Print

Author Topic: A Christmas Story  (Read 3484 times)

« on: December 23, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
The little Goomba children all hudled around a large red armchair, which had it's back towards a firplace that held a toasty, crackling fire.  The red glow shined on their young faces, warming their cold limbs from after being outside inside the snow (so...just their feet then).  Seated in the large, cushiony armchair was an old Goomba by the name of Professor Frankly.  He smoked a pipe, brushing the large, fluffy, white tastle from his santa hat out of his face. 
"A Merry Christmas to you, dear children," said the old Goomba.
"Murry Chismas - Christmas christmas - Happy Christmas! - Merry - Christopher Columbus," said the Goomba children.  Professor Frankly puffed on his pipe as he brought forth a large, green, dusty book and set it on his lap.  He blew across the cover, sending a cloud of dust to fall of one of the children.
"Achoo!" sneezed Goombilly.
"Oh dear, I'm sorry young boy," said Professor Frankly.
"Be careful, Frankly, if you get them sick their mothers won't be happy!" said Goombella as she entered the room carrying a tray of fresh baked cookies.
"COOKIES!" cried the Goomba children as they got up and ran towards Goombella, tackling her until she set the tray down on a long wooden coffee table.
"Oh, shush now, Goombella.  I offered to watch after these children while their mothers were out last-minute-shopping, and I know what I got myself in to!" said Professor Frankly as he set down his smoldering pipe to the night table beside him.
"If you say so," said Goombella.  "What are you going to do with them, anyways?"
"I'm going to read them this story, here." said Professor Frankly, indicating his book.
"Do you think they'll be able to pay attention?" asked Goombella, seriously. 
"Of course!" Sputtered Professor Frankly, "they had to have run off all their energy outside in that blustery snow, right?  Besides, no one can fall asleep listening to this Christmas story.  It was always my absolute FAvorite as a child!" 
"Really?" said Goombella.  "I guess I could listen too.  It's a lot better than making those cookies........... by the way, don't go in the kitchen..... it's..... well- just don't."

The small Goombas sat down at the floor in front of Frankly's chair, Goombella awkwardly doing the same.  They each held a cookie.  Goombara had an angel-shaped cookie, Goombilly a snowman, Annagoom a bell, Goomfred a reindeer, Goomrick a santa, and Goombyle had a jack-o-lantern (Goombella had run out of cookie stensils). 
Professor Frankly opened the old book, the pages slightly crackling.  "I am going to read you children...and Goombella...the story of what Christmas is really about!"
"Oooooooh," came the children's reply.  Thus Frankly began his story........

