Enamel Navy
4 (21.1%)
Other
6 (31.6%)
None
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: New Nintendo DS!  (Read 22381 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:12:32 AM »
The Nintendo DS is getting a major redesign!

Source: http://ds.ign.com/articles/683/683684p1.html

Redesigned Nintendo DS Revealed
Nintendo announces release date, price and look for a new Nintendo DS system.
by Craig Harris
January 26, 2006 - After weeks of rumor and speculation, Nintendo today finally revealed its expected redesign of the Nintendo DS handheld system. Called the DS Lite, this new design will be released in Japan on March 2, 2006 and cost 16,800 yen (about 140 bucks US.) The redesign retains all the functionality of the standard DS, but makes things smaller, lighter and brighter.

The modified dual screen handheld has been tweaked into a smaller chassis. The new unit measures up to 133 mm wide by 73.9 mm tall by 21.5 thick. (that's compared to 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.99 mm in the original.) DS Lite weighs 218g, compared to the 275 g of the original.

DS Lite's biggest new technical feature is its updated set of backlit LCD screens. The system is brighter overall, and will give the user the ability to select from four different levels of brightness for viewing and/or battery consumption. A few other cosmetic changes were made to the new DS Lite -- there's a new hinge design, the power light was put on the left side of the hinge and is visible while the clamshell is closed, the mic is moved to top/center while the speakers are more centered, the Select and Start buttons are set on the bottom instead of top, and the power button is no longer on the front, and all of the dark button colors are changed to whites and grays. The cute DS logo is also placed on the front. Basic functionality, otherwise, looks to be identical to the original DS.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 09:17:58 AM by Mario Maniac »
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:19:18 AM »
I was just reading this on another board, but I don't know what to think of it right now, but I might actually buy this.
Wait, normal members can't post topics in Latest News .......
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 12:52:55 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
I didn't know you could post topics on Latest News.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
This makes me go frowney face. I wish I had waited until the redesign =/

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »
I don't think I'll get that. It's ugly. And, besides, the change in size isn't as drastic as GBA > GBASP. I didn't bother upgrading then, so I guess I won't now.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 04:30:34 PM »
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html

I didn't know you could post topics on Latest News.
A mod moved it.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:04:47 PM »
Meh. The cosmetic design doesn't matter to me, and I can see the screen fine in most conditions. Also, not much of the actual size and weight is taken off. Any word if the DS Lite still has the same wirless capabilities as the first DS?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 05:06:49 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 05:04:56 PM »
Oh. That's what it's doing here.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »
Somehow, the name DS Lite makes me think I can lose weight while playing. X_x

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 06:03:52 PM »
DS Lite makes me think it'll be worse than the normal DS.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 06:23:28 PM »
Somehow, the name DS Lite makes me think I can lose weight while playing. X_x
Huh, I'd totally buy that.
I don't know about this. It does look a little ugly. White's not my color either, I might get it if it were black or blue. However, it is basically a smaller version of the DS, unlike the major cripples that the Micro has. DS lite sounds like some kind of cigarette lighter. If the buttons are any smaller than they already are, that's ridiculous. Gah, I wish they'd put Start and Select on the LEFT side, like the GBA. It's coming arouund the same time as the Revolution, too, and I'd much rather spend my money on the Revoultion than something I already have. I could sell my current DS, but I doubt I'd get much for it. I could sell my GameCube, but it's also not in the best condition. If it has some real worth to the higher price, such as MP3/MPEG playing without the use of Play-Yan, I'll consider. I don't see the need right now.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »
I totally agree with you, Bird Person.

Sure it may look nice, but I already have my trusty, ol' DS and it's working just fine.  Maybe when my screen starts to get too scratched up, I'll think about purchasing this.

Until then, I'm saving up for Twighlight Princess, Revolution, and hopefully Mother 3 (crosses fingers).

But if you don't have a DS on the other hand (but who doesn't have DS nowadays?), this'll be the one to get.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
DS Lite makes me think

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »
Now, now, I think my Revolution's gonna be equipped with SSBR, Paper Mario 3 (a big 'if') and mostly downloads from the older sysems. If the downloads are cheap (they should be free, as they're not manufactured), I might sell my DS in favor of a (don't make me say "lite,") DS mini. Or not! There's also SSBDS! Money doesn't grow on trees, and if it did only rich people would have money trees.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 12:02:04 AM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print