Print

Author Topic: New Smash Bros: Use of Games That Have Come Out Since Brawl  (Read 23417 times)

« on: June 20, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
In Smash Bros. Brawl, many characters, stages, and more were based on games that had come out between Melee and Brawl, such as Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Windwaker, Pikmin, and many more.

In this thread we can discuss what elements will be used from games that came out (and will come out) after Brawl in the next Smash Bros. games, the ones for the 3DS and Wii U that were confirmed at E3 this year.

I can see Nintendo making the train from Zelda Spirit Tracks be a level, having a yarn-themed stage based on Kirby's Epic Yarn, along with Prince Fluff from that game be a character.

What do you think could be used in the next Smash Bros. games based on the video games that came out after Brawl?

Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
I can't imagine Price Fluff becoming a playable character; he's a one-off from a relatively underwhelming instalment. It would be like including Gooey from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

There'll definitely be at least one level based on a stage from Super Mario Galaxy and/or SMG2.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
Probably Wuhu Island or some [dukar]. Also, a Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks Phantom as a character or trophy seems plausible. Otherwise, what everyone else said.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
Sadly, Miis will probably used in some form.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
Well, Mega Man 9 and 10 came out since Brawl...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
I think they should focus on Mega Man 1 through 6 before they start touching the more recent entries. Not that there's much they'd probably implement beyond just Mega Man himself...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
Just Brawl? Dude you realize that the newest franchise represented in Brawl was ****ing Pikmin right? They should think about what they've created since 2001 first
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
Why is it sad that Miis will be used?  Miis are one of Nintendo's biggest successes in years, and I think Wuhu Island would make a great stage.  Should a Mii be a playable character?  Maybe!  Miis have done so much at this point they'd be pretty easy to invent a move set for.  To me Smash Bros. games are a celebration of Nintendo's long and varied history, good and bad, and I'd hardly calls Miis bad.   

I think this is an exciting time to brainstorm about possibilities for this game, because Sakurai and his team aren't even to this stage of development yet!  In theory we'll be hashing out ideas at the same time as the team actually working on the game. 

I can't help but wonder who'll get cut and who'll come back.  If the jump from Melee to Brawl is any indication, I could see us losing one of the Fire Emblem characters, Lucario getting switched out for Zoarork, and maybe losing Wolf, similarly to how we lost Dr. Mario. 

There really haven't been all that many new franchises since Pikmin.  Animal Crossing already has coverage with the Smash Town level.  Other than that there's the Mii series games, ExciteTruck/Bots and... I think that's it?  I'd say Advance Wars deserves a playable character/level.

Playable Ridley.  I don't care if he has to be scaled down a little bit, but I want 'im.  Metroid needs more than one character, and Ridley is IT!  If Bowser can be playable, Ridley can too. 

Who knows if we'll see non-Nintendo guest characters again?  It'd be cool, but I can also live without 'em.  Snake and Sonic would of course be welcome faces again, but I'd for sure trade Snake for:
-classic Mega Man
-Pac-Man
-Simon Belmont

Don't get me wrong, Snake is super cool, but I feel like his contributions are much more about modern(ish) gaming and cinematic gaming, whereas the dudes listed are very old school, and more in line with Nintendo design philosophies.  All three of those dudes would also have KILLER levels. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »
Virtual Console should be an Assist Trophy. It would turn everyone except the user into 8 bit sprites, reducing their speed and power.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
Well, that's...appalling.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
Why am I not surprised?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
Headline-article disconnect. Thanks, games press.

As I said in the chatroom this morning when the article was linked there, there is a huge difference between "no plans for new games we just announced" and "we need team members for the new games we just announced, and it'll be a few years before the games happen."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »
Video game journalism would be much less of a joke if the average video game journalist could be presumed to know something either about video games or journalism. Most know nothing about either and are just mediocre-caliber nerds who were in the right place at the right time.

</irrelevant rant>
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
Correction: Most are just mediocre-calibre nerds who think they know what they're talking about, and were in the right place at the right time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:10:20 PM by Weegee »

Print