Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 369193 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
It's actually that they have one sound that's in between L and R that they use for both. Basically, you make the mouth motions for an L, but use it to make an R.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »
You say it like it's Nintendo's fault that Google Translate isn't very good.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »
I was more getting at the fact that direct English-Japanese translation always comes out with mildly humourous results, but that works too.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
Which is why Link is pronounced Rinku and Luigi is pronounced Ruiji, right? Most stereotypes have a basis in fact, however distorted they get along the way.

Anywho, I'll use the PokeWalker. Just for raisin' somethin' during the schoolday as I walk around.
No! I don't want that!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »
Generally the Japanese R sounds more like an R than an L which is why it's spelled R and not L. Also how is a linguistic convention a stereotype?
That was a joke.

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »
Also how is a linguistic convention a stereotype?

Well, it helps "complete" the old-fashioned Asian stereotype. The joke used to be reversed -- that is, that East Asians couldn't pronounce the letter R, as shown in this early-60's Jello commercial. A more recent example is Team America's deplorably adorable depiction of Kim Jong Il and his apparent inability to vocalize the Engrish retter L.

"He unable to tell if this Jello is strawbelly, laspbelly, chelly, olange, lime, apple, black laspbelly, black chelly or glape!"

...And, yeah.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2009, 11:44:02 PM »
Chinese has more of an L than an R. But people with a heavy Korean accent I've seen seem to pronounce stuff with R-type sounds more than L.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »
(I prefer Gradius sounds, myself.)

ON-TOPIC: I'm looking forward to Soul Silver. I'm not sure yet whether I'm looking forward to having two siblings who will play through Heart Gold more rapidly than I'd care to do.

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »
Why would the speed at which your siblings play the game affect you? Not that it really matters, but I don't want anyone to know that I'm essentially bumping this thread for nothing. This way, the mods will never figure it ou...

D'OH!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
My big hope for this game is that they'll make like Pokemon: Battle Revolution and have a feature where you can battle anyone whether you know 'em or not. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »
WEEGEE used BUMP!
It's super effective!

Well, Serebii has unloaded a veritable crapload of scans, courtesy of CoroCoro magazine, relating to the games. Something to ponder: Couldn't the inclusion of Apricorns potentially hamper the connectivity between HG/SS and D/P/P, since the Balls they create are mostly re-named copies of ones already existing in D/P/P?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2009, 06:17:29 PM »
Actually I don't think any of them got perfect successors. The Lure Ball would be obsolete in the face of the Net Ball and the Friend Ball probably would have done what the Luxury Ball does if the GB games were high-tech enough...

But none of them are in D/P/P so they'll have to think of something.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
My point exactly. How would, say, a Friend Ball be transferred onto D/P/P if there's no data for them?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
Patch the game maybe?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
Maybe they put that data in ahead of time, knowing their future plans.

(Here's where someone links extensive logs of people poring through all data on the D/P/P cards proving no Friend Ball data exists.)

Print