Print

Author Topic: Guitars  (Read 4459 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »
Attention all guitarists and enthusiast on The Mushroom Kingdoms' Fungi Forums: 

Full disclosure, I have three competing Summer 2014 self assignments: 

- Prepare to teach AP chemistry - Important, but not related to this thread.
- Get fit - Again, not related to this thread.
- Learn/Re-learn to play Guitar - In case you hadn't guessed from the titled...

I have an Ovation non cutaway acoustic electric and a Fender Santa Rosa electric acoustic.  I have played other guitars, but these are the ones I kept. 

I plan to purchase or receive as a gift Rocksmith 2014 PS3 and/or PC (Steam) by Father's Day or early Summer. 

I played a lot (of guitar) during the early 90's, but haven't played much since.  Now, my daughter has a 3/4 scale classical (nylon) guitar and seems at least a little excited about learning to play guitar. 

On a related note, I want to learn/relearn to play guitar.  More specifically, I'm interesting in electric guitar. 

I have been out of the scene for a while, but as I recall, I loved the the warmth of the Gibson pickups, but also liked the range of Fender pickups/tremolos. 

I'm currently on a budget, but the Gibson Les Paul Junior seems attractive:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADQRXT2 or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPHHXGQ

I love the stain showing the real wood.  For the record, I'd be happy with any wood grain/stain from chocolate to cherry.  But, the lack of tremolo would limit my range.  Specifically, it would eliminate certain Van Halen tracks I want to play.  Note that while I am particularly attracted to Gibson, I am not against Epiphone as they have made significant strides and are nearly comparable (to my old ear) to Gibson on all accounts.   

I am also very fond of Fender.  Note the Fender Santa Rosa electric acoustic I still own.  With three pickup and a tremolo, Fender allows more variation in sound.  This is a big plus.

Here I should note that I grew up with Peavey (I still own a Peavey amp and also note that I am from South Mississippi) and Ibanez guitars http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/S770PBNTF .  I still think they are awesome(Peavey and Ibanez), but this may be a refection on my 80's and early 90's coming of age.  I was also very fond of B.C.Rich at the time. 

For appearance I prefer a Fender, Gibson Les Paul or SG with real wood slightly stained, but sound is more important.

For sound, I thing I'd prefer a Gibson with a middle Fender pickup and tremolo or a Fender with three Gibson pickups and a tremolo.  I'm very stuck here. 

TLDR; Please suggest a guitar for an old guy that loved the warmth of Gibson and flexibility of Fender.  (Also, note an 80's/early 90's guitar sound preferred with natural wood tones a plus). 

Suggestion? 

Thanks in advance.  (While on a budget, I hope to have something to practice on this 2014 Summer.) 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
Reply/Edit:  This looks like a nice comprise, but out of budget:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064RJTZ0\

Suggestions sub $500? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
Wow, that's a lot to ask for under $500! You might do best to save up in order to get what you really want. Since you're so specific, I would chat it up with some of the local music store owners. They get tons of stuff that comes through their stores, and they might be able to flag down some sweet deals if you're patient. You can certainly stand to relearn on that Ovation and that Fender that you have. Also, if you find a guitar without the pickups for which you're looking, you can always get the guitar and change the pickups later. Since you've got practice guitars right now, however, I'd simply keep saving and wait until the situation presents itself.

Myself, I'm an acoustic player, so I don't know much about electrics. I currently play a Taylor 214ce, a Mitchell Mandolin, and a Cordoba TM-CE Ukulele. I used to own an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow, but I traded her in for a pretty decent Electric-Acoustic Epiphone 12-string. I used to fool around on my buddy's Strat, but I just could never get into it. I'm not much of a soloist; I've got a much more "singer-songwriter" feel.  So take my advice for what it's worth -- not much.

I know that you didn't ask for a Telecaster, but this has always been the one electric that I would like to get. I think this is a reasonable price, even if it only has two humbuckers. There's actually a pretty large selection of well-priced teles on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Telecaster-Electric-Sunfire-Fingerboard/dp/B009YZA1B0/ref=sr_1_19?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1399772861&sr=1-19&keywords=fender+telecaster+72+deluxe

It's good to see that you are so concerned about tone color. I think it's very important to have good pickups whose sound resonates with you (pun intended). Again, I think the smartest thing that yo can do is look around in the local music stores where you live. There's always a deal to be had (especially with bargaining chips like that old Santa Rosa that you already have). If you could even get $100 for that guitar (and I have no idea what it might be worth), you could potentially buy up to one of those guitars that's just out of your budget.

Whenever I buy an instrument, I'm always sure to do my homework (which you've already done), but I'm also sure to look around in order to get the best possible deal.

Keep me posted with what you choose to do!

As to your other two goals:
1) Prepare well! The futures of young chemists hang in the balance.
2) I'm a marathoner -- if you're looking for fitness tips, PM me! I'm always happy to help.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:49:21 AM by Koopaslaya »
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
Thanks!  I came very close to buying and Ibanez with an active pickup today: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Electric-Guitar-S-Series-Natural-Wood-Look-S770PB-/191169602585 
I'm still considering it if he re-lists it.  Regardless, I'll take your advice and practice with what I already have. 

Edit:  "I don't run.  And if you ever see me running you should run too because something is probably chasing me."  Genetically speaking I am a sprinter, not a marathoner.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:34:57 PM by Luigison »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
If I were getting paid this Summer I would jump on this Epiphone Les Paul Plus-top Pro Fx Guitar 4th of July doorbuster for $399

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-plustop-pro-fx-electric-guitar

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT4j_NH_fes" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT4j_NH_fes</a>
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:53:25 AM by Luigison »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »
I ended up getting a Peavey Predator Plus.  See images below: 

I had problems with notes seemingly being out of tune.  At first I attributed this to the tremolo, but later realized that I was pressing too hard on the frets due to my acoustic playing.  Now it's good, but I may still need to work on the intonation of the G string a little. 

I also purchased a Peavey Vypyr combo/modeling amp: 

Note that this is the old version without USB.  Peavey has moved beyond the *newer* USB version to the VIP line.  Still, this allows me the most versatile sound short of VIP 2 or 3 with the AT-200 guitar from Peavey. 

At the time I considered a lot of guitars and amps, but in the end may have been prejudiced without foreknowledge being that I am from Mississippi.  Your thoughts? 

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
I'll tell you what, that guitar has a pretty finish! Generally I'm a fan of the older model amps from the 70s, but as far as newer amps go, I think Peavey is the way to go.

Luigison -- your next task is a video of you playing something on it! I'd love to hear how the setup sounds.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
One day, one day!  For now I need practice.  A lot of practice. 

Any amps or guitars you own worth posting images of and/or about?

I was interested in the Vypyr 60 and 120 as they have tubes and (from YouTube and other reviews) seem to better model the 70's sound you refereed to, but in the end thought cheaper was better until I got my ability up quite a bit.  I went with the Vypyr 30 for the price and versatility, my marriage, and my daughter.  I love my wife, but she has no appreciation for good music IMHO.  I also love my daughter, but she has sensory issues (sound, light, touch, etc.) that limit my guitar amplification. 

BTW, the best amp/guitar playing I ever heard first hand was from my brother-in-law using a tube VOX, but his playing was well beyond mine so I can't attribute all the awe to the amp itself as I was also in awe of his ability. 

Print