Print

Author Topic: Life  (Read 4312 times)

« on: September 20, 2012, 03:38:33 AM »
Alright, so I've got back into my writing. It's only a short piece, but I don't think I could have added any more to it, even if I wanted to. I threw this piece together on the train ride to university, and I'm hoping to find some way to better my writing, so criticism and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I felt like a bandage, ripped from a raw wound and cast aside, devoid of use and meaning. My broken body lay below me. Part of me could still feel its aches and tremors. But it was too late for it now. I watched my own eyes close from the outside, felt my conscious self ebb into nothing. And yet, I was here. I was there and I was here.

Was this how it was meant to happen? It seemed so unceremonious, so unimportant. Like an afterthought. Passing in passing. My life had surely been more important than this. My ringed fingers, my scarred face. Even the limp that I wore, like a trinket of honour. I’d lived a great life. I’d left my mark upon the earth. It was as clear as the liver spots upon my hairless scalp.

A door opened. Light filtered into the room. Indistinct voices rang through the air. Screaming and shouting. I felt afraid. I didn’t want to go. I wanted to stay with the elderly gentleman at my feet. We still had so much to share…

Hands closed around my torso. Powerful and yet gentle. I didn’t want to leave, why would I want to? There was so much to leave behind. I felt myself being pulled forcibly from my safety. Painfully. Choking sobs wracked my frame. I was leaving. I stared down at the prone figure at my feet, properly, for the last time.

~~~

I felt like a bandage, removed at least from a healed wound. The weary body lay below me. Part of me could still feel her aches and tremors. But it was too late for that now. I felt my eyes open, felt my conscious self awaken. And yet, I was here. I was there and now I was here.

Was this how it was meant to happen? It seemed so unceremonious, so unimportant. Like an afterthought. Passing in passing? My life surely had to be more important than this. My ringing ears, my scared face. Even my body was limp, like the blanket upon her. I’d live a great life. I’d leave my mark upon the earth. It was as clear as the freckles upon my hairless scalp.

A door opened. Sound filtered into the room. Indistinct voices rang through the air. Screaming and shouting. I felt afraid. I didn’t want to go. I wanted to stay with the tired woman at my feet. We still had so much to share…

Hands closed around my torso. Powerful and yet gentle. I didn’t want to leave, why would I want to? There was so much to leave behind. I felt myself being pulled forcibly from my safety. Painfully. Choking sobs wracked my frame. I was leaving. I stared down at the prone figure at my feet, properly, for the first time.

“Congratulations, Mr and Mrs Smith. You’re the parents of a brand new baby boy.”
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:02:29 AM by Ultima Shadow »
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:44 AM »
Wow, that was very interesting. The ending there took me by surprise and I honestly didn't understand how it seemed to start over until I hit it. I reread to make sure I got everything.

Good details and the theme is interesting. Short piece as it may be, if you can extend it even a little, it would probably improve. What I noticed is that even with the title, I don't think I was anticipating/expecting "the twist." Personally, I think that's a great advantage to have as a writer. If you can keep them hooked with your idea long enough, they'll want to see how the resolution works out.

Either way, I'd say you did a great job.
I'm a horrible person.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
Pretty well-wrought, I'd say.  Nice!
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
I'm interested. I want to read more/all of this story.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments! I wrote this primarily based on a belief I held as a child; that when someone old dies, their soul is reused (for want of a better word) for the birth of a newborn. Of course, I don't think I knew back then that the birth rate was typically higher than the death rate, but it was a comforting thought nonetheless, especially when I saw elderly family friends in bad health. It's not something I really expressed in the story, but it was in mind when I wrote it.

I was thinking about using it for a larger story, and it's something that I wouldn't mind doing when I have some free time, but I really think I need a good idea for it, rather than just blazing away like I normally do. :P
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
That background story actually helps give the story a great deal of depth; if you were to ever expand it, I'm sure you could pull it off.

Even if you just start "wandering around" story-wise, it's a good start. That's how I started my first book; it's been over half a decade in the making so far, but I consider it my best collective work to date.
I'm a horrible person.

Print