Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution renamed  (Read 24333 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »
Nintendo Wii

Quote from: Nintendo Press Room
As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it's really not about you or me.

It's about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.
http://revolution.nintendo.com
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »
I was just about to post this in GMC ....

This not the best thing I've ever seen, in fact it sounds a bit too strange for my taste, and people were already getting used to saying "Revolution" and awaiting to see the name in tons of places, so this might be a tad bit of a let-down, but it still won't change the reason why some people prefer the Revolution Wii over things like PS3 and other next-gens, I can still see lots of people buying it no matter the name.
I'm a horrible person.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 03:00:16 PM »
Yeah.  The hardcore gamer in me will always see the Wii as Revolution.
1. Super Smash Brothers Revolution has a better ring to it than SSBW.
I'll warm up to the title.  I got the same neutral feeling when they revealed the controller.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »
Add a few lines to
WII
and you get
[wtd]
And that about sums up my thoughts on it.

People may compare this to the initials reactions to the controller, but it's not the same.  For me, the controller idea was redeemed when they showed the video of ideas for games based around it (and hopefully the real games will complete the redemption).  In this case, there really isn't anything to redeem it.  If they at least changed the logo to better portray what the i's represent (controllers, people, etc) then that would help (because I doubt most people are going to figure that out on their own), but that still doesn't change the fact that it sounds dumb.

I know they warned that the name would change, but I don't really understand it... they had such a powerful force going behind their codename, there really wasn't a good reason to change it.
"Wii" doesn't seem "fresh," it seems like the old Nintendo "you will like it because we say you will."
It's also really close to "Wifi," sure to cause all sorts of typo problems...

Also, it sounds really similar to Intel's VIIV (pronouced with a long i sound) initiative, which has not only already flopped, but doesn't even have the same pronunciation despite the two i's...

"By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it's like to play the games begin to come in." - Perrin Kaplan
Seriously, if they were expecting that everyone would think it was horrible, then why did they go with it?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:10:58 PM by MEGAߥTE »

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
Ouch, I never was looking too forward to the Revolution in the first place (unlike most members of this particular forum), but wow. Revolution was such a good name, now don't get me wrong Wii sounds kind of catchy, but it sounds more like a cellphone name then a gaming system name (and even then, Wii would still sound pretty weird for a cellphone name).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:29:56 PM »
WHAT? That name really really sucks. A lot. I'm still calling it Revolution. Wii? WTD?? Please, Nintendo... come to your senses...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 05:50:37 PM »
[irreverent comment self-edited]

Ya. Doesn't work at all, that name. A nope.

I'd say just stick with the Revolution. Sheesh. Nintendo is over-innovating itself.
~I.S.~

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
Now everyone WILL think that it is a toy.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 06:20:05 PM »
Look at the bright side.  It's a MUCH more original name than Sony's PS3.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »
Look at the bright side.  It's a MUCH more original name than Sony's PS3.
True, but atleast the PS3 doesn't sound both childish and confusing.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 06:51:39 PM »
You do realize the PS part stands for PlayStation.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »
Yeah..... heh, just noticed how childish PlayStation sounds. Looks like I've hurled headfirst into stupidity for a brief moment.

Despite the horrible new name that the Revolution now bears I think we (including myself) have lost sight of the fact that it doesn't really matter what the systems name is all that really matters is what the systems games are.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 08:08:05 PM by CreamCat »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »
Original? Yes.

Incredibly easy to make childish jokes about (like the one I had initially in my post before I removed it)? Even more yes.
~I.S.~

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »
Now everyone WILL think that it is a toy.

I always though video games WERE toys
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »
"Wii" doesn't seem "fresh," it seems like the old Nintendo "you will like it because we say you will."
I rather like this mindset, and--to be frank--I didn't think Nintendo still had their old cajones.  Art is not made democratically.  If Nintendo attempted to please everyone, the end result would be mediocre and uninspired.

Like it or not--believe it or not--Wii is a good name.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Print