Print

Author Topic: A Dissertation On Why Hip-Hop Needs To Go  (Read 18139 times)

Ogres Have Layers

• Malaprop Monster
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »
I realize that this is a subject that may be touchey for some, but it needs to be elaborated upon. As you may have gleamed from the title of this thread, I feel that the musical genre of hip-hop (also known as rap, dubstep, etc.) needs to go. I feel that the negative themes that are integral to the genre's sound make it unlistenable-to for the average person. Almost every song is about either "weed" (marijuana, which is illegal), murdering (which is illegal, not to mention immortal), and calls woman "ho's" (slang term short for "whores"). I live near a strip club, and every night I'm forced to hear the loud baselines coming from the building, and it keeps me wild awake (like wide awake, but you can never get to sleep). I feel that the Beatles should be the goal standard for music of all genres. They never swore, and never had gratuatous sexual themes in their music. Paul McCartney, Ringo Star, John Lennon, and Paul McCartney are the greatest songwriters of probably all time. It may sound corny, but I believe that I was born in the wrong generation when it comes to music - this generation's music is over-produced, and focuses too much on base. And the lyrics are awful (case in point: "Baby baby baby, oh"? What does that even mean?). Yes, I realize, to each's own, but sometimes a line has to be drawn. We don't need murder in our music. We don't need to draw undo attention to girls' butts. We just need to get rid of hip-hop and get back to plain old good music.

You better check yourself before you Shrek yourself.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:11:41 AM »
What the.

Grandpa, who taught you how to use the computer?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:22:17 AM »
Extensive revision required.

dis·ser·ta·tion
1. A long essay on a particular subject
2. A lengthy, formal treatise, especially one written by a candidate for the doctoral degree at a university

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2Vdcv9Q_o" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2Vdcv9Q_o</a>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
murdering (which is illegal, not to mention immortal)

what
I
what

never had gratuatous sexual themes
They had a song whose lyrics consisted entirely of asking the listener if they would have sex with them in a road. (I guess they never technically specified that, but what else does "do it in the road" mean?)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:53:53 AM by TheMightyThor »
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
to each's own
undo attention

You're doing this intentionally, aren't you?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »
but what else does "do it in the road" mean?
to play street hockey
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
I like the Beastie Boys. :(

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
diamonddozencopypasta.doc
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
all of your opinions are wrong.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »
No no no, you've got it all wrong.
Sure, some modern hip hop (and probably some old ones) have some bad references, but the instrumental stuff doesn't, and should stay.
I hate weed violence and disrespect of women, but this doesn't deserve to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzgs4J0W_M

Ogres Have Layers

• Malaprop Monster
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »

I don't listen to memes unless they're Shrek memes.

What the.

Grandpa, who taught you how to use the computer?
See, I always get this same response whenever I state this opinion on the internet! Just because I like the greatest band of all time doesn't make me some sort of old person. Lizard Dude, maybe you should have a stop-and-think before you insult other peoples' ages.

diamonddozencopypasta.doc
I'm glad to see I'm the only person who has had trouble uploading files! They should fix that.

all of your opinions are wrong.
Don't troll me or try to, I'm untrollable.

No no no, you've got it all wrong.
Sure, some modern hip hop (and probably some old ones) have some bad references, but the instrumental stuff doesn't, and should stay.
I hate weed violence and disrespect of women, but this doesn't deserve to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzgs4J0W_M
I'm not even going to justify your crazy response by clicking that video!
You better check yourself before you Shrek yourself.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
I hear a lot of people accusing hip-hop for being the source for much of the racism, sexism, and misogyny in America, but having studied some classes in music history, I would say that hip-hop didn’t create the racism, sexism, and misogyny we have today; it reflects pre-existing racism, sexism, and misogyny.  Hip-hop is basically people who spring primarily from America’s urban poor darkly satirizing the evil things with which white, middle and upper class men are associated.  As a white, middle class guy, I don’t like being reduced to the stereotype of “What can I do with my crotch or my cash?”  All in all, hip-hop boils down to a matter of art imitating life and life imitating art.  If we improve our image as non-racists, non-sexists, and non-misogynists, hip-hop artists probably won’t satirize us middle classmen anymore.
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
I'm glad to see I'm the only person who has had trouble uploading files! They should fix that.
10/10, would rage again.

I'm done. See you next mission.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
[...]
[...]
Don't troll me or try to, I'm untrollable.

This guy's better than Puqtd.
Relics.

Print