Print

Author Topic: E3 2006: Super Mario Galaxy  (Read 29353 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:46:07 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy (temporary name)
Format: Wii
Launch Date: TBA
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Action Platformer
Accessories: Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller
Players: 1-2
Developer: Nintendo
KEY INFORMATION
The ultimate Nintendo hero is taking the ultimate step - out into space. Join Mario as he ushers in a new era of video games, defying gravity across all the planets in the galaxy.
-- Shake, tilt and point! Mario takes advantage of all the unique aspects of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controller, unleashing new moves as players shake the controller and even point at and drag items with the pointer.
-- Mario essentially defined the 3-D platforming genre with Super Mario 64, and this game proves once again that he is king. Players perform mind-bending, low-gravity jumps across wild alien terrain as they experience platforming for a new generation.

Game storyline: When some creature escapes into space with Princess Peach, Mario gives chase, exploring bizarre planets all across the galaxy.

Characters: Mario, Peach and enemies new and old.

How to progress through the game: Players run, jump and battle enemies as they explore all the planets in the galaxy. Since this game makes full use of all the features of the Wii Remote, players have to do all kinds of things to succeed: pressing buttons, swinging the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk, and even pointing at and dragging things with the pointer.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Since he's in space, Mario can perform mind-bending jumps unlike anything he's done before. He'll also have a wealth of new moves that are all based around tilting, pointing and shaking the Wii Remote.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:46:34 AM by Deezer »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:20:03 PM »
Could this be... the true Mario 128?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
If it breaks new grounds in gaming as we know it, it most likely is the true Super Mario 128.  I saw a screenshot, and it looks amazing.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:22:05 PM »
My gosh, this sounds brilliant! I've never been so excited about a Nintendo game in years!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:29:43 PM »
I looks rockin!!! I gotta get it! (Also it looks like the true sequel to Super Mario 64) My niece (and I) will be most pleased. The screenshot looks rockin!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
Don't mean to be negative here, but based on screenshots and the news from G4's special on E3...

No...just...no.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:43:24 PM »

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »
I finally registered on the Fungi Forums just so I could talk about this game. I don't know what to say, except I'm crazy excited about it. My favorite franchise + my favorite genre = <3

I think the name sounds great, and I wouldn't mind if it stuck. It'll be interesting to see what kind of classic Mario enemies show up in this new environment.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:33:01 PM »
TATANGA

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 12:26:09 AM »
Nintendo, you rock! :D :D :D
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:30:51 AM »
Oh, but I hope this ISN'T the final Super Mario 128. Why? Because then we have this AND SM128! But it looks amazing.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 05:25:31 AM »
It's not Super Mario 128, it's the next game in the progression: Super Mario Land, Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy.  I guess Super Mario Sunshine could be part of this prograssion too, between World and Galaxy, in place of the missing, ugly-named Super Mario Stellar System.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:27:39 AM »
Didn't we hear that SM128 was going to have a new character?  Do you think the enemy could be this new character?  Otherwise, I bet it could be something that helps you work with the new controller, like a cute little alien that explains things you should already know.  "Swing the controller around like a madman to make Mario jump to the next planet!  Be careful not to break things!"

Edit: I wish that Mario could rescue someone else besides Peach this time.  Like the presidents from each planet or something!  "Oh thank heavens!  I'm back to my old planet again!"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 08:30:27 AM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 10:38:17 AM »
Definitely worth the 4 year wait.

*Is willing to sacrifice his first child for the game*
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
*sobs* It's just... too good to be true...

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »
Well... after research, It's not Super Mario 128, but more of a sequel to Super Mario Sunshine. Besides, SM128 is going to be for the GameCube. If it was for the Wii, it would be probably be Super Mario 256 (GC has 128-bit color).
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »
TATANGA
Grr! I was going to say that!
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 03:51:11 PM »
I heard somewhere that SM 128 was going to be a puzzle game.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »
Besides, SM128 is going to be for the GameCube.

Q: Mario 128 will be released for Revolution, then?
MIYAMOTO: Yes, of course! ...

Source
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 05:07:46 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »
i saw the videos on ign. all i can say is wow..... this looks like the best 3d platformer game yet. it just keeps getting better. i hope yoshi is in it.

reason why this game looks cool
-its in space!
-excellent graphics
-motion sensors

reasons why this game might not be good
-they didnt show any attack besides spin and jump there might be more

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 11:07:06 PM »
Wii just shot from probably top of my list, to definite top of my list. As soon as it goes on preorder, I'm putting a full down payment as well as payment for like 6 games. Nintendo, please have my children. This game looks stunning. I hope some more gameplay details go up after a couple of days. I really want to see a good list of all Mario's new moves. This is gonna be so sweet.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 11:17:07 PM »
i saw the videos on ign.

Whoa. I didn't even know there were videos until I saw this post. The videos jerked me to my senses instantly. This game looks several thousand miles beyond cool.

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 05:50:23 AM »
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is on another planet!"

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 10:35:35 AM »
Man! I looked at the game, and said a bit of "wow". I don't think it really heightened my expectations. I guess need to find out more about it if I really wanna be very happy about it...

