by a various staff member.

Poor Power Gig. You looked so cool before RB3 was announced. But now no one will buy you, ever.

Rock of the Dead is NOT from Sega, they're just shamelessly using the "of the Dead" name. Boo. It's "The Typing of the Dead, except with guitar controllers!" but looks bad. To do a game like that properly, there'd have to be an overarching song for each level, not just "play random riff" for each zombie. And it would have to be a REAL "of the Dead" game from Sega. In which case it would be properly titled The Rock of the Dead.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is a good time and I will punch your face if you disagree.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1444 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
If Sega made a rhythm-based "of the Dead" game I'd want it to be a Project Diva spinoff with the Vocaloids fighting zombies with music. The gameplay structure is already set up in a way that would go perfectly with the enemy positioning of lightgun games.

My copy of DJ Max Portable 3 still hasn't arrived. Hopefully it'll be here this afternoon...Nope. This is me right now:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:25:39 PM by WarpRattler »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1445 on: October 18, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
Weekly Reading Assignment: Wasting Away
lol, lorries.

Super Meat Boy and Costume Quest sound promising.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1446 on: October 18, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
Is that an insult against Vanquish and Kirby?

« Reply #1447 on: October 18, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is a good time and I will punch your face if you disagree.

Let me guess: You'd give it a 3 out of 10.

Epic Yarn is out already? I wasn't expecting it until later this year...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1448 on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
11 out of 10.

« Reply #1449 on: October 18, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Really? It looks too "conventional" for your tastes.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1450 on: October 18, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »
As stated before, Lizard Dude has a soft spot for Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1451 on: October 18, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Let me guess: You'd give it a 3 out of 10.

Epic Yarn is out already? I wasn't expecting it until later this year...
No, LD give FF:MQ a <3.  I recall enjoying it when it came out, but didn't realize it was so bad until I saw its reviews on the internet about a decade later.  The reviews didn't change my opinion of FF:MQ, but greatly affected the amount of salt I use on Final Fantasy reviews. 

I want Epic Yarn, but have spent way too much on pre-orders this year.  Rock Band 3 and The Sims 3 are going to kill our gaming budget.  Also, EY is getting so good reviews, but is often referred to as easy so maybe I can justify getting it for my daughter for Christmas.  Regardless, we're probably going to have to move next year so I should be saving money. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1452 on: October 18, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I hear people in #shmups (which, contrary to the name, is mostly general arcade chat) say good things about Razing Storm pretty often. Don't know if that'll apply to the home version, though.

The PSone imports seem to be picking up, but since they aren't translating stuff, I think the only PSone imports that can possibly be released that I'll buy without question are Umihara Kawase, Zanac X Zanac, and DoDonPachi.

yarn yarn yarn yarn yarn yarn yarn yarn yam yarn yarn yarn

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1453 on: October 19, 2010, 03:24:26 AM »
If Sega made a rhythm-based "of the Dead" game I'd want it to be a Project Diva spinoff with the Vocaloids fighting zombies with music.

Way to dream up a zombie game I wouldn't want to play. I hate Vocaloids.
No! I don't want that!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1454 on: October 19, 2010, 04:32:04 AM »
It could just use the gameplay style with new music. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Project Diva spinoff. I'm just saying that Sega already has that framework for the gameplay, and isn't afraid to reuse it (supposedly the K-ON! game they made uses the exact same gameplay but with the notes displayed in a more traditional fashion).

Besides, what about the sequence where KAITO and Len get torn apart by zombies?

Print