Print

Author Topic: Rolling Stone Photoshops Mario into Luigi -- SCANDAL!  (Read 7022 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:48:41 PM »
It appears that Rolling Stone has "Photoshopped" an image of Mario into that of Luigi.  Scandal!  As Frank Cifaldi notes in his Gamasutra blog, someone at Rolling Stone took an NOA press release screen shot of Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. for the GBA, changed the color scheme on Mario, and put it up in their "Year of Luigi" photo gallery.  Feel free to take a look at the images and compare them to the original screen shot, viewable on the TMK Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. page!

For shame, Rolling Stone.  For shame.

(You might remember Mr. Cifaldi as the writer who the mystery of the release date of Super Mario Bros.  Thanks again for your true journalistic work, Mr. Cifaldi!)

Source: Gamasutra: That's Not What Luigi Looks Like
Link: Rolling Stone
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:52:45 PM by David »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:04 AM »

Even if they thought this was a good idea, why do it in Photoshop with all the fuzzy JPG antialiasing settings left on? Why not just open it in Paint?

As I recall, though, in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Luigi actually was given this palette so you could finally tell the difference between Super Luigi and Fire Luigi. That change wasn't kept for any other versions that I know of; pretty much everything since then has just been a straight NES emulation.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:38 AM »
It wasn't that exact palette, but it was similar. He had dark green in the places where Mario would have brown. They probably made that change so the players could tell who was who in 2-Player mode while both players had a Fire Flower.

But yeah, magazines suck brah.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
The screen still reads "Mario"

This is almost as embarrassing as when magazines photoshop stuff around and leave disembodied hands on shoulders! From a certain perspective.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:49 AM »
I don't even see the point of this. They couldn't get the same effect with the actual two-player mode, or just a different Mario game?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
"I'm always willing to go the extra mile to avoid doing things."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
I'm not sure what's sadder: The fact that they did this, or the fact that anynone noticed.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print