I saw the movie too, but it didn't really tell me anything...
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:05 PM »
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is on another planet!"
Ahahaha.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 03:55:26 PM »
After a bit of thinking, it looks as though they've made a whole new game based around the No-FLUDD bonus stages from Sunshine.

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 06:34:40 PM »
After seeing the videos on IGN.com I must say that this game will be awesome.... As far as the rumor of this being the actual Super Mario 128, I have to say it probably is.  However, Miyamoto did say that he was keeping SM128 under tight wraps, so I think that this little tech demo that was shown at E3 is just peanuts compared to what we will really get when it is released.

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 07:47:01 PM »
I'm probably the only one here who has doubts about this game. This is the third game (After PM:TTYD and ML:PiT)where some kind of space creature kidnaps the princess. Don't get me wrong, though; from what I've seen, I think the graphics are great and the levels are fun; I just feel that the space storylines are getting repetitive.

I own a Virtual Boy...I guess that's it

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »
I personally think the game looks like what I'd imagine playing Mario 64 during an acid trip, would be like.

It looks kinda trippy, but in a good way. I guess it looks alright.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 09:39:44 PM »
This is the third game (After PM:TTYD and ML:PiT)where some kind of space creature kidnaps the princess.

Fourth... don't forget SML.

btw, you don't need to copy and paste your sig. Just click profile on top of the screen, and look through the navbar on the left hand side.

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Ultima Shadow!

PS. How long until I can post topics?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2006, 06:18:12 AM »
There's one fundamental problem with the game. How can Mario survive in space?

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2006, 06:44:44 AM »
Who cares? It's a video game. It's awesome. And it will be even better on the Wii.

Hey, I get to say this this time! :P You have to be a good member and post at least 25 replies to start making topics, VB.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 09:35:07 AM »
I don't think it's actual outer space. In one of the videos, Toad said "Welcome to Star World".

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »
This game is out of this world (no pun intended)! From the looks of it, the Wii is going to be the system of the year adn I've got Mario to thank for it. I've been drowning myself in music lately so this is welcoming news.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2006, 02:19:26 PM »
Any word on the release date for this beast? It still says "TBA" everywhere I look. Do you think it's implied that this game will be out in '06? Metroid, Zelda, and Mario all for launch would be a fanboy's dream.

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2006, 08:15:13 PM »
There's one fundamental problem with the game. How can Mario survive in space?

Ahem.

Mario can survive underwater in a number of games, apparently without breathing.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »
What about SM64 and SMS?

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2006, 11:12:14 AM »
The inconsistency doesn't really prove much.

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2006, 11:23:04 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Qw1ClCVN8&search=super%20mario%20galaxy

The robot looks like a giant Snifit.

There's apparently air in this galaxy, as all explosions and every other sound effect can be heard.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 12:04:17 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
Noice!

This will be better than SMS.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
After a bit of thinking, it looks as though they've made a whole new game based around the No-FLUDD bonus stages from Sunshine.

It wasn't like that at all...

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2006, 09:49:49 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Qw1ClCVN8&search=super%20mario%20galaxy

The robot looks like a giant Snifit.

There's apparently air in this galaxy, as all explosions and every other sound effect can be heard.

Utterly. Astounding.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 01:13:35 PM »

It wasn't like that at all...

Then how was it? I'm eager to know....

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2006, 06:50:05 PM »
I saw the videos at www.gametrailers.com and www.e3insider.com

Super Mario Galaxy is the true sequel to Super Mario 64! It will hopefully define what next-generation platformers are going to be!

Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Sonic Wild Fire... looks like the Wii has an excellent launch lineup! (Smash Bros. Brawl is coming in 2007, so it's not technically a launch title.)
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »
As far as I know, Super Mario Galaxy will not be a launch title.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2006, 08:12:10 PM »
I don't know about this yet.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »
This game looks incredible.  I haven't been this excited about a 3D platformer since Super Mario 64... Galaxy looks to be just as beautiful and awe-inspiring as SM64.  I never thought I'd be down for Mario in space, but seeing it now, it seems so perfect. 

Here's hoping for Tatanga in there somehwere!  If not the final boss, at last as A boss.  Because honestly, you know Nintendo's just gonna have "Space Bowser" at the end or something.  Though... if they do have Space Bowser, I wouldn't mind having Space Koopalings... they STILL have never been in 3D! :(
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 09:43:57 PM »
Speaking of Koopalings, I'm actually hoping that Bowser Jr. sits this one out.  I don't personally like the character, and think that Bowser seems a lot more menacing on his own.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2006, 06:59:12 AM »
I have a feeling that they thought up a new character for the Villan role.

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2006, 02:13:16 PM »
Speaking of Koopalings, I'm actually hoping that Bowser Jr. sits this one out.  I don't personally like the character, and think that Bowser seems a lot more menacing on his own.

Oh yeah, I meant the Koopa Kids (Lemmy, Larry, etc.).  Bowser Jr. is one of my least favorite characters of all time, and I personally hope he sits out EVERY GAME EVER. 