It was a cold, snowy night, the stars were covered by thick clouds in the sky, and the earth was blanketed in snow.  A koopa walked alone through the snow, shivering and hugging himself tight to keep himself warm.  His green shell trembled as he trudged through the thick, white snow.  This koopa's name was Koopole, and for his whole life he had loved Christmas more than anything else in the whole world, until that very Christmas Eve.
It all started in a warm, cozy house far away.  Koopole and his green-shelled family happily exchanged gifts every year, drinking in the rich egg nog, and laughing at merry stories told by relatives.  They exchanged many gifts, wrapped in glossy paper, and tied together in curly bows.  Koopole loved Christmas, for it was the one day in the year he could recieve all the things he really wanted, without having to pay for any of it!  He loved to get gifts on Christmas Eve, and loved it even more to get up the next morning and see his gifts under the tree!  But this year however, it was different.
"Merry Christmas Uncle Koopo!" Koopole said as he lazily handed his uncle a glosy red box that held many looping bows that went this way and that.
"Thank you, Koopole!" he said and he began to unwrap his present.  "It couldn't be worse than that tie you got me last year, haha!"  Koopo opened the box to find a bright mustard-yellow tie that had purple pokedots.  "Oh...er...its - "
"What you've always wanted?  Your welcome Uncle Koopo!  What'd you get me?" asked Koopole excitedly.
"Er...here you are my boy, Merry Christmas."  Uncle Koopo handed Koopole a neatly wrapped gift.  Koopole quickl opened it, tearing the wrapping paper to shreds.  When he finished opening it, he found nothing but a crummy old book!
"What...what is this?!" Koopole said in a disgusted tone.
"That's the diary I wrote in in the Mushroom Kingdom War of '89.  Yes, there are a lot of memories in that book.  Perhaps reading some of those entries will wisen you up a bit- ...Koopole?" asked Uncle Koopo, looking around to find that Koopole had disappeared, leaving his uncle's diary inside the box it was wrapped in at Koopo's feet.  Uncle Koopo sighed as he left to give Auntie Kooplie her gift.  Koopole had thought of his uncles' gift as a joke.  No one would want such a dusty old thing!  Koopole went from relative after relative, unwrapping there gifts, only to find himself very disappointed.  Socks from Auntie Kooplie, a sweater from Koopa-Jane, an "expensive" pen from Koopordan, and some gloves from Koopsie. 
He hated his presents, all the lot of them, quite frankly.  So while the rest of his family continued laughing and exchanging gifts, Koopole slumped in the corner of the room, looking annoyed. 
"Now to put the star atop the tree!" said Grandma Kooples from the bunch.  Everyone applauded loudly as they looked towards the tree, with a bear spot at the top.  "Who brought the star this year?" she asked with a smirk.
"It was old Uncle Koopack, it was his turn this year!" said Koopsie from the crowd.  Koopack looked astonished, for he had forgot.
"My turn?!" he said, his face turning red.  "But I was sure it was Koopole's, I knew so, in fact!" 
The koopas began shaking their heads in distress.  It simply wasn't a Christmas without a star at the top of their Christmas tree. 
"Someone will have to just go out and bye a star from the dollar store," said Koopanne.
"No!" said the Koopas in unison.
"Every year we get a star from the Star Hut, we can't change our ways!"
"Yeah, are you crazy, that's always been a tradition!"
"But the Star Hut's located at the peak of Mt. Kooplore, and in this blizzard it would be suicide to go," said Koopanne, stating her point. 
"There's no one tough enough to go there this night," said Uncle Koopo.  "I would go myself, but I'm far too old... but what about Koopole?  He's young, and in shape.  Have him reach the peak!  He could learn a good lesson!"
"ARe you absolutely crazy?" cried the mother of Kooplore, "My baby can't do it, it's far to dangerous!" 
But as Koopole heard this a rage grew inside.  A baby, was he?  Needed a lesson to learn?  He'd show this family of his once and for all that he could be just as tough as any one of them!  After that maybe he would have respect, and get beter presents the year next...
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:40:33 PM »
Bravo! Another good story from you!

Nothing beats the original!

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:59:20 PM »
Thank you Aarom!

"I'll do it!" he said aloud, standing up tall.
"So you're crazy too?" said his mother, trying to get him to sit down.
"I'm going to Mt. Koopalore, and I'll show you all, I'm more than meets the eye!"
With that said he strode off, grabbed a jacket of the coat rack, a thick scarf as well, and headed on out into the blustery cold night.  The wind howled and roared and he pushed himself through the snow, glancing back at his warm little house.  He could see all his relatives pressed to the window, watching him walk out into the freezing night of Christmas Eve.
'I'll return with their star," he thought to himself, "and then they'll all see who to respect around here.'
But as he trudged through the night, his hands in his pocket, he became cold and numb, his legs shivering in the darkness.  With each step he took his limbs became more frozen, until he could take it no more and he needed shelter!  He pressed his face into his scarf, feeling the -

"-But Mr. Frankly, why is Koopole going out into the cold?" asked Goombilly.
"Well," said Professor Frankly, "Koopole is a very determined young Koopa, and he seems to believe that he is not very loved in his family.  He thinks that if he goes out into the cold night of Christmas Eve and brings home a star from the peak of Mt. Koopalore, they will show him more respect and honor...understand?"
Goombilly nodded as he bit into his cookie.  
"Keep going, Professor," said Goombella eagerly.
"Right then...*clears throat*....

