Poll

Would you?

Yes.
7 (53.8%)
No.
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Print

Author Topic: You Win, A Random Stranger Loses?  (Read 8713 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
What if the person who got killed was somebody about to be given the death penalty anyway?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
Doesn't matter. I think capital punishment is wrong anyhow.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
What if random people were dying all around you while others were randomly becoming billionaires? 

What if pressing the button killed the previous person that pressed the button? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
I'll be honest with you, I'd be more comfortable killing a "winner," but by that point, inflation would give you little choice anyway. There are a lot of variables to consider, here, but in general, I see this hypothetical button as a one way ticket to madness and/or depression.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
I don't think all these extraneous factors have to be added to the equation to make it more or less appealing.  I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I was the direct cause of someone else's immediate death, regardless of how much money I received for it.  After all, I would probably feel guilty enough simply from getting money without earning it.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:43 AM »
Suffix, if you feel easier about killing a winner wouldn't others feel easier about killing you? 

Markio, I agree, but it is fun to debate various philosophical points related to the matter. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
I'm not saying it isn't ethically flawed. Rather, I'm saying that I am ethically flawed. I stand by my psychological evaluation of the hypothetical button, however, and also the inflation problem.

Essentially, if people were continuously killing off winners, continuing the process would become necessary for survival, as I imagine that with every other person being an instant billionaire, the dollar would be worth virtually nothing.

Print