Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution renamed  (Read 24478 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »
Nintendo Wii

Quote from: Nintendo Press Room
As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it's really not about you or me.

It's about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.
http://revolution.nintendo.com
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »
I was just about to post this in GMC ....

This not the best thing I've ever seen, in fact it sounds a bit too strange for my taste, and people were already getting used to saying "Revolution" and awaiting to see the name in tons of places, so this might be a tad bit of a let-down, but it still won't change the reason why some people prefer the Revolution Wii over things like PS3 and other next-gens, I can still see lots of people buying it no matter the name.
I'm a horrible person.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 03:00:16 PM »
Yeah.  The hardcore gamer in me will always see the Wii as Revolution.
1. Super Smash Brothers Revolution has a better ring to it than SSBW.
I'll warm up to the title.  I got the same neutral feeling when they revealed the controller.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »
Add a few lines to
WII
and you get
[wtd]
And that about sums up my thoughts on it.

People may compare this to the initials reactions to the controller, but it's not the same.  For me, the controller idea was redeemed when they showed the video of ideas for games based around it (and hopefully the real games will complete the redemption).  In this case, there really isn't anything to redeem it.  If they at least changed the logo to better portray what the i's represent (controllers, people, etc) then that would help (because I doubt most people are going to figure that out on their own), but that still doesn't change the fact that it sounds dumb.

I know they warned that the name would change, but I don't really understand it... they had such a powerful force going behind their codename, there really wasn't a good reason to change it.
"Wii" doesn't seem "fresh," it seems like the old Nintendo "you will like it because we say you will."
It's also really close to "Wifi," sure to cause all sorts of typo problems...

Also, it sounds really similar to Intel's VIIV (pronouced with a long i sound) initiative, which has not only already flopped, but doesn't even have the same pronunciation despite the two i's...

"By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it's like to play the games begin to come in." - Perrin Kaplan
Seriously, if they were expecting that everyone would think it was horrible, then why did they go with it?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:10:58 PM by MEGAߥTE »

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
Ouch, I never was looking too forward to the Revolution in the first place (unlike most members of this particular forum), but wow. Revolution was such a good name, now don't get me wrong Wii sounds kind of catchy, but it sounds more like a cellphone name then a gaming system name (and even then, Wii would still sound pretty weird for a cellphone name).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:29:56 PM »
WHAT? That name really really sucks. A lot. I'm still calling it Revolution. Wii? WTD?? Please, Nintendo... come to your senses...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 05:50:37 PM »
[irreverent comment self-edited]

Ya. Doesn't work at all, that name. A nope.

I'd say just stick with the Revolution. Sheesh. Nintendo is over-innovating itself.
~I.S.~

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
Now everyone WILL think that it is a toy.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 06:20:05 PM »
Look at the bright side.  It's a MUCH more original name than Sony's PS3.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »
Look at the bright side.  It's a MUCH more original name than Sony's PS3.
True, but atleast the PS3 doesn't sound both childish and confusing.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 06:51:39 PM »
You do realize the PS part stands for PlayStation.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »
Yeah..... heh, just noticed how childish PlayStation sounds. Looks like I've hurled headfirst into stupidity for a brief moment.

Despite the horrible new name that the Revolution now bears I think we (including myself) have lost sight of the fact that it doesn't really matter what the systems name is all that really matters is what the systems games are.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 08:08:05 PM by CreamCat »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »
Original? Yes.

Incredibly easy to make childish jokes about (like the one I had initially in my post before I removed it)? Even more yes.
~I.S.~

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »
Now everyone WILL think that it is a toy.

I always though video games WERE toys
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »
"Wii" doesn't seem "fresh," it seems like the old Nintendo "you will like it because we say you will."
I rather like this mindset, and--to be frank--I didn't think Nintendo still had their old cajones.  Art is not made democratically.  If Nintendo attempted to please everyone, the end result would be mediocre and uninspired.

