Print

Author Topic: Countdown to Wii  (Read 30568 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »
Aww, the low count just means that one is waiting for PtPeach...somewhere.
Don't count on it.  I searched three stores this morning only to find empty shelves.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2006, 12:55:04 PM »
I left around 6:30 last night to go find a store. Passed by Game Crazy who told me they were all sold out to those who reserved and warned us not to go to Wal-Mart or Target because they both already had lines around the store. Of course, he was talking about the downtown ones because I went to the one near my school and luckily the line had barely started.

There was a sign near the freeway that said the line started there and only two people were in front of me, only one of which was actually buying a system. So I stood next to them for 2 hours doing almost nothing until numbers 3 and 4 finally showed up. Then my mom had come back and brought me a chair and a sleeping bag. She took up a spot at the end of the line for my cousin who was also going to buy one. There was nothing really significant that happened though, other than a guy driving by shouting "PS3!", and an employee driving out at closing time and screaming "I already got my Wii, mother(you know what)" then throwing a display box at us.

The guy in front of me kept the line orderly and knew ahead of time the number of units the store was getting. After person number 24 (the number of units the store had) came, he pretty much told everyone that came that they probably wouldn't get one. Then I spent the rest of the night drinking Coke and playing my DS until around 12 when I fell in and out of sleep, not conking out until around 3.

I woke up around 6:13 to the sound of my mom's voice, who had brought me coffee. More people had arrived during the night, but the line wasn't very huge. So most of us cleaned up our area and employees started to arrive. At 7 am, two guys came out to us and explained the rules: They would hand out tickets to people in line and it was first come, first serve. About a third of the line didn't get a ticket and we were lead single-file to the front of the store. We had to wait another hour for them to open while early birds tried to line up only to be told they can't get one. Then the moment came.

The store opened and the ticketer guy lead us to the electronics section. There we handed our tickets to a security guard and chose our games and stuff. I managed to get a Wii, an extra Wiimote, ExciteTruck and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. My cousin got the same except for ExciteTruck.

As for the system itself, it is absolutely small. Pictures don't do it justice, you have to see and feel the thing yourself. The controls took me a little getting used to, but by the time I inserted Zelda, I was perfectly comfortable using the remote. Wii Sports is fun but very basic, and I'm horrible at ExciteTruck. Hopefully I can get better in time. As for Zelda, I didn't read any reviews but it controlled fine for me and its definitely the best Wii title out right now.

Overall, it was a fun experience but I wouldn't wanna do it again. The cold is brutal to you. Or maybe next time I'll come more prepared with a heater and a tent.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2006, 01:41:12 PM »
Awww, I wanted to get it at my Wal-Mart, but I had to wait in line until 12:01 A.M. I saw around 15 people waiting at 2:00 P.M. I didn't want to wait, because I would have nothing to do, and I wanted to watch Naruto at 9.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2006, 02:27:09 PM »
My dad had to drive for some bachelor party, so even if we left for the city at 7 AM, I probably would've still have ended up Wii-less.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »
As Mr. Wiggles went to a Target, my story involving a Target is pretty much the same. There were some differences, though:

Friday evening, around 7pm, there were around four people in line. Saturday evening, around the same time, about 20 were in line. I arrived around 8:30pm, with bagel chips, Gaaaatoraaaaade, sleeping bag, and lawn chair at hand. It was hard to sleep. The people around me talked about how Guitar Hero would look like on the Wii, then they played with their DSes and Magic cards they bought inside.

Nothing remarkable happened overnight...

I woke up around 6am to the crack of dawn, which happened to be behind the Target building. Good thing there was an office building with extremely reflective windows that decided to relay the message in a rather painful manner.

Around 7, the Red Shirts (heh heh) explained the rules, one ticket per paying customer, credit card must go through or you're blanked, free popcorn and coffee. #28/117.

At 8:30, I was out the door with Wii, Classic Controller, Zelda, and 4000 Wii Points at hand.

The people who came around 6am waited another two hours in line waiting for people to checkout. Meh.
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

Print