...He pressed his face into his scarf, feeling the warmth of his breath onto his face, his eyes squinting against the harsh snow.  As he looked back, he could see no sign of his house anymore.  He had traveled far now, and there was no turning back.  He could see the great shadow of the enormous Mt. Koopalore just ahead.  It was tall and majestic, looking down upon the snow-covered ground as a friendly, silent giant.  
Koopole could take the immense coldness, he felt himself getting dizzy.  The snow was blinding him, and his tracks in the snow became close.  He stumbled though the snow, staring at the mounatin as if he was giving him some sort of hope.  Then, he suddenly thought he saw a faint golden glow of light, just ahead.  Koopole began to walk faster, breathing harder in every step.  Oh how he wished he had prepared for the winter weather better, instead of being an arrogant fool back at the house.  Suddenly, everything began to turn blury, and Koopole fell to his knees, the snow crunching beneath his weight.  He let himself fall to the ground, the icy cold snow greeting his pale face.  The last thing that Koopole remembered hearing was the soft sound of something hovering through the air towards him.
Koopole woke up, feeling his once cold body wrapped up in warm blankets, with his head resting against a cushiony, soft pillow.  Koopole could hear the soft crackle of a nearby fire, and the warmth of his feet underneath the incredibly warm blanket.  He slowly opened his eyes to a warm light that surrounded him.  He found himself to be in a cottage of some sort.  It was decorated to have a warm, and very cozy look to it.  The walls were made of wood, and the place had a rather homey feeling to it.  Beside Koopole he found a wonderfully crafted night table, which held a steaming mug of hot chocolate.  Koopole reached over, moving aside his puffy red blanket, and grabbed hold of the warm mug and took a sip.  
The hot chocolate was rich, and burned his tongue.  As he looked directly across the room, he saw a rounded window, un which it showed that it was still snowing heavily outside.  He had been saved by the trecherous snow!  (Goomba children cheer)  But who had saved him?  (Goomba children make confused sounds while one of them shouts out the name of Christopher Columbus).  
Koopole looked about the room, trying to find his mysterious savior.  He saw that there was a rather squat Christmas tree located in the room, along with an oven that held boiling water, a kitchen table that held a plate of steaming cookies, and a green cushiony couch facing the enormous fireplace by the window.  Suddenly, Koopole heard a voice as joyous as Christmas bells and as soft as an angel speak beside him.
"How was your rest, my dear?" said a female boo floating beside him.  She glowed of pure white and had beautiful dark eyes with a soft smile below.  Upon her head she wore two leaves of holly, as if they were bows.  With the green holly leaves were three rich read berries.
"Who...who are you?" asked Koopole as he gazed into her kind eyes.
"I am Belle, the ghost of Christmas Day," she said.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 10:22:32 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:18:15 PM »
Koopole was shocked, and wasn't sure what to say.  He was in the presence of a spirit!  The spirit of Christmas Day, in fact.  She was a beautiful ghost, that reminded Koopole of merriment and time spent with family.  Though, all Christmas Day usually reminded him of was presents, and candy.  As he thought of his greedy wants he suddenly felt ashamed to be in such a true and elegant being's presence.  But Belle still smiled at him happily. 
She then suddenly drifted over to the oven.  She opened up the door and brought out another tray of christmas cookies. 
"Well, young Koopa friend, you sure are lucky that tonight I was out looking for more holly leaves, or I never would have found you lying in the snow!  You could have froze to death if I didn't bring you back to my cottage!" 
Koopole blushed slightly, embarrased at his great foolishness. 
"What were you doing out in the freezing cold, anyways?" shed asked as she began sprinkling the cookies.  Koopole was finally able to catch his breath.
"Er........I was making for the Star Hut...though the cold sort of overcame me," he said, feeling quite awkward as he took another sip of hot chocolate.  The steamy, thick liquid burned the back of his throat as he swallowed, it's rich taste warming his stomach. 
"The Star Hut?  On top of Mt. Koopalore?  What in the world were you thinking?" she asked with a chuckle.
"Well...we needed a star for our Christmas tree, and..."
"And you decided to be kind enough to go out into the snow and get one for your family!  Ohhh, how sweet of you."
Koopole simply couldn't tell her the awful truth.  His guilt swelled up deep inside of him as he thought of how ungrateful he had been.  In fact, thinking back to how he had been acting towards his family made him realize that it sounded as though he was thinking of a complete stranger, for certainly he couldn't have been that rude. 
"Well, don't you worry," said Belle, "after you warm up a bit, I'll bring you to the top of the mountain myself.  My brother owns the Star Hut, and I can get him to get you the very best star!  You do deserve it afterall, right?"
Koopole couldn't look into Belle's innocent eyes without feeling dread overcome him.  He suddenly told her the whole story of what had happened earlier.  How he treated his family, why he left home in the first place, and how selfish he had been acting.  Telling her made him feel much better, expecially considering how she took it.  She strangely did not seem very surprised.
"Well, Koopole, you need to remember what Christmas is actually about.  It's about being with your family, and practicing your beliefs.  Christmas is a time for you to give thanks, and to fill your heart with love.  And the only way to do that, is by giving, for-"