Like it or not--believe it or not--Wii is a good name.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 09:47:19 PM »
Wii, oh wii, did they rename it? Don't answer this question, I already know. Still, I like the name Revolution better. *Wiis- I mean, dies*
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »
This name is not right. Omg, how could nintendo call it the "Wii". It has a horrible ring to it. Think about it: Super Smash Bro. Wii. Super Smash Bros. Revolution must have just been a codename, too. God, I'm hoping that they don't make it Super Smash Bros. Wii. I pray that that is just a codename.
This is horrible news. I will always remember it as "Revolution". Wii sounds like some kind of fruit or wierd toy.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 12:02:45 AM »
Go eat a kiWii.
Spray the Wiids in the yard.
Pop a Wiilie.
I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiiner.
Wii! this is fun.
White bread or Wiit bread?
I know your Wiikness, you can't beat me.
How Wiird.
Sob, Wiip.
I'm tired and Wiiry.
Kick yourself, WiiMan!!
The possibilities are endless.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »
I personally like the name.

I've been to other forums that have people making fun of the name, or people going "WHY NINTENDO, WHYYYYY??" and I have been pretty surprised that people hate a NAME.

"What's in a name?" and "Don't judge a book by its cover" are quotes I think of when people just HAVE to say there's something wrong with Nintendo's naming and innovative ideas.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 02:19:52 AM »
Yes, what's in a name?  Wii by any other name would surely smell as sweet.

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 06:06:27 AM »
I personally don't much care for the name, but most console names are pretty bad.
X....Box???
Play Station?
Neo Geo?
Turbo GrafX?
and of course, let's not forget, Gizmondo!

I like the philosophy behind the name, don't like the name though. Maybe for the online service, but not the console itself.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »
When I first saw the name, I thought he mispelled Wifi, and I thought "Wifi?  That's not original at all.

Even though I like this name, I prefer Revolution.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »
Wii....sounds terrible, but at least it's not Bluewave like some idiot at Wikipedia claimed it was. Revolution is still a better name. Oh well.

BTW, Super Smash Bros. 3 is rumored to be subtitled Mayhem. I doubt Revolution or Wii were ever going to be in the title at all.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »
When I first saw the name, I thought he mispelled Wifi, and I thought "Wifi?  That's not original at all.

Even though I like this name, I prefer Revolution.

That's exactly what I thought, too.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
Good old Nintendo, just when I start warming up to the console they give it an awful name.  That little peom they added to explain the name makes it even worse.
Oh well, its their console, they can make selling it as easy or as hard as they want.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »
Vid, to hardcore gamers, the name dosen't make a difference. To casual gamers, the name makes all the difference in the word. They don't know what is inside of it. They just know it by the name.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 02:31:57 PM »
Innovation is a good thing.

Way too much innovation at once scares the general public -- lowering sales. While I'm not saying the general populace is stupid enough to be discouraged from buying a game system just because they disapprove of the name, the general populace is stupid enough to be discouraged from buying a game system just because they disapprove of the name.

First it was the unique controller. Now, it's the rather unique (yet easy to make fun of, in several ways) name. Of course, if the Wii's online capabilities pan ou better than the GameCube's, I'd assume all the hollow "OMG WAT A STOOPD NAM" people will not be playing on the Wii -- so I'd assume online gaming experiences will be more fun? I don't know.

I still prefer Revolution, personally, but that's just one man's opinion on a rather unimportant facet of a game system.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:34:24 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
Here's an idea for the name of the next SSB:

Super Smash Bros. Thrii
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:36:57 PM by The Chef »

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 02:41:08 PM »
[04/28, 02:13:00] MegaByte: yeah, that's why it was probably a dumb move... the Nintendo fans are going to buy it anyway... are they really going to gain fans like this?

