Print

Author Topic: Turtle Music and Some Pathetic Sketches  (Read 29542 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
Eh, why not.  Everyone else and their mothers has a gallery these days...

My songs on Newgrounds - generally this is where my most complete songs go, as opposed to WIPs which will sometimes be posted on The Audio Portal or my Tumblr.

"Pitch Black Ice"
"Moments Frozen in Time"
"Raindrops On the Window"
"Tallon Green"
"A Pretty Cool Guy"
"Bagel Run"
"Good Gravity"
"Refraction"

My Tumblr, updated pretty frequently as of this edit (not just with music, mind you).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:29:26 AM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »
Nice. Mario looks really depressed (I kinda like that) and Bluu looks pretty cool.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »

A 15-minute doodle of one of my favorite game characters, Meta Knight.  As always, I forgot to include his sword, and I know some of the details, like his shoulder (?) pads, are off, but I was drawing him entirely from memory.  Overall, one of my better sketches, I think.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »
I never Meta Knight I didn't like.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »
The Meta Knight drawing is pretty good.

I'd just like to point out something in the first drawing you posted that's been bothering me; I don't know about Crash and the eyeball dude, but Link, Kirby and Mario aren't mute. They can talk, they just don't speak too much. I mean, Mario says "Thank you so much a-for-to playing my game!" (among other things), and Link and Kirby shout a lot. Sorry, I just had to get it off my chest.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
It mostly depends on how you define "mute."

Mario is the one that fits the concept the most loosely (I used a loose definition of "mute" for the whole comic, to be honest); he does talk, but it's sparse enough that I felt like I could get away with inserting him into the joke. 

Kirby and Link don't ever speak which fits the aforementioned loose definition of "mute." 

Crash almost never even opens his mouth, except in the opening screen for the first game, in which he screams for less than one second (he says "whuh-oh!" in the intro movie, but most people I've talked to don't even know that movie exists). 

Bluu hasn't talked yet, but I'm thinking about upgrading him to a spoken role in the sequel I'm working on, rather like Naughty Dog did with Jak.  Unlike Jak's script, I can guarantee that if I do decide to do this, his dialogue will be strictly PG.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »
Mario says gibberish and the like quite frequently, but the sole "Ouch!" exclamation in Paper Mario was the only time in any game I've ever played that he got a speech bubble.  (unless you count stuff like "I feel nervous about this next one..." and the like in the Mario Party 5 decathlon)  So I guess he could be considered "mute" in that sense...
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:32:37 PM »
the sole "Ouch!" exclamation in Paper Mario was the only time in any game I've ever played that he got a speech bubble.
Unless you count the instances of "Thank you!" during battle in SMPRG. And I thought that was Twink who said that.

It was also joked in both PMTTYD and SMRPG that Mario never converses. "Wow Mario, you sure got chatty all of the sudden. I mean, you like, never talk." "Hey Mario! What's with the silent treatment?"

Mario has full lines of dialogue in "Mario's Time Machine," however.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
"Now I know what a meatball feels like!"
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 11:10:22 AM »
"Now I know how a meatball feels!"
Fix'd.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »
Time for some sprites.

A recolor of Vegeta.  I did it for the lulz.

A custome Meta Knight sprite, in his off-white color scheme from Brawl.  General consensus on the chat room was that it looked GBCish...

Bringing me to an attempt at a less GBCish Meta Knight.  I think I did a little better with this one.

A custom Dimentio sprite.  His outfit seems a little off, now that I look back on it.  This one also looks a little GBCish, IMO.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
IMO, The coloring is painfully oversaturated on the sprites (except, ironically, Rainbow Vegeta). The lineart, especially on the second set of MKs, is pretty good, though. A recolor would do all of these sprites some good.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
What do you mean when you say "oversaturated"?

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
Colors with little or no grey, or very bright colors.

Print