Print

Author Topic: PSP or Nintendo DS...  (Read 5940 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 03, 2006, 07:45:06 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a new game system. I'm not interested in the overly-expensive next-gen consoles, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Should I buy the PSP or Nintendo DS? I have played the PSP before, and I love it. The wide screen is dazzeling, and the controls and graphics are perfect. The Nintendo DS is very innovative. I played Mario Kart DS and I loved it. I really enjoy the sharp 3D graphics and dual-screen features of the DS.

So which one should I buy? I realize the PSP is $250, while the DS is only $130... but anythiong less than $300 is fine with me. (The high price of PS3 and Xbox 360 is another reason I don't care about the next-gen consoles.)

P.S.: I can't wait for the Revolution. It will be affordable (under $300), easy to develop for, and it uses the coolest controller I have ever seen!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 07:56:43 PM »
I say the DS.

WHY? Because I'm a Nintendo fanboy? NO(not completely, anyway)! My friend, let's call him Billy Squier, bought a PSP when they first came out. He begging me to get one so I could play games with him. I said, sorry, chum, I already have a DS. About 2 months later he sold the PSP for about 3/4s of its original price.

I say, "Billy, why'd you sell it?"

Squier says, "I didn't ever play it."

1 year later, he buys a DS. He's very happy with it and plays it often.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:58:08 PM »
If you like the new, unique way of playing games and getting all those Nintendo games, get DS.

If you like the classic, normal, simple, and good graphical kind of games, then PSP is right for you. Of course, most FF members will say DS, though, since this is a Mario site.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »
Get ready for some crazy system/company-bashing in this thread.

Anyway, I think you should get the DS. I'm not biased, other than the fact that I own a DS and have never played a PSP. The DS is indeed $130, but game price must be accounted for, too. With Mario Kart DS and one more game, the price will cost you ~$165, give or take a couple. The PSP, however, will run you a lot more. System price is $250, but games run $40-50 each. If you want to do more than play games, you'll need another memory stick aside from the one provided, which can range from $40-100. The movies themselves must be pretty expensive, too. If you're a cheapskate, like me, get the DS. I'm not going into gameplay because I've never played the PSP so I can't tell you which is better.

Plus, the DS has that handy MKDS bundle, with a firey red DS. What's better than that?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
I will also suggest you get a DS. I think the DS has a larger game library (though larger is not always better). I have heard that battery life for the PSP is rather low compared to the DS, but I have never owned a PSP, so I don't know for sure.

I also think that the FFs are a bad place to ask this question.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
 The Fungi Forums really aren't the best place to get an answer unless you really have no desire to get a PSP, as you will see very little in the way of support.

However, I do believe this thread may be of some help. Don't let the name of that thread fool you.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:29:43 PM »
Your question is similar to "Please type 'DS.'" The PSP is Sony's interpretation of a GameBoy--a portable PS2. The DS is a new Nintendo system that happens to be portable. After you buy two games to go with your PSP, you've spent over $300. The Play-Yan should be available in the USA sometime this year, enabling MP3s and MPEGs to be played on the GBA, SP, Micro, and DS. And don't forget the equation, gameplay>graphics. The DS has great gameplay. SM64DS, MKDS, and Kirby Canvas Curse are the 3 DS games I own, and they're all great games. The graphics aren't even that bad. MKDS had graphics we wish MK64 had. Now, the PSP has better graphics, but it looks more boring. It's like "watching carpet" as its own commercial describes. How exciting is your carpet?
The battery life is lower on the PSP. Embarassingly lower. I don't know how long, go look it up yourself.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:41:59 PM »
I hate to say it (Okay, so mabey I don't) but this is a Mario site! Almost everyone, if not everyone, will pick the DS.  If you need reasons. Here are some of mine:

Reasons I don't like the PSP:

1. The games are pretty bad.
2. They spent way too much time on music and DVD's instead of improving the games.
3. It has bad table manners! I mean, look at this mess!
4. It isn't something revolutionary. (It didn't change the way people look at games.)
5. It's design is nothing an average guy of the street could not have come up with.

