Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 393609 times)

« Reply #1755 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »
Just played the Limp Bizkit songs and "Re-Arranged" had a very interesting guitar part. For half the song you keep up a green/red trill while playing normal notes on top of that. It's cool to still come across charts that feel like something totally new.

I tried to play Odin Sphere on release but could not get into it. It just felt like Viewtiful Joe will all fun removed. God Hand is the MEGA MACK PIMP SUPREME though. (Not that anyone doesn't already know that.)

As the world's leading authority on Space Channel 5 Part 2, I will comment on the port quality tomorrow.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1756 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
It's too bad those charts are apparently for songs by bands I don't like.

And didn't that Space Channel 5 Part 2 port come out ages ago? At any rate, if it's anything like the other Dreamcast-to-current-gen ports Sega did, the only change will be that it's upscaled to 720p (the only one that had other changes was Crazy Taxi, which had all the licensed music and real store names removed).

(Dark Souls is installing as I post this.)

« Reply #1757 on: October 10, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »
I've put Space Channel 5 Part 2 (360, PS3) through its paces. The graphics look great in HD and the text is super crisp compared to the original pixel fest font. The only thing that looks like butt is the between-level pre-rendered FMV that couldn't be (easily) up-scaled. Same situation as God of War Collection (PS3). This is assuredly why there's no HD port of Part 1. It used FMV backgrounds in-game so you'd be seeing butt-o-vision at all time.

Other noticed changes:

• They added "hints" to the load screens. Retarded hints. And there's only like four total.
  • There's one instance where a character says the phrase "Circle Button Beam" out loud. In the 360 version, the whole line is removed and there's a weird couple seconds of a character talking to the screen with no sound coming out of her mouth.
  • The original game had costumes that unlocked when you hit 10, 20, and 30 hours of play time. These are changed to 3, 6, and 10 hours now.
  • I loved how on the original game's title screen the instant you hit Start it interrupted the music with a big orchestra hit. The magic of this moment is ruined in the port because after you press Start, not one but two dialogue boxes pop up asking you about what device to save/load from and THEN it does the hit. Super lame.

Space Channel 5 Part 2 is still the single greatest experience of all gaming history and this is the prettiest way to do it.

No one on my friends list has played it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1758 on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
I need to buy the enhanced Guardian Heroes remake that's out this week. I played the demo for a few minutes last night and had a good bit of fun.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1759 on: October 18, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
Arkham City (out today) has single-player missions that you have to pay extra for if you buy used.

This needs to stop. I don't have any issues with charging for online multiplayer or things related to it, but on-disc single-player content should not be locked behind a money gate (aside from the initial purchase, whether it's new or used) under any circumstances.

« Reply #1760 on: October 18, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »
It's not on-disc; it was a 250 MB download.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1761 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
Fair enough. (Were the sewers in Rage also a separate download? It's the same situation there, as I understand.)

At any rate, these particular cases may not be on-disc, but on-disc DLC is already common for multiplayer games. Who's to stop publishers from doing the same with single-player content?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1762 on: October 29, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »
Otomedius Excellent is out this Tuesday. Maybe. I hope. This is after two delays, mind you.

LD needs to start updating this thread again, especially since we're entering the month of fifty releases a week.

« Reply #1763 on: October 29, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
Kirby's Return to Dreamland is a very good game in the same vein as Kirby 64, which is to say it's a REAL Kirby game unlike those touch-controlled abominations.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1764 on: October 30, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
So a boring platformer for babies instead of an interesting unique game, got it.

« Reply #1765 on: October 30, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQ-aUfi_Sw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQ-aUfi_Sw</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elW5Hw2ONTg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elW5Hw2ONTg</a>

"For babies"?

« Reply #1766 on: October 30, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
Reaction to first video: Awsome! Classic Kirby music and- WHAT THE HECK IS KIRBY DOING IN KURBIO'S SHOE

Reaction to second video: The True Arena..? Didn't Kirby Superstar Ultra already do this...? I mean, it still looks neat, but likely nigh-impossible to beat.
*note: I didn't get to watch all of this video*
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1767 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
So a boring platformer for babies instead of an interesting unique game, got it.
This.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1768 on: October 31, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
LD had my hopes up for a game my daughter could play, but Weegee's videos suggest that she'll be watching me play on those levels.  Either way it'll be fun. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1769 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
LD hasn't responded because he's too busy EATING HIS WORDS.

Print