*knock-knock-knock*
"Christopher Columbus?"
"GAH!!!  What's with the interruption here?!" growled Professor Frankly. 
"Someone's at the door," Goombella replied as she stoood up from the floor to greet whoever was waiting outside. 
"Make it quick, Goombella, this is the most important part of the story!" said Professor Frankly as he took another puff from his pipe and the children began to talk amongst themselves. 
Goombella opened the door to find Koops, Vivian, and Bobbery standing outside in the snow!  They were all wearing scarves, and had rost cheeks from the cold.
"Goombella!" they all said.
"Oh my gosh!  Hello everyone!" said Goombella, "Professor, look who's here!" 
Professor Frankly looked up from his book.  "Why, hello there!  What a pleasure to see you all!" 
Koops, Vivian, and Bobbery all greeted Professor Frankly happily. 
"So, what are you guys doing here?" asked Goombella as they came in out of the cold.
"Oh, we just thought we'd stop by and say Merry Christmas!" cried old Bobbery as he hung up his scarf on the coat rack.
"Hee hee<3!  Yeah!  And Marilyn and Beldam send their wishes!  They were just a little too preoccupied to come," said Vivian, twirling her bouncey pink hair. 
"Yeah, we invited Flurrie and Yosh to come along, but you konw them.  Too caught up in their 'show business'," said Koops. 
Goombella allowed her guests to all settle down in the living room with Frankly and the Goomba kids while she brought out more cookies and three mugs of hot chocolate.
"Thank you, Goombella, you're too kind!" said Bobbery taking a large sip of hot chocolate and biting the head off of his snowman cookie.
"So, what's going on here?" asked Koops.
"Oh, we're reading these youngsters here a Christmas story.  Would you care to listen?" said Professor Frankly.
"Oh!  I love Christmas stories!  They sure do get you in the Christmas spirit, especially if they're written by blue toads.  I'd love to listen!" said Vivian with a wink. 
"Very good then," said Professor Frankly.  "We left off where the spirit of Christmas Day was telling Koopole about the true meaning of Christmas................