Reasons I like the DS:

Everything I don't like the PSP for.

So there you have it. They are my opinions, not yours. If you hate me for it, that's fine. Then again, I'm pretty sure most people will agree with me....
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 09:10:20 PM »
About your #5, good and obvious observation.
GBA
PSP
Open them both in new windows and alternate by clicking them on the task bars. See a resemblance?

The comercials even tell you how bad the PSP is. The people use it for 5 seconds and throw it. They compare it to watching carpet. An act of unintelligence if you ask me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:12:18 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »
You mean 4, don't you BP? I don't think bad table manners is any reason to hate someone. XD

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »
No, 5. The fifth one.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »
Oh.....X_X

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 09:43:35 PM »
I don't understand why your logic applies only to the PSP and not any other piece of hardware. Allow me to explain, but first, I will be making one assumption as I continue. I consider it a rather fair one, considering the forum, but that assumption is that you like the Nintendo GameCube. If I am mistaken, by all means, let me know.

As I read through the five reasons that you have kindly listed for us, PaperLuigi, I began to develop a few questions. I'll go through them in order for completion's sake.

"1. The games are pretty bad."

I didn't have much to say about this one. It's certainly one's own personal opinion, but this list is of your reasons, so it's certainly alright.

"2. They spent way too much time on music and DVD's instead of improving the games."

Another opinionated statement, but that's expected in a list such as this. However, it's worth pointing out that the PSP does not run DVDs, but instead UMDs. Though I don't really see how it's Sony's job to step in and "improve" PSP games when they are not the ones developing them. I suppose my problem with this reason is that I don't see where adding extra features such as MP3 and UMD playback have any effect on the quality of games being released on the system. I believe it's fairly obvious to see that the PSP's hardware was certainly not neglected in the sense of its capabilities during its construction, and is up to the developers to utilize that hardware.

If your problem is the inclusion of such 'extra' features in the first place, I don't believe I have a response to that. I guess my position on that is so long as there is no sacrifice to the hardware, I don't see it as a problem.

"3. It has bad table manners! I mean, look at this mess!"

"4. It isn't something revolutionary. (It didn't change the way people look at games.)"

In all honesty, I believe it was this reason that had prompted me to post again. This is something I would like to discuss, as I've seen it pop up in the past.

This argument hadn't really been used before the advent of the NDS and the Nintendo Revolution. Since, however, I've seen it used, generally for support of Nintendo, quite often. My question to you is does every console/handheld need to be a revolution? Why is it that up until recently, everyone had been fine with the creation of a new console, but now that the NDS and I assume, the Revolution have "changed the way we look at games," that every other console should as well?

I'm looking forward to the Revolution, and before the DS came out, I was looking forward to that. I'm neither against the Revolution nor the DS. I don't plan on discussing any aspects of the assumed "revolution", nor whether we're better off with or without them. What I want to know is how your reason number four can be considered a valid reason for disliking the PSP when other systems, such as the Nintendo Game Cube for example, were not revolutions either?

As I said earlier, I understand the appeal of a "revolution" in gaming, but I also understand the appeal of "traditional" gaming. It is that feeling, I suppose, that possesses me to ask this question of you.

"5. It's design is nothing an average guy of the street could not have come up with."

While I rather disagree with you, and quite like the PSP's design, it's certainly a valid reason if you do dislike it.

That's all I have to say about your list, PaperLuigi. I think it's great that you took the time to list out your opinions, and hope that you don't take any offense to my questioning.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:45:29 PM by Black Mage »

Game Over

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 09:44:34 PM »
I doubt PS3 is going to be a rediculous price like that peice of garbage XBOX 360, I never even bought the first one. Anyway, get DS. So far other than Battlefront 2, SDvsRaw2k6, and some sport games all of the games for PSP suck. Anyway, dude PS3 PWNS! Go buy it when it comes out...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 11:21:54 PM »
I wouldn't dislike the PSP except that from all accounts I've read, it's flimsy. That and it has a lot of games I'm not interested in. Battery life is another issue.
That was a joke.

Print