Print

Author Topic: Racism as comedy  (Read 18867 times)

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:19:31 AM »
Racism as comedy can take many forms, from just telling a racist joke to playing up stereotypes, and even pretending to hold racist beliefs. What are your views on it? Do you take part in comedic racism? Do you feel that people should be open-minded to the idea of comedic racism or do you feel that it's not an issue to be taken lightly?

I personally think comedic racism, while not always extremely offensive, is a form of lowbrow humor, and try not to indulge in it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:17 AM »
I'm trying to understand where this even came from. Are you doing some kind of social studies project?
That was a joke.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
No, I just know that a lot of people like to make light of racism in these and other ways, especially on the internet, and wanted to get the perspective of the people here just out of personal interest.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »
I love racial humor as long as there isn't hate driving it. Example being Dave Chappelle vs. some racist white guys telling n***** jokes at a bar (not saying black people can't be racist).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »
It bothers me when people center their entire social gimmick around racial humor, and a lot of black kids I've befriended made a habit of this. After a while it starts to get under one's skin.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Completely agreed with TEM. For instance, I've just finished reading A Practical Guide to Racism, which jokingly attempts to bluntly define each of "the nine major races: Hispanics, Blacks, Whites, Jews, Asians, Arabs, Indians (which includes 'dem 'Injuns'), Gypsies and Merpeople". As long as it's not rooted in hateful sentiments, there's nothing inherenly wrong with racial humour.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »

As long as it's not trying to promote division, I'm fine with it. I don't think we'll be in a perfect racial utopia until we can comfortably joke about race. It does depend a lot on how your audience is going to take it. Furthermore, if you ever plan on going into politics, don't ever go anywhere near any joke with any element of race, because it will come back to bite you.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
That image would be perfect if you could make their heads bob rhythmically to a killer beat.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
Someone do that on Flash and post it to Newgrounds.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »
Someone do that on Flash and post it to YTMND.

FIXED

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
I am surprised 'leave jokes at the door' was not mentioned at all in here.  I laugh at many racist jokes. I am happy as long as hate is not behind the joke.

What do you call an elevator full of white people?

A box of crackers.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Personally, yeah, as long as it isn't driven by hate or genuine racism, racial humor can be pretty hilarious.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »
To those who said they don't mind racism as comedy so far: where does it cross the line (or get close to crossing) for you? Do you feel the same way about the cartoons on Stormfront, or Encyclopedia Dramatica?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »
Yeah, see, ED's idea of "racial humor" is tossing around the word "******" like it's going out of style.
every

Print