I agree with this. I personally think Wii is a dumb name (and I really liked Revolution as its name; seemed perfect), but no matter what the name is, I'll still buy it. However, I don't see how with the name Wii, Nintendo's going to attract non-Nintendo fans. Buying something called "Revolution" sounds more appealing than something called "Wii"; some people are shallow, and the "book cover" makes all the difference to them, not what's on the inside. Ninty's gonna be attracting less of the "shallow" population with this move, IMO.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
Yes, for most people they only seemed to care about the name now, they for some reason are basing all their thoughts on the name now saying that they won't but it because of the name, and to me that makes no real sense but it definitely doesn't mean that it will get many sales, just because most people care too much about the name but never noticed that an X-Box is not really a box, but they care about a creative name? Rubbish.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »
Well, shucks. I was really looking for an awesome system that will bring about a "revolution" in gaming. Now I have to look forward to a system called Wii. God knows that's gonna get made fun of. I can just see Sony just laughing at our faces.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 04:51:26 PM »
[04/28, 02:13:00] MegaByte: yeah, that's why it was probably a dumb move... the Nintendo fans are going to buy it anyway... are they really going to gain fans like this?

I agree with this. I personally think Wii is a dumb name (and I really liked Revolution as its name; seemed perfect), but no matter what the name is, I'll still buy it. However, I don't see how with the name Wii, Nintendo's going to attract non-Nintendo fans. Buying something called "Revolution" sounds more appealing than something called "Wii"; some people are shallow, and the "book cover" makes all the difference to them, not what's on the inside. Ninty's gonna be attracting less of the "shallow" population with this move, IMO.

I've seen variants of this argument (that the name Wii will make it difficult to attract non-Nintendo fans) numerous times, always given by Nintendo fans.

Here is a rebuttal, explaining why the name Wii was specifically chosen with the goal of attracting non-Nintendo fans, and in fact non-video-game fans.  I can't say I completely agree with the argument, but I can follow its reasoning.

Personally, I don't like the name Wii.  I thought it might grow on me, but it's actually shrunk on me.  I like it less now than I did when I first heard it.  However, if you prefix the name with the article The, it sounds pretty cool.  Anyone wanna go play The Wii?  Try it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »
What bothers me most is that Nintendo HAD IT MADE. They were cruising with what they had. The namewas the last thing they needed to work on, Revolution was perfect and done. But instead of moving on, they change the name to something crappy. WHY did they decide to change it in the first place?? They didn't have to. It was already there, everyone liked the name... are they asking for less money or what?
BTW, I'm still buying it, along with a sheet of labels.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 06:09:03 PM »
Name-wise, I dislike it, just as I did Xbox 360. The thing is, I got used to Xbox 360, and I will quickly do the same for Wii. Can't wait to play it, regardless of the silly name.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »
I think that the silliness of the name can be alleviated if they manage to think of a good comercial that doesn't use the name in a silly way.

It's not about you or me, it's about Wii,
and together, Wii can change the world.

How was that?

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
Wii will
Wii will
rock you!
clap
stomp stomp
clap

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 07:44:13 PM »
(I was just arguing with my Nintendo-leftist friends today about this)
How can Nintendo change Revolution to Wii? The best they can come up with is Wii? IMNSHO, that is a pretty bad name compared to the name Revolution, which everyone has been discussing forever. I don't think people are going to like calling their system "Wii." If Nintendo expects to reign over the competition, I'd suggest a better name than Wii.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:34 PM »
In My Not So Humble Opinion? Really now.

About the name, I thought it was pretty funny. Regardless of whether people like the new name or not, I think it will accomplish what Nintendo wants it to; differentiate the system from its competition, and be a name that you won't forget. It's another quirky name that sounds as if it's more suited for a new high-tech fad, much like the iPod, than a game system.

Merge?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:52:08 AM by Black Mage »

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »
It is an interesting name, but when you put it together: Nintendo Wii, it sounds horrible (CMIIW)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »
Bah, I still liked Revolution better. Wii is a bit of an oxymoron if you don't have anyone else to play wiith.

