Poll

Would you?

Yes.
7 (53.8%)
No.
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Print

Author Topic: You Win, A Random Stranger Loses?  (Read 8710 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Would you?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
Nah
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »
On the other hand, though, that money could be used to save many more lives.

I'M SO MORALLY CONFLICTED
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
Where is the money coming from?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
Yes. In an instant.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »
Well if nobody knows that me pressing the button was the cause of the random stranger's death...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
Somebody does and always will. The person who matters most to you. You.

And that blood may as well be smeared all over the money. Every time you use anything you bought with it you'll remember what you did.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:06:35 AM »
What if you do it and donate the money to starving children?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:21:08 AM »
What if it were a person offering to donate the same amount to starving children if you directly murdered a stranger selected by him, with contracts confirming the donation would happen and there would be no repercussions for you?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 03:21:55 AM »
Wait wait wait. Where did these children come in? Push button, person dies, Scrooge McDuck swim through billionare monies
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
I'll answer this question with a video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzba7V8uB04" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzba7V8uB04</a>

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
P.S. Here's the movie of this thread:

Hello:)

• Goodbye:(
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Hack it so that it doesn't do anything but give cash
Good sir

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
The button is too shiny and red to resist pushing!
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
I would absolutely not do that. To this is to commit murder in order to become filled with worldly wealth. What good is gaining the whole world if you lose your soul? Matt 16:26.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
What if the person who got killed was somebody about to be given the death penalty anyway?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
Doesn't matter. I think capital punishment is wrong anyhow.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
What if random people were dying all around you while others were randomly becoming billionaires? 

What if pressing the button killed the previous person that pressed the button? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
I'll be honest with you, I'd be more comfortable killing a "winner," but by that point, inflation would give you little choice anyway. There are a lot of variables to consider, here, but in general, I see this hypothetical button as a one way ticket to madness and/or depression.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
I don't think all these extraneous factors have to be added to the equation to make it more or less appealing.  I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I was the direct cause of someone else's immediate death, regardless of how much money I received for it.  After all, I would probably feel guilty enough simply from getting money without earning it.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:43 AM »
Suffix, if you feel easier about killing a winner wouldn't others feel easier about killing you? 

Markio, I agree, but it is fun to debate various philosophical points related to the matter. 

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
I'm not saying it isn't ethically flawed. Rather, I'm saying that I am ethically flawed. I stand by my psychological evaluation of the hypothetical button, however, and also the inflation problem.

Essentially, if people were continuously killing off winners, continuing the process would become necessary for survival, as I imagine that with every other person being an instant billionaire, the dollar would be worth virtually nothing.

Print