Print

Author Topic: Can Old PC games work on newer systems  (Read 15262 times)

« on: July 15, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
Let's say that I have The Sims: Deluxe Edition, and it says in the MR that it works with 95/98/ME/XP and I want to install it on my new computer, but my new computer is a Vista
I have tryed this with Age of Empires II with XP, it seemed fine I think
Noy Duh

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
It will probably work.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:29:03 AM »
Probably, yes. If it doesn't, try running Compatibility Mode (right-click the .exe file, Properties > Compatibility > Run this program in compatibility mode for (just choose some option there)). Maybe see if any patches exist for the game.

Oh, with you on Vista, you should install the game as an Administrator. I've heard that a lot, that you need administrator rights to install programs. Of course, if I had Vista, I'd be able to verify this, but I don't so I can't.

95% chance it's going to work anyway.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
Anything working on Vista? That's news to me.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:04:02 AM »
omglol

To my recollection Vista plays a lot of pre-XP games better than XP does.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
Yes, but it's in to dislike Vista.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »
Vista is kind of like Brawl. It's not bad, it's just that we expected more after seven years.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »
Only two and a half months left!

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »
Vista is kind of like Brawl. It's not bad, it's just that we expected more after seven years.

QFT. *puts in sig*

Yeah, it will work though. Its on my computer right now. (Though I haven't played it since I updated to vista)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »
Angle bracket quotes do not work that way. I take it you've never been to our IRC channel?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »

Seriously, my only complaint about Brawl is how overrated the Subspace Emissary is (it's like every kid's video game mashup fantasy without any imagination required, but such would be any attempt to cross Kirby and Metal Gear). And that's not even the game's fault.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »
I have vista and can verify that a lot of games do not run properly like Command and Conquer: First Decade, Doom, Quake, Blue Shift and some programs like Wingroove, various NES tools, and some stand alone video game music player applications are just plain garbage on vista.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:50:44 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
Why the hell does it work better on my vista, then the past two pc's its been on,

Wait kinda like VC
Noy Duh

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
I have vista and can verify that a lot of games do not run properly like Command Doom, Conquer, Quake, Blue Shift and some programs like Wingroove, various NES tools, and some stand alone video game music player applications are just plain garbage on vista.
I never said that everything works better, nor am I even saying that Vista is better, but it does have a better track record for some really old games and I can't tell what you were saying there, because I'm guessing "Command Doom, Conquer" is actually some broken up Command & Conquer and Doom?  If so, Doom and Quake I can verify are DOS games and they shouldn't be expected to run properly and there are source ports to help with that.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 11:14:59 PM »
Or DOSBox.

Print