Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. movie DVD coming to the UK  (Read 23077 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »
Great news for our UK readers: Metrodome will release the Super Mario Bros. movie DVD there on March 5th! This is the first ever DVD release for the movie in the UK. Unfortunately, we are told there will be no special features.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:35:19 PM by Deezer »

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:46:33 PM »
I didn't like that movie at all. I don't think it's worthy of having the name "Super Mario Bros." anywhere on it. It was just so off from the games. I know that it's a movie and the old Mario games didn't have much of a plot, but I think they could have done better.
Snifit 1: "Booster, Sir. There is a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake."

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
This movie is disgusting and it makes Mario look very bad.As far as I'm concerned,that..that..ABOMINATION does not exist.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:57:39 PM by Dark_Shark »
"A winner is you"

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »
I'd like to know what kind of mushrooms the producers of that movie were eating.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »
I'd like to know what kind of mushrooms the producers of that movie were eating.

Definitely not the good ones that Mario and the crew of the Bebop were eating.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:05 PM »
AARGH
WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS MOVIE?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
Because, quite frankly, it's terrible. I think the only way it could have been worse would be if Uwe Boll directed a remake...*shudders*

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 06:19:06 PM »
Even if DiC made one based on their cartoon, an animated Mario movie would've been much better.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:10 PM »
I didn't like it that much, but it had its upsides, I must admit.

Are there any people here from the UK, btw? I can't think of any off the top of my head...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 04:29:34 PM »
"The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach" really needs to be dubbed! (as long as it's kept away from DiC and 4Kids)  I mean why should the Japanese alone get such an awesome animated feature while the rest of us get tortured by this live-action piece of crap?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »
I really loved this movie just because it had Mario in it. I thought it was funny and awesome, just like the cover says it is.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 07:49:16 PM »
I liked the movie a lot, partly because I really love movies that fit in the category of "cheesy, and good, but not great".  Also everything that isn't EXACTLY LIKE THE GAME is sure to upset a bunch of people who pretty much fit my description of an average FFer (and boy was I right!)

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:56 AM »
I have a funny story about this thread that I'll tell you guys later.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »
I don't mind if there are a few things that aren't exactly like the game as long as the producers don't go overboard.  The SMB movie went overboard by turning Toad and Bowser into humans, and...

This...

...is a Goomba.

This...

...is just wrong.

Regards, Uncle Dolan

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »
Jeez, can't you people take a little bit of personification in their movies? A SMB movie that stayed true to the plot would be awful boring, just watching Mario jump, throw fireballs, swim, eat, steal money, go through pipes, and die would be awfully boring. Just enjoy the movie for what it is: a cheese-fest with some entertainment value.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 06:18:43 PM »
That 2nd Goomba looks like it could kick the crap out of Mario. The 1st...........will get killed. The Movie actually presents some challenges for the Bros. to over come, while in the game, they can stomp out everything.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 06:39:47 PM »
I don't want a SMB movie that stays 100% true to the games' plots.  In fact I never said that I wanted one.  The games' plots are basically skeletons of the whole picture.  Movies cannot have skeletal plots.

"a cheese-fest with some entertainment value" That's kind of what I bought the SMBSS DVD sets for.  Actually I'd like to watch this thing again just to laugh at the inaccurate character portrayal and its cheesiness.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »
GAH!! This movie is ridiculous! I don't even want to remember it, they stripped Yoshi of his pride. and turned him into a ET slash T-rex  slash turd monster thing!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
A part of me died when I first saw this.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »
GET IT AWAY!!! AHHH!!

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 02:32:25 AM »
But it's a live-action movie and that's how dinosaurs really look...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
Yoshi didn't have to look that way. :(
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »
Too bad, that's the look they went with. I like the movie a bit myself, particularly because of the little background references to the games, but I still think an animated movie would've ended up much better.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
I believe there was an animated Mario movie.It was called "Mario vs Mecha Koopa".It could just be an episode from one of the old cartoons.I'll try to find out more about it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:27:42 AM by Dark_Shark »
"A winner is you"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 06:22:27 PM »
There belive there was an animated Mario movie.It was called "Mario vs Mecha Koopa".It could just be an episode from one of the old cartoons.I'll try to find out more about it.
It is an episode from one of the old cartoons.  The SMBSS, I think.  I remember seeing that title or a similar title on one of the DVD sets.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »
OMG

