Print

Author Topic: A Mario game I really want to see  (Read 7526 times)

« on: June 07, 2013, 02:32:02 AM »
I remember as a kid I thought up a power-up for Mario: The Cheap-cheap suit. When Mario put it on he'd turn into a Cheap-cheap. But not the swimming kind. He'd become the kind of Cheap-cheap that jumped up from the bottom of the screen and moved in a direction. I figured the strength of your jump would determine how high you went, and then...Well, I was a kid.

But I realized a few days ago that I still really want a game where I can play as generic enemies. Like a para-troopa would be fun to play as. I could see it's wings working like the bunny-ears in Super Mario Land 2 -- keep pressing A to slow your descent. Some monsters would be near impossible to design a level around, like a thwomp or a pirahana plant, but pretty much anything that can move could be put in. It would even be interesting to play a Goomba who can't jump. I figure levels could have all sorts of secret paths depending on which character you're playing as. Maybe you could even take a team of monsters with you so that you could switch them around to get farther in a level.

I was also thinking maybe the monsters could respond to mushrooms. Like you start out as a Koopa Troopa who walks on it's legs and can't jump; you get a mushroom and turn into a Koopa-Troopa who walks on it's hind legs and can jump, and one more mushroom puts you into Para-Troopa territory. Certain characters would have a special move that you could use by pressing a button, like Hammer Bros. throwing hammers, and such. Or Boo becoming non-solid for a limited time.

You probably wouldn't be able to unlock Boo as a character until you beat the game, since that would pretty much unbalance all of the level designs.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
I think a Boo suit could work if Mario couldn't move with it if any NPC looks in his direction.  If the levels were designed with this in mind I think it wouldn't be as unbalancing as you fear. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
I once thought of a real time strategy game where you're Bowser and you had to deploy troops in a 3D level to stop Mario, as well as cannons, etc. Maybe it wouldn't be Mario as he is just one person. Maybe a Toad army led by Mario.
Now with grandeur.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
*Cheep-Cheep

I think a Boo suit could work if Mario couldn't move with it if any NPC looks in his direction.  If the levels were designed with this in mind I think it wouldn't be as unbalancing as you fear.

There's a Boo Suit in Super Mario Galaxy.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
@Luigison: Nope, then it'd just be frustrating, slow and obnoxious.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
Actually Chocobo's idea is making me want some sort of game themed around amassing generic Mario baddies and having them do your bidding, but I dunno what kind of game I'd be. "Mariomon" perhaps? Nah...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
So basically, you want Kirby.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
Kirby can copy the powers of his enemies, and in some of the games you can make copies of your enemies for the 2nd Player to play as. But those copies usually have the same weight, play style, and feel as Kirby. So they basically just turn out to be different costume for Kirby.  I'd like to see a game where you play as the different creatures of the Mario universe, and each creature has it's own unique 'feel' that the other creatures don't. Then use it to get to other areas, and such.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »
  I'd like to see a game where you play as the different creatures of the Mario universe, and each creature has it's own unique 'feel' that the other creatures don't. Then use it to get to other areas, and such.

Please see:
-Fire Mario
-Ice Mario
-Boo Mario
-Shell Mario
-Hammer Mario
-Boomerang Mario
Now with grandeur.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
This is the important thing:
But those copies usually have the same weight, play style, and feel as Kirby.
It sounds like she'd like something like Super Mario Bros. 2 (US), where each character has a very different feel.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
I'm picturing this as being kind of like Geist or Avenging Spirit (even though I've never played either). Something like that in a Mario setting has a lot of potential.

So you're a Boo of some sort, and you can go through walls, but you can't interact with anything. In order to achieve whatever your goals are (find out who ended your game?), you need to possess other creatures, and since you can't move when anyone's looking at you, you need some stealth when you're in Boo mode. Maybe sometimes Yellow Toad and Blue Toad and other members of the Toad Brigade and/or the Power-Up Development Department run through, and you can possess them for a while.

Now I'm also being reminded of Ghost Trick, which is an excellent game that I still need to finish.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
Well, Mario Super Sluggers lets you play as generic enemies.. Come to think of it, a lot of spinoffs let you play as a generic enemy or two..

* Toad goes to make a list of generic enemies in spinoff games

Jokes aside, I think this is a neat game idea, and one that should be explored further. If only someone here were a decent programmer..

Someone get the word in to Nintendo!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
I do like games with many different playable characters, although not generic enemies... I like the idea of a co-op game where the characters aren't identical but don't necessarily work like fractions of a whole. What if, a NSMB with four players using the same characters with similar differences as SM64DS's cast? Or what if NSMB2 had been like Mega Man & Bass with Mario and Wario, Wario playing more as he does in the Land games?

I ought to get Kirby's Return To Dream Land and make my friends play it with me, huh.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
I've always wanted to see a Mario platformer where you have the choice of playing as Mario or Wario. Surprised they never attempted that before. Guess Nintendo SPD ain't havin' it now.

I also think the NSMBs should've had Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad playable with their abilities from SMB2. I feel like that's the best way to go about multiple characters in a main Mario game.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
I think they're too afraid of players finding sequence-breakers and workarounds. Same reason why Yoshi can't be brought into different stages anymore.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print