(Vivian's the new spokeswoman for my stories) XD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 11:20:39 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 10:49:03 AM »
Christmas is a time for you to give thanks, and to fill your heart with love.  And the only way to do that, is by giving, for you know, giving is better than recieving.  Not only is it a better thing to do, but it gives you that better feeling.  To see the look on a person's face as you watch them open their present from you is a better reward than getting a present yourself."  Belle took a sip from her own small mug of hot chocolate as she hovered by the kitchen table, preparing a small plate of cookies. 
Koopole had never thought of giving that way before.  To him it always just seemed like a chore that needed to be done, not a pleasure at all.  Perhaps Belle was right.  He should have really spent more time thinking of his relatives' gifts than his own.  It seemed shameful that he had bought them all the exact same thing as last Christmas.  Well, his family was being very selfish as well, putting tradition before the safety of their family.  But, all the same they deserved more respect that they got. 
Belle handed Koopole a plate of two sugar cookies, one shaped like a tall christmas tree, the other an angel.  Koopole hadn't realized how hungry he truly was, and he gobbled them down rather quickly. 
When he had finished his cookies, and his hot chocolate had been drained from it's mug, Koopole noticed Belle putting on a red and green scarf, and grabbing an old-looking lantern from the closet. 
"Are you feeling any warmer?" she asked as she shut the closet with a swing of her hand.
"Much, thank you," said Koopole truthfully.
"Good, than we can start off to the top of Mt. Koopalore!"
Koopole didn't like hearing this.  He would have much rather stayed in his cozy bed in Belle's cottage, drinking hot chocolate and eating Christmas cookies.  The thought of climbing up that frigid cold mountain disturbed him in a way, and made his stomach fill with butterflies. 
"Come on now, dear!  We need to get you that star!" said Belle, waving a hand to signal him out of bed.  Koopole reluctantly got up and put on his boots.  He grabbed his blue scarf, wrapping it rightly around his neck, along with his hat. 
"Here you are," said Belle pulling a pair of gloves out from the closet.  "These will keep your hands warm for our journey."  Koopole pulled on the soft, toasty gloves, preparing for the harsh outdoors. 
Belle suddenly swung open the front door, to find that the snow was absolutely brutal, now.  It was clearly a blizard, for outside you could see absolutely nothing but snowfall.  Koopole hopped that this meant they could stay inside a little longer, but Belle looked determined. 
Suddenly, she began waving her left hand in a circular motion, and then stopped with a little jab into the air.  Suddenly, a long wooden board appeared in front of her.  It was hovering in the air, as if some sort of magic held it up.  Upon this board were three golden bells, each one a different size than the other. 
Koopole watched in amazement as Belle picked up the second bell to the right (second smallest bell) and gave it a swift ring.  A sweet sound, like a morning bird on Christmas Day rang through the air.  Belle than quickly set that bell down, picking up the one next to it and gave it a ring.  The Spirit of Christmas Day continued this ritual of ringing the bells until it began a joyful song that rang throughout her cottage and into the blustery snow outside. 
As the song continued on, Koopole's spirits lifted as he watched the blizzard outside.  Slowly, the snow was becoming softer, and the snowflakes became large, and fell slower.  After one minute or so of the beautiful bell song, the blizzard outside had turned into a soft snowfall in the night.  Koopole could now clearly see the stars shining in the dark sky outside.  It was amazing.  With a snap from her fingers the bells disappeared just as fast as they had reappeared. 
"Alright, dear," she said adjusting her scarf a bit and getting a tighter hold on her lantern, "the snow is gentler now, let's head out!" 
So Koopole the changed Koopa, and Belle the Spirit of Christmas Day went out into the snow, their path lighted by the soft glow of the lantern.  The journey was not nearly as cold as it had been for Koopole, and the snow seemed calmer, and easier to walk through.  In front of him, Belle was guiding the way, floating through the frigid night air, giving of a radiant white glow.  Koopole had never seen a creature more pure than Belle before in his life, and she was certainly a sight to see. 
This time, Koopole found that he could enjoy the scenery around him far more than before.  The snow-covered pine trees, and the small clusters of snow falling from the sky.  It was a beautiful sight, he just hadn't been keen on noticing it before. 
Before he knew it, the were standing at the base of the mountain.
"Here it is," said Belle, "and it's on that very path that we will climb, until we reach the peak and find the Star Hut."  She pointed to a neatly made path that guided them up the mountain.  It looked rather slippery, being covered in snow, but it was better than no path at all.  Koopole began his way, crunching through the fresh white snow.  He followed the path at all costs, curving when it did, and walking straight when it did not.  As he grew higher and higher, the air became colder, and he became wearier.  There was nothing more that he would rather do than be in a safe, soft bed next to a fireplace at that moment. 
Belle would drift ahead, carrying the light as a viewpoint to where Koopole would go.  Koopole was glad to find that he wasn't slipping very much, as he had predicted he would.  Instead, the snow seemed to make a nice staircase for him whenever he would travel up any steep slopes through the mounatin pass.  Belle suddenly floated down to him.
"Now, keep in mind that my brother doesn't normally appreciate visitors at night, and he may try to scare you.  Don't fall for anything that he may pull, alright?  And, don't worry, I'll get him to find you the best star in the shop!"
After thirty minutes or so, Koopole could finally catch a glimpse of a lighted window up ahead.  The window was lit with an amazing yellow and gold light, that seemed to flicker as though it was fire.  Though it was clearly not, considering fire could never make such a radiant glow. 
"Here we are!" said Belle as she sped up to the top, her lantern disappearing above a small hill of snow.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:28:15 AM »
Koopole trudged up to the top of the mountain, his feet almost giving way!  He was finally at the top after a very long descent.  Koopole walked over the small hill of snow to find Belle and her soft lantern floating next to a small, cozy looking shop that was covered in snow.  It was painted red and green, and had a sign hanging of a poll that stuck outwards from the store that read: The Star Hut.  Koopole was relieved to see it, never thinking he would lay eyes on it.  He looked at Belle and she signaled him to go in, she would follow.  Koopole slowly crunched through the snow, over to the brown door. 
The took hold of the golden door handle, and gave it a turn, entering inside the small store.  Inside, the only light came from the soft glow of tons and tons of yellow and glod stars piled throughout the room.  Koopole gaped at all the amazing shapes and sizes of the star.  Their glow seemed happy, yet humbled and small.  The rest of the room was quite dark, though it created the perfect atmosphere.
"This is amazing!" said Koopole.
"Isn't it?" said Belle from behind.  Suddenly, Koopole heard a strange sound coming towards him from behind a pile of golden stars.  He gazed at the pile in curiosity, when something suddenly sprang out at him!  It was an ennormous Gulpit!  It gnashed it's teeth, and stomped it's feet on the soft wodden ground.  Koopole stumbled back in alarm at the gigantic thing, and was about to make for the door.
"OH, stop it Dooplore!  He's only here for a star!" said Belle over he great roar of the Gulpit.  Koopole was shocked to hear this from her.
"Sis?" said the Gulpit as he stopped stomping it's feet and looked at the boo.  Suddenly, the Gulpit turned into a poof of red smoke, and out of the smoke walked a Duplighost.  He was a little taller than his sister, and looked as though he was a walking white sheet.  His eyes were yellow, and upong his head was a pointed green hat that was decorated with many red stars.  His bow tie was green, his shoes were red, and a crooked smile resided on his face. 
"Belle, what are you doing here this late at night?" he asked, putting up a star that had toppled over while he was stomping his feet. 
"I'm here to help this poor koopa find a star for his Christmas tree, and I expect you'll give him one free of charge!" she said.  She then turned to Koopole.  "I'm sorrry about the fright, Koopole.  This is my rather rude brother, Dooplore.  He is the Ghost of Christmas Eve.  Koopole nodded as Dooplore waved, as though nothing about a giant Gulpit had just happened. 
"So, he wants a star free of charge, eh?  Well, why not, it's Christmas Eve right?  Heck, I'm named after this night!" said Dooplore as he walked around his store looking through all the stars.  "Go ahead, bud, pick out any star you want."
"Hmmm, Dooplore," said Belle.  "This young koopa has been through quite a lot tonight, don't you think you could get him a fresh star?  You know, from the sky?"
Dooplore sighed.
"I suppose I could...  Man, sis, the things I do for you."  Dooplore opened a closet in his store, taking out the same red and green scarf that Belle had and wrapped it around his neck.  Koopole got up from the ground, still trying to shake off his fear.  What a strange couple these two ghosts were.  And what a strange night he was having!  He was now able to tell every he saw the Spirits of Christmas Day and Christmas Eve! 
Koopole followed Belle and Dooplore out into the cold snow, where the soft snowflakes continued to drift from the dark night sky.  Dooplore and Belle walked over the edge of the snowy peak, gazing into the sky at the brilliant stars. 
"How about that one there?" said Belle pointing to the sky.
"What?  No, that one's far too bright.  It'll blind his whole family!" Dooplore replied.
"Oh...what about that one?" she said again, pointing in a different direction.
"Ehh...I think that one might look kind of dull....." said Dooplore as he searched the sky as his sister was doing.  "....Aha!  I've found the perfect one!"  With that Dooplore raised his hands swiftly through the air.  Suddenly, a shining french horn appeared out of nowhere!  Dooplore caught the brass instrument before it fell into the snow, resting it in his hands.  He looked through the sky again, and focused his eyes on a certain star. 
"Alright..." he said, holding the french horn up to his mouth, "one star coming up."
With that said he began to play on the french horn, each note sounding rich, and royal.  The song made Koopole's stomach churn in merriment.  Suddenly, Belle began playing along with Dooplore on her golden bells.  Together they made an absolutely beautiful song, each note being better than the last, both of them in perfect time.  Koopole looked into the sky to see a certain star getting slowly  brighter than the rest, gradually looking as if it was coming ever closer. 
Dooplore and Belle continued to play their instruments, gazing into the sky as the star slowly drifted down.  Finally, Koopole saw a magnificent star heading straight towards the peak!  It was golden, and shined more brilliantly than any star he had ever seen!  It glistened proudly in the night, and looked the perfect size to place on any Christmas tree.  As the star hovered above the snow before Koopole, Belle and Dooplore ended their merry Christmas song, and the shinging star landed in the soft snow at Koopole's feet.  Dooplore threw his french horn into the air and it disappeared before it hit the ground.  Belle snapped her fingers as the bells disappeared as well.
"There you are, good fellow," said Dooplore.  "One amazing star for the top of your tree."
Koopole thanked them dearly as he craddled the amazing, gallant star in his hands.  The star was warm, and was like a soft blanket on the cold winter night. 
"Now, go back to your family.  For Christmas is a time to share, Koopole, remember that," said Belle. 
"I will," said Koopole, "but how am I to get home?  I'm sure Christmas Eve is already almost over!"
"Do not worry," said Dooplore as he swiftly raised his left hand.  A red sled suddenly appeared in the air, and dropped into the snow.  "Ride this sled down the mountain, and you are sure to get to your family in no time." 
Koopole thanked Dooplore dearly as he mounted the sled, the star in his hands.  He waved goodbye to his two ghostly friends.
"Goodbye," he said, "I hope to see you again next year!"
"Farewell!" said Dooplore.
"Goodbye, dear one.  And Merry Christmas!" said Belle.  This that Koopole began his trip down the mountain, the sled sliding with each on the snow below. 
"Well, Belle," said Dooplore, "what do you say?  Want to spend this Christmas together like old times?"
Belle looked at her brother in thought.  "Of course," she said, "what else are the holidays for?"

