Print

Author Topic: ACHOO Syndrome and Bright Lights  (Read 3429 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: November 30, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
Who else here is afflicted with the photic sneeze reflex? 

I recently put a new bright white florescent bulb in our kitchen and now sneeze most times when entering the kitchen especially if I'm coming from a darkened room. 

In a possibly unrelated condition I am also green/hazel eyed and very light sensitive.  My wife is dark brown eyed and prefers many bright lights that are often so bright that they make my eyes water.  I prefer dim indirect light.  Particularly I prefer a very dim light behind me when I read.  This light is too low for my wife to read by, but in her defense she has had Lasik eye surgery which supposedly diminishes the eyes ability to see in low light situations.   In particular she has difficulty driving at night, but she had this problem before the Lasik surgery as well. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
Sometimes when it's bright outside, definitely.

I haven't really had the urge due to lights indoors, but I think it might have something to do with the transition from a darker room to sunny outdoors. I'm blue-eyed and prefer a dim light most of the time, but don't mind terribly if someone wants it brighter.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
It only happens to me in bright, natural sunlight.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »
Light shuts my incoming sneezes off. I hate it
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »
I don't usually have the effect in sunlight and have recently not been sneezing when entering the kitchen which leads me to believe that my sneezing might have another cause.  Some common triggers that I'll test include dark chocolate, red wine, nuts, and peanuts (technically a legume).  Also, my sneezing (and coughing) tend to happen more at night when there is a bright light on, but that could just be a correlation.  A doctor thinks my coughing is cause by what I think he called silent acid reflux.  In other words, I have acid reflux, but instead of heart burn like symptoms I have a tickle in my throat that causes me to cough (and/or sneeze?). 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
Bright natural sunlight sometimes triggers a sneeze. It happens with my dad and sister, so it might be genetic.  I also sometimes sneeze if a nerve on my forehead gets pulled or pinched the wrong way; and that only happens if I pick off a scab from a zit in that area.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
"A study of 5388 individuals of European ancestry who participated in 23andMe research surveys identified a genetic variant associated with the photic sneeze reflex. Each copy of the C version at rs10427255 increased one's odds of ACHOO by about 1.3 times." - 23andMe and PLoS Genetics

I was a member of this study and my genotype was revealed to be CC at rs10427255.  Is anyone else here a member of 23andMe or a similar genetic study site? 

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:14:04 PM »
Never had it, as far as I can tell. Chocolate gets me, though--not in an allergic way, but I do usually sneeze once. Probably the choco powder.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print