Print

Author Topic: Which Mario is Best?  (Read 19333 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »
There's probably already a thread like this somewhere but I've been holding onto this/these link/pics for a long time and, hey, it's Mario-related.

So... which one's best? Or at least, talk about them, or something.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »
Kind of hard to say considering how low-quality these screengrabs are.

Overall favorite may be the Smash Bros. Melee one. Everyone looked amazing in the upgrade (they still do, especially Falco), but Mario was noticeably slimmer which was surprising.
I like the look of Dr. Mario for some reason, so he's second favorite. Uh, any modern version really, but the most recent there is Dr. Mario 64 so I'll say that.

For sprite-based Marios, I prefer those from Super Mario All-Stars. I know the clothing colors were switched, but I liked the realistic look to them.
I like the Super Mario World one whenever he's Cape Mario.
I liked the 3D models in Mario Kart 64, although they were just sprites. I thought it'd be a long time before we saw actual 3D models that looked as good as those (outside of cutscenes)... and yeah, I like to think I was right. But as seen here, the sprites look horrible at higher resolutions.

I'm ignoring the Yoshi's Island one because I hate Baby Mario period.
I have a soft spot for the Super Mario Land 2 one because of Bunny Mario, but nothing special there otherwise.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
1. Superstar Saga, hands down. Mario's never looked more hilarious.
2. SMAS.
3. SSBM.

SMW, PiT, and SML2 all deserve honorable mentions, but none compare to these three.

Hey, you left out Mario is Missing (PC)!
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »
Galaxy had him at his best. He had the correct personality (I'm glaring right back at you, Brawl Mario) and did very Mario-y things. Though, I did like how much 64 Mario "talked."

The Mario Party 5 and 6 Marios are killing Mario Party 4 Mario in a drive-by!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
The Mario Party 5 and 6 Marios are killing Mario Party 4 Mario in a drive-by!

Hah. And it is true that though SM64's rendering of Mario was poor, the SM64 Mario pretty much established him as we know him today.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
I'd have to say that, since I'd already seen most of these sprites/polygons in one form or another, the most interesting thing was a side-by-sider of all the Mario Party Marios.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
I agree with BP. SMG had Mario at his best, with the right look/personality/..Mario-ness..

But! I don't particularly have a favorite one. They were all perfect during their respective time period, and are representative of a very loving and lovable character (all excpet for Brawl Mario. Why the angry eyes? Is the game that serious??)

Are there going to be similar topics about Luigi, Toad, Princesses, etc..?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »
I don't particularly have a favorite one. They were all perfect during their respective time period, and are representative of a very loving and lovable character (all excpet for Brawl Mario. Why the angry eyes? Is the game that serious??)

Are there going to be similar topics about Luigi, Toad, Princesses, etc..?
If I remember correctly, most of the characters looked serious in the cutscenes. In one of the fights where Nintendo characters were pitted against each other... um, I forget, was Mario on one side and Yoshi the other? They didn't mind beating the stuffing out of each other, or at least didn't look like they would mind.

Maybe a similar topic about Luigi would be good. Given how "weird" he's become lately, we'd mostly have fond memories of how he was funnier to watch than Mario. I'd like to see a Yoshi version of the topic along with the 8 Mario Party renditions, partly to see whether he changed at all after Mario Party 2.

...Anyone else creeped out by the "Mario Teaches Typing" Mario? I don't remember him looking that scary. I keep thinking he has a snaggletooth.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
I just noticed that the Mario Pinball Land sprite is referred to as being from "Super Mario Ball".

...Oh, wait, that's the Japan/England name.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »
Tie between M&L:SS and SMG. I think he was best graphically during SMG, but the mannerisms and the like in Superstar Saga were fun, which really is what Mario should be about.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy has the perfect Mario, hands down. The Smash series may add tons of detail to the textures, but none of that is needed, and it actually detracts from Mario's simple charm. NSMB is probably the reason why Galaxy got so many of the character and enemy models in the game right since it took what was old and made it new again, so I have to give credit to that game too.

When it comes to sprites I must say the original Super Mario Bros is the best. Simply because of how iconic they are. Pick a frame, any frame, and you'd be looking at a classic image. SMB3 and SMW are great too, but they don't have the same impact as the side view head and frontward body position of the original.

Mario and Luigi is legendary in the spriting community. It started a huge style and is still highly regarded. The sequels however, although great, put Mario and Luigi in these strange positions with odd looking walking animations... Could be the babies faults, but even in the third game its still present. So yeah, the M&L games have great looking sprites they still aren't what I would call an ideal Mario. They fit the style of the games great though.

Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine... I just don't know, something about them isn't right to me. 64 of course was very limited since it was the first fully 3D Mario, But still, there were some strange things to him. His sections were too separate and apparent. Sunshine was just a different looking Mario altogether, so I can't really say I'd prefer him.

The spin-off games are passable, but a little bland. As technology is getting better so are the character models. But they just got it right in Mario Galaxy... Man, they got everything right in Mario Galaxy. I don't mean to overstate it, but they really just did get it all right.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 03:56:38 AM »
Kinda outside the original point here, but my favorite Mario is the rather consistent non-sprite design from about 1986–1996, earliest example I know of is:

I've always felt like SM64 killed him and replaced him with someone I can't love as much.  Who constantly speaks in one of the most obnoxious voices I've ever heard.  That said, I do like the 3D games.

As for sprites, I like SMB2, SMB3, and SMW (yet not the SMAS versions).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 04:17:25 AM »
Mmm, yes, I do miss the official artwork from before 3-D. Before I'm hit with, "BP you were too young to have experienced the change," know that I had a SNES and was accustomed to the artwork of Mario in the manuals for games on that before I got a Nintendo 64.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Sqrt2

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 05:50:52 AM »
My favourite 3 are:

1) Paper Mario: TTYD

2) SSBM

3) SM64 (even though it's a polygonal mess)

As for the worst, I'd have to say it's the Mario Vs DK one, with the one from Mario Teaches Typing coming a close second.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:53:01 AM by Sqrt2 »
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 06:10:51 AM »
When it comes to 2D I think Mario looked his best in M&L:SS.  Very dynamic looking and also well animated. As for 3D I have to diss Galaxy a bit and say I like SM64 Mario better. The animation of him running by leaning forward and flailing his arms is too cute and funny for words.

Print