Poll

What is your sexual/romantic orientation?

Heterosexual
29 (69%)
Homosexual
6 (14.3%)
Bisexual
2 (4.8%)
Pansexual
0 (0%)
Hetero-romantic asexual
1 (2.4%)
Homo-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Bi-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Pan-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Aromantic asexual
0 (0%)
Unsure / "it's complicated" / other
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Sexual Orientation  (Read 120373 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
Should there be bathrooms specifically for trans* and/or agendered persons?
They're building a locker room for 'em at the UW right now. Oh, brave new world...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
Thought this was relevant.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
They're building a locker room for 'em at the UW right now. Oh, brave new world...

Right next to the prayer room, I take it?

Also, would a card or something be required to get in, or could I go there to check out some sweet MtF badonkadonk?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:46:45 PM by Sapphira »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »
Male to Female?  Also, nice signature. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
Thought this was relevant.

I find this completely hilarious.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
Right next to the prayer room, I take it?

Sounds like Barnes and Noble, where the LGBT Studies section is always directly across from the Spirituality/Religion section, and directly adjacent to the African American Studies section.  So I have no chance of blending in while surreptitiously perusing their selection.  If only I was one of those hip, racially-conscious white persons...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
The illusion of sex

In the Illusion of Sex, two faces are perceived as male and female. However, both faces are actually versions of the same androgynous face. One face was created by increasing the contrast of the androgynous face, while the other face was created by decreasing the contrast. The face with more contrast is perceived as female, while the face with less contrast is perceived as male. The Illusion of Sex demonstrates that contrast is an important cue for perceiving the sex of a face, with greater contrast appearing feminine, and lesser contrast appearing masculine.
Russell, R. (2009) A sex difference in facial pigmentation and its exaggeration by cosmetics. Perception, (38)1211-1219.

http://www.quora.com/Optical-Illusions/What-are-some-great-optical-illusions
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Isn't that defining sex, rather than debunking it? Even if the natural lighting environments rather than the contrast were changed, we would be seeing a very quantifiable difference. They both look male to me, anyway.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
So... What, the only thing standing between me and accidental gayness is the lighting in the room?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
The Illusion of Sex demonstrates that contrast is an important cue for perceiving the sex of a face, with greater contrast appearing feminine, and lesser contrast appearing masculine.

I think the point is merely to identify the subtle visual cues that we use to categorize people into male and female categories.  The fact that the more "feminine" face has more prominent lips and eyebrows against lighter skin corresponds to the makeup that women wear to look more feminine: lipstick, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, foundation for smooth skin; by comparison then, masculinity would be visually defined by less prominent facial contrast.  This illusion doesn't define sex so much as it identifies how sex is perceived, which would be derived from one's culture or environment rather than their biological makeup.

In that video I posted earlier, this illusion would be akin to "gender role," or gender expression, which is defined externally.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
Ah, so you're saying this contrast we use has sociological influences, then. That makes more sense than calling this contrast an illusion. I would not be surprised, however, if it had biological roots, further exaggerated by social influences. I understand that whether we perceive a face to be male or female can be an illusion, but I see no evidence that can indicate men and women's faces are not visually different. In other words, I see no reason to believe gender role is the only thing at work, here.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »
Both faces look androgynous to me. I guess the one on the left looks slightly more feminine, but not all that much. Not enough to make an accurate guess, I think.

the makeup that women wear to look more feminine: lipstick, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, foundation for smooth skin
You sure seem to know a lot about makeup. ;)

Personally, when going solely by appearance and not other cues, the way I deduce the gender of people who are rather androgynous-looking (namely children) is mostly by tertiary sex characteristics, such as hairstyles and clothing. Actually, I'd think you'd kind of HAVE to, since they either don't have obvious secondary sex characteristics or they haven't developed yet. Those who don't fit the "gender norm" appearance are more likely to be mistaken for the wrong gender, I think. Or have others unsure of or question their gender, at least.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
I deduce the gender of people who are rather androgynous-looking (namely children) is mostly by tertiary sex characteristics, such as hairstyles and clothing.
What do you deduce from these Google images?   https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+kaulitz&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnsol&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nhqLUMSvBejV0gGs0YHgAQ&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=631

Also note the "without makeup," "new hair," etc. 

I'm assuming you would view him as female.  I actually think that many of his images look like my sister and that is not a put down on my sister in anyway. 

---

On a related note, I have on many occasion covered up the hair of people in photos like in yearbooks, facebook, etc. to see if I know them. 

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
You sure seem to know a lot about makeup. ;)

I watch What Not To Wear a lot, I guess.

As long as we're showing examples of people whose gender expression is atypical or androgynous, I figured I'd post some videos of some transgendered people.  The site they're from posts interviews with all different kinds of LGBT people represented.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-mu5ljK_Gk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-mu5ljK_Gk</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wdQzAvNJk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wdQzAvNJk</a>

Print