Print

Author Topic: Putting the S back in FPS  (Read 7208 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 08:36:12 PM »
Of course it is. But it's hard to find other Nintendo fans that also like Half-Life... i have Half-Life 2 with Steam installed on my PC, even though my PC is a little old and not very good. The only bad thing with Half-Life 2 and other Source games is the ridiculous loading times. Even on my brother's computer(very good) it takes at least a minute-and-a-half to load a level! I guess it can be worth it, though.

Day of Defeat is another company-made mod for Half-Life 2. It is a lot like Counter-Strike, if anybody has played it. I really like it. It plays a lot like Battlefield except the maps are much, much smaller.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 08:46:15 PM »
Well to me, it depends. If you're meant to be in a war and you shoot with tactics, I would consider it an FPS. But if you use guns in a game that's first person all the time, but you're just exploring and the objective isn't to kill someone, I would consider it an FP-action-adventure game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »
Maybe people should stop trying to classify everything into such narrow genres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 09:31:59 PM »
No kidding.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
Maybe people should stop trying to classify everything into such narrow genres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, I was just saying.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 04:55:34 PM »
I think Half-Life 2 and the Metroid Prime games are FPSes, just not in the conventional sense. MP/MP2 (hey, the MP2 is a submachine gun!) is essentially a first-person action/adventure game where you happen to shoot stuff. Half-Life 2 is a more shooting-oriened FPS, but is simply more than that because it's so dang good. "FPS" implies that you'll be swarmed by half-intelligent enemies, but the Combine are really smart. Of course, it made the game really freaking hard, but it was worth it. I mean, okay, the eding could've been better, but you know what I mean.

But the way, Chup, I went blind after the 18th exclamation point.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 07:45:24 PM »
Neato.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »
I liked GoldenEye:Rogue Agent.
-------------

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »
Actually, the FPRPGs are, still, technically FPS. There ARE crossbows, you know. And besides, there have been FP games without the S, like Myst. I like the FPRPGs like Elder Scrolls. FP games can be fun without the S in em.

First person games where you shoot don't have to be shooters, even. That's what people don't get. Maybe you just have to have played lots of them to understand. Bird Person is actually on the right track with the exploding barrel thing, but I guess the Primes had that. :/

Huh, Half-Life made that possible. And, not forgetting to mention, Glorb.

FP is not just a shooter. Adventure games have been in FP a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. There is some on the Genisis. Check it out.
Also, if you think about it, FP games would be ideal for those strategy games, or simulator games. Flying sims? FP.

GAWSH! Even I have never done that much!!!!!!!!
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »
First-person (FP) is not a videogame genre, dude. It's a viewpoint. There are even books in first-person!

People, I beg you to understand. Genre names don't make sense. They just came about over time. Just because you shoot from a first-person view doesn't make a game an FPS. You don't roleplay at all in a Final Fantasy, but they're still RPGs.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 07:46:17 AM »
I like how people are paying more attention to how many exclamation marks Chup used than what he was trying to emphasize.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
Maybe genres make the games more confusing...
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »
I found this on Wikipedia:

The Metroid Prime series is often grouped into the "First-Person Shooter" genre, and this is not literally incorrect. Nintendo, however, prefers to describe these games in the more specific sub-genre "First-Person Adventure," to illustrate the uncommon focus on navigation and discovery, rather than survival of life-threatening danger, though that element is regularly present as well. Metroid Prime: Hunters made this distinction narrower, with the removal of assisted aiming, and the inclusion of popularized multiplayer modes from mainstream FPS games.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »
The director and producer of the Metroid Primes both just said FPS is not an appropriate label for it.

-----------------------------------------------

PGC: In the press materials for this game, they're listing it as a first-person shooter. That's different for the series. Is that significant, or is that only in reference to the new method of aiming, or does it signal a different direction for the game design? Is it still an adventure game?

Pacini: It's definitely an adventure game. I think it's because the Wii controller allows us to do aiming and pointing better, we can improve that part of the Metroid Prime franchise, and do some different gameplay than we could before, but that doesn't mean it will be any less of an adventure than it was before. So I think the "first-person shooter" name is not appropriate.

Tanabe: He is right.

Source: http://www.planetgamecube.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=11594

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 02:12:24 PM »
Like I said before, the MP games are essentially FPS-Adventure games. In fact, there's a similarity between the Metroid Prime and Half-Life series: They both focus on exploration rather than killing mindlesss enemy waves, although HL is more about firefights with intelligent enemies.
every

Print