I'd love to see Tatanga reprise his role as Intergalactic [Bad Dude], but I just don't trust Nintendo to give props to their forgotten Mario villains (i.e. Bowser Jr. replacing the Koopa Kids, Kammy replacing Kamek, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:32:03 PM by Sapphira »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2006, 08:29:51 PM »
He's got no chance whatsoever, but if Smithy showed up, I would pee my pants. I'll settle for Tatanga, though. :-)

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2006, 08:42:08 PM »
Bowser Jr.'s not a bad character per se:  He just came after the Koopa Kids, which kinda messed things up... In conclusion, I don't know what to think.

I saw the videos on TMK!  They're great!  You guys played like pros, too!  It's too bad the demo ends when you get a star.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2006, 02:40:53 AM »
Yeah..Well I watched those videos to where David from TK plays it. It was impressive.
Wii will rock you! Really.

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2006, 11:17:59 AM »

Agreed..............................or WART!
"A winner is you"

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »
I'm speechless.

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 06:45:51 AM »
Remember the Bowser Jr. from the Mario Party series?Man he was a annoying version.The Current bowser jr is....crappy too.He just plays a minor role.And his voice and attitude is annoying.Bring back the koopa Kids. Each one had different attitude and cool look.Ludwig could easily replace Bowser Jr. since he is the oldest of the Koopa kids.He would make a fierce rival to Mario.
Que dios the Bendiga Eddie Guerrerro.
May God Bless you Eddie Guerrero.

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »
WOW!!!!Mario beat that robot without even touching it!!!!
"A winner is you"

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2006, 07:02:54 AM »
Do you think there´s going to be bigger planets?
Wii will rock you! Really.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »
Miyamoto said there would be areas that take place on large, flat planets with an atmosphere.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2006, 10:16:14 AM »
IGN added some new images on 07/19/2006, but I think they made a mistake on one.  Looks like SMS art to me. 
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748588/imgs_1.html
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »
IGN has a habit of taking artwork from previous games and showing them in galleries for newer games that are possibly in the same series.

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
Looks like some space rabbits, there, are... attacking... Mario?
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
Nah, you chase them. Check out our videos to see it yourself.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2006, 06:07:53 PM »
I've seen all of the videos and I noticed something about the enemies and bosses: they all have tube-shaped mouths! Are tube-shaped mouths how Nintendo differentiates denizens of the Mushroom World from creatures from outer space? And what exactly are goombas doing in space?

P.S. I think that the robot boss is way too easy to defeat...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »
The bosses were easy for use to beat because we knew how.  Keep in mind that we watched a lot of people play while we waited for our turn.  They may have been easy anyway, but meh.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2006, 09:22:51 PM »
Most likely they were easy because it was the demo. And the planets that you had to be on to get to any of the bosses kinda showed you what to do to defeat the boss.

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2006, 08:40:03 AM »
Yeah i noticed that both bosses were easier than i thought.I just hope that the difficulty increases as it is being developed.
Que dios the Bendiga Eddie Guerrerro.
May God Bless you Eddie Guerrero.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »
Looks like the Wii is the definite videogame system this Christmas! With the PS3 being delayed in Europe, gamers will have to look somewhere else to find the newest games this Christmas... Either Xbox 360 or Wii.

I WANT MY WII!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2006, 02:20:30 AM »
Looks awesome, its time for Mario to show what he can do from spinning to the most mind-bending jumps possible (for Mario)

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2006, 02:40:11 AM »
And another thing, if the bad guy is tatanga, what will he look like, will he be out of his ship. Another possibility is Wario (not the biggest posibility though) because the game super mario land: 6 golden coins has Wario using Tatanga as a keeper of one of the coins so it is possible Wario hired him to get Peach. Or maybe Tatanga might be on of the bosses like the robo-snifit. And maybe this is the sequel to Super Mario Sunshine and Bowser Junior has grown up and ready to fight Mario again............................ 

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2007, 09:41:37 PM »

With this and "Shine Get" we could make an awesome techno tune!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »
Ummmmm....Yay?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »
Could this be... the true Mario 128?

The true Mario 128 is just the name for a program Mr. Miyamoto has that he uses to play around with his game ideas.

I don't remember where I read that, but I do remember that it was in an interview and Mr. Miyamoto said it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:03:43 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »
The tech demos page has the latest info on Mario 128.

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
in case you didnt know, peach is taken by like aliens and you have to g to new worlds and save her
Got Mario?

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »
Really.
What's this fascination that n00bs have where they announce year-old information and act like no one's heard of it?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »
Ya got me, but this guy isn't an average n00b. He seems vastly underaged.

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2007, 06:05:48 PM »
i was just saying if you didnt know u dont have to mean about
Got Mario?

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2007, 06:07:13 PM »
That's because the majority of us already know about it. And if you would actually read the topic, you can see that.

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
ok im sorry,
Got Mario?

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2007, 11:28:04 PM »
Really.
What's this fascination that n00bs have where they announce year-old information and act like no one's heard of it?

Easy guys, easy! Making fun of him and criticizing his actions aren't going to help. I have yet to see anything he has done to hurt the site, so mabey we should all be a little nicer to him.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »
Never!
That was a joke.

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »
just drop it, and go on talking about Mario Galaxy
Got Mario?

Print