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 12:01:17 PM »
The wind blew in his face as he raced down the mountain at top speed.  Koopole laughed as his sled rose up over small bumps, and created flurries of snowflakes behind him.  Through all of this, he felt quite warm holding the amazing glowing star.  He finally came to the base of the mountain, but he still kept sliding.  In fact, Koopole continued to slide on his sled until he could see the lights of his house just on the horizon.  Oh what a journey he had been through.  Not only did it toughen him up a bit, but he learned what Christmas was truly about.  It's not the value of the gift, but the gift itself.  You should be happy that someone thought of you and took their time to get you a gift, and never take your family for granted.  Koopole came to a halt in front of his house, to see his family through the window seated around the Christmas tree talking and drinking egg nog.  Koopole rose from the red sled, listening to the sweet silence of winter, and watching the slowly falling snowflakes as they gently touched the ground. 
Koopole burst into the house.
"Merry Christmas!" he cried, holding up his amazing, beautiful star.  Everyone gasped and stood up at the sight of Koopole.  His mother rushed up to his son, hugging him gratefully. 
"You got the star?!" said Uncle Koopo, hardly able to believe it.
"I sure did!" said Koopole, "and oh what an adventure I had!"
"Hey, Koopole," said Koopsie after many greetings had been shared, "where do you get those comfortable looking gloves?"  Koopole looked down at the gloves he had recieved from Belle.
"Well, I'll tell you all, but It's a loooong story....."