The SMB movie predicted 9/11  O.O
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »
Here's a link for you haters:

http://www.destructoid.com/why-the-super-mario-movie-is-an-underappreciated-masterpiece-29694.phtml

The only thing that this article did was remind me how much I hate this movie and why it is so putrid.
"A winner is you"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »
I think Bob Hoskins is a genius actor.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 02:27:22 PM »
Capt. Lou beats his pants off!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
Yeah, I'd have to say Capt. Lou was the best pre-Martinet Mario.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 06:29:19 PM »
I have the Super Show DVD, and I can easily say that Lou was not taking his role as seriously Hoskins did.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »
It was a kids' cartoon.  Of course the role wouldn't be taken as seriously.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »
Yeah, we all still remember the "Hey, Paisanos!" And the hilarious "Double jump" Don't we?

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 09:09:14 PM »
Capt. Lou beats his pants off!

Hypothetically, Capt. Lou could beat the pants off of Bob Hoskins. XD

Yeah, we all still remember the "Hey, Paisanos!" And the hilarious "Double jump" Don't we?

What was the "Double Jump"? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I just can't place it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »
Well, in the neding credits, Capt. Lou (Dressed as Firey Mario) Dances around with the "Do the Mario!"
Around the End, he jumps once, but then is about to trip over. It could just be a camera error..

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 08:14:15 PM »
Oh, at the end of the closing credits! Yea, I remember that! I always thought it was weird that Mario would move and do a jump, only to move again a split second later.

I don't think he was dressed as Fire Mario, though.. in fact, I'm pretty sure that he was dressed just as plain old Mario.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007, 03:35:49 PM »
Nope, try again.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 08:11:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was dressed as plain Mario.  If you look closely, you can see that their shirts are are really light blue.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2007, 08:34:23 AM »
I watched it again, and his shirt is light blue. He's just plain old Mario.

This is almost like asking what color a Smurf is..

Why are Smurfs blue?

We're not! We're green. Adjust your TV!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007, 11:25:55 AM »
Why are Smurfs blue?

We're not! We're green. Adjust your TV!

I remember that commercial!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 03:49:30 PM »
That makes a grand total of 3 people that remember that commercial.. you, me, and my fiancee.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 05:19:37 PM »
Make that 4. I remember it too, though I never have liked the Smurfs.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 07:45:51 PM »
Q: Why does Wile E. Cyote keep shopping at Acme Inc. if all the products backfire on him?

A: Good line of credit.

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 05:33:45 PM »
Lou was not taking his role as seriously Hoskins did.

It would be pretty difficult for Captain Lou Albano to take his role seriously.CLA was in the WWE wrestling buisiness.I imagine doing both would be awfully tiresome.

I think Captain Lou Albano's voice acting was better than Hoskin's acting.
"A winner is you"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 06:38:13 PM »
Don't you mean WWF? You know, that was 1989...

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
Don't you mean WWF? You know, that was 1989...

Yes,actually I did.Wasn't that around the sametime as SMBSS?
"A winner is you"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2007, 05:47:05 PM »
Hence the fact that Captain Lou was considered for that role. Sargent Slaughter made a guest appearance on there, too.

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2007, 05:59:40 AM »
This movie is disgusting and it makes Mario look very bad.As far as I'm concerned,that..that..ABOMINATION does not exist.

You haven't seen abomination --> check this ebay item out - it's the Making of the Super Mario Bros movie. LOL!!!!
And the dude selling it admits the movie is crap.

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 06:27:47 PM »
Even if DiC made one based on their cartoon, an animated Mario movie would've been much better.

Funny, I made a post about that during my first year here.
Still, I want that DVD. If anyone lives in the UK area...don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2007, 07:24:35 PM »
I found the movie (divided into parts of course) on YouTube.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
I found the movie (divided into parts of course) on YouTube.

Could you PM me the URL, then? I searched on YouTube for it, but it wasn't there.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
I'm not sure if I can find it again.  It was one of those things that I found by chance.  I'll see if I can't find the URL of the guy that submitted them.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print