Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 8  (Read 40647 times)

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
You forgot the m8. Also unfortunately I have yet to own MK8. Woe is me.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
Good things about Mario Kart 8:
- Item balance is now less bull[dukar]
- Very creative track design
- Gorgeous shiny HD graphixx
- Awesome music (sound effects are also great)
- Overall, freshest feeling Mario Kart game in a long time

Bad things about Mario Kart 8:
- Many retro courses lost what made them magical (Yeah, it's dumb that you can just drive around Peach's Castle in Royal Raceway...but it's fun! They shouldn't have closed it off. And Toad's Turnpike's redone music sounds all "modern", for lack of a better term, and Rainbow Road 64 looks too different...)
- Item balance is still somewhat bull[dukar]: 150cc is a nightmare thanks to what's become too common in newer, more chaotic Mario Kart installments: Get the lead, cruise along in 1st place, get hit by items, reclaim lead, get hit by item at the very end and finish in 5th place

There are some things that aren't perfect, but overall Mario Kart 8 mostly met and/or exceeded my expectations.
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »
My biggest problem with Mario Kart 8 (which actually also replies to 7 as well) is the extra drum track that gets mixed in to the music when you have a sizable lead. It's just the same basic kick/cymbal pattern for every track, and while that works well with some music tracks (Electrodrome and Piranha Plant Slide come to mind) it really doesn't fit with others, like Sherbert Land or Moo Moo Meadows, with their rather minimal percussion.

That's actually my only major complaint. For the most part, this game has done nothing but impress.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »
As someone who has been a die-hard fan of Battle Mode from the SNES days, I must say that MK8 breaks my heart. Absolutely breaks it. They were clearly running out of time and put this battle mode in just because fans have come to expect a battle mode.

...But other than that, I've found this to be a pretty outstanding entry in the series. I like how twisty some of the new tracks get.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
Just played several rounds with LD; he dominated. :/

Fun, nonetheless! I caught up a couple of times, which surprised me, because I (usually) suck.
I'm a horrible person.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »

Looks believable enough, but wouldn't you have highlighted one of the new characters?

This one is fake; it's shopped over a still from this video from last E3. Exact same reflections on the TV and shadow of guy's face on wall.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
How would Plessie drive a car? She's too big.
insert Ridley in SSB joke here

CrossEyed7

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
So is Honey Queen.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
If the character-select one's fake, you gotta admire the amount of effort that went into it; it even says "Mario Kart DLC Pack" in the reflection on the top of the TV.  The other one seemed pretty dang unlikely image aside (how on earth would Shine Runners work on full racetracks?)  In any case, if those characters are for real, I'm not disappointed by the selection, though I would wonder if there's anything more to it.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
I can't see anything wrong with the character select picture, but I can't get past the fact that, if it's real, whoever was holding the gamepad could have just tapped the D-pad one slot to the right and gotten a photo that would be undeniably real, instead of one that might just be a really well-done fake.

I saw someone saying it was fake because Birdo wasn't next to Yoshi. Because apparently Birdo and Yoshi's relationship is unambiguously canon now, and that must be reflected in the character roster by putting them next to each other, just like how Mario is next to Peach, Luigi is next to Peasley, and Waluigi is next to Toadette.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:37:48 PM by CrossEyed7 »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
E. Gadd's head icon looks pretty fake to me.

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
Maybe something to do with the NFC figures?

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 09:11:44 PM »
I have a friend who has a Wii U. Since I've had a few MarioKart 64 tourneys in the past, he decided to invite me to a Mario Kart 8 tournament he had hosted this past weekend. I've played every version of Mario Kart except for the DS and 3DS games and, after a whole night, can come up with some legit pros and cons for it.

PROS
--The graphics. Considering I normally play Mario Kart on a 64, I think my "wow" factor was to be expected. Still, they look great.
--The music. I was a little disappointed in the Game Cube and Wii versions in terms of music (in general, some songs were good). Sure, it sounds a little bit like Wheel of Fortune music in the Wii U version, but it's still pretty good.
--The new item where it gives you one of everything is pretty neat.
--The fact you can use almost anything to control it is nice for those of us who have preferences. My buddy had practically every controller Nintendo has made in recent memory sitting out for us to choose from. Interestingly, nobody picked the wheels.
--Lots of kart customization options. It was honestly a little overwhelming at first!!
--Coins are back. It feels like SNES all over again.

CONS
--Maybe I'm going to be in the minority here, but there are way too many characters for my liking. 12 would have been more than adequate. Why do we really need a baby version of everyone, and how do these babies exist alongside their grown-up versions anyway? (I would have narrowed the roster down to Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Toad, Koopa Troopa, Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, and a Goomba--they really need to get one into a game sometime!)
--No fake item boxes!! Seriously, these were a classic item, even if N64 didn't have them.
--Not sure if maybe it's just me getting older, but it seems the computer got better on every lap. I'd be out in 1st or 2nd for the first lap or two, but then I'd always fall to 3rd/4th even with the computer on easy on the final lap.
--Only one SNES track. It's a good one though!!

Print