The End!"

Said Professor Frankly as he closed the book.  He looked at the ground to find all the Goomba children were fast asleep.  Professor Frankly sighed.
"Can't children stay awake for anything nowadays?" he asked as he took yet another puff from his pipe.
"That story was amazing!" said Vivian, wiping a tear from her eye.
"It really was!" said Goombella, surprised by herself for being so interested in a children's story.
"I must say, I even enjoyed it myself!" said Bobbery with a hardy laugh.
"It did teach everyone a very good lesson," Koops said as he took a bight out of his Christmas cookie.
"Well, I'm glad YOU all enjoyed it... but it was supposed to be a story for the children!" said Professor Frankly, feeling a tad frustrated.  "When did they fall asleep anyways?"
"Around the part where Belle handed Koopole the gloves," Goombella replied.  "Professor, will you read it again?"
"What?!" replied Professor Frankly, brushing his large fluffy white tastle from his santa hat out of his face.
"Yeah!  Afterall, we didn't get to hear the beginning of the story," said Koops.
"I must say old boy, I was rather confused about that 'Uncle' fellow, why not read it again, eh?" Bobbery said, pulling out his own pipe and lighting it.
"Oh, yes!  That would be splendid!" said Vivian, getting reading for another reading.
"Well, I must say this does seem rather strange....reading to a bunch of adults..." said Frankly.  "I don't know if I - "
"Christopher Columbus!" cried Goombella.
"It was a cold, snowy night, the stars were covered by thick clouds in the sky, and the earth was blanketed in snow..."

Professor Frankly read to all his dear old friends.  Koops, Vivian, and Bobbery all resting on the couch, Goombella on the floor.  Koops enjoyed his hot chocolate and cookies while Professor Frankly read while Vivian simply enjoyed hearing the story, Bobbery smoked happily on his pipe, and Goombella stared up at Professor Frankly, feeling like a young child again.  They all rested in the cozy house of Professor Frankly, while the snow fell down on Rougeport.  It was a Merry Christmas for all old friends indeed, and a happy new year.

May you all remember what Christmas is truly about, and then The Blue Toad said,
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 12:04:13 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »
....THE END!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:42:34 PM »
Although I came in to reading this a little late, that was a great story! You are very talented at writing original tales. To be honest, I really enjoy reading your writing.

Print