Go eat a kiWii.
Spray the Wiids in the yard.
Pop a Wiilie.
I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiiner.
Wii! this is fun.
White bread or Wiit bread?
I know your Wiikness, you can't beat me.
How Wiird.
Sob, Wiip.
I'm tired and Wiiry.
Kick yourself, WiiMan!!
The possibilities are endless.
Wiikipedia.
EDIT: I hope Wii will be able to use Nintendo Wii-Fi Connection.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:41:16 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »
It is an interesting name, but when you put it together: Nintendo Wii, it sounds horrible (CMIIW)

You're not supposed to put it together. It's not Nintendo Wii, it's just Wii.

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 11:29:02 PM »
Oh. That makes it a whole lot better.

I can just picture that now: LD growing his hair out to about four feet long, tie-dye shirt and headband, huge peace necklace and colored sunglasses, interrupting a conversation between two Nintendo fanboys: "Hey man, it's just Wii."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:31:16 PM by bobman37 »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »
Wii sounds like a lot of things.
Oui - French for "Yes"
Wee - Another name for urine
Well, that's all I can think of for now, aside from "We" and all the other Nintendo hippy symbolism.
I think that Nintendo made a wrong move with this one. "Wii" is such an uninspiring name. Just think, which sounds cooler coming from the guy at the counter at GameStop: "All right, we're now selling Nintendo... REVOLUTIONS!!", or "All right, we're now selling Nintendo... WEE! Or Wees. Which sounds like Wheeze. I forget." You see? What real gamer wants to ask for a "Wii"? I mean, I get all the symbolism (sounds like we and "wheee!", the two I's mean two people together, the W stands for Wario and West and Will Smith) but it's just a poor name. It's like Microsoft: They've gotten all caught up in looking cool and innovating and whatnot that they starting sounding wierd or annoying. The only difference is that Nintendo hasn't starting yapping about lucid dreams or the ultimate mind-melding experience between you and your console into the future of the horizon, etc. At least not yet.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 10:13:33 AM »
I've decided that I am calling the "W2"
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 10:48:38 AM »
Well, after a day of thinking over it, and repeating it over and over, I don't find Wii to be such a bad name anymore. Sure, pretty much everyone's initial response was that it sounds absolutely stupid (and there were the few who refuse to buy it just because of the name) but when you think about it, it's not any less uninspirid than PlayStation3. They're getting all this publicity over just a little name, and as Hollywood has shown us, no publicity is bad publicity. Besides, their is that slim chance they might change the name before it's released, or they could just change the name for the US release, but then that would be such a humongous cop-out.

I can't wait to play with my Wii.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2006, 01:57:47 PM »
Eeh, I'll warm up to it. Eventually. Justr because I know it'll replace my DVD player, N64 (which I'll keep in a box somewhere), my (broken) GameCube, and it'll be the functional NES I never had. That reduces the wires in my room to... not very many.
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »
I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the name will change. Even if it doesn't, the idea is cool and it will still be an awesome system, Revolution or Wii.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 06:32:16 PM »
Hmmmm.... You think maybe, they changed the name so people would notice that the system is going to exist, hated or not, but then change it back to make it even MORE popular? That would be marketing genius.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2006, 09:32:42 PM »
The people who know the name Wii already knew the Revolution existed.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
The people who know the name Wii already knew the Revolution existed.
Not necessarily.  The Wii name change was widely published.  It's quite possible that people could have read or heard about it that didn't know about the Revolution before.  Casual or nongamers that is. Also, casual gamers may be more likely to read gaming news prior to E3.  Maybe a few of the new Nintendo fans who bought Nintendogs/Brain Age would now notice Wii.  The Wii name has also lead to a lot of jokes and jokes spread fast.  Not to mention the parents, teachers, and others who didn't know about the Revolution may have overheard talk of Wii and got interested or asked questions.  Wii has generated a lot of Buzz.  It was at the top of Googles tech news for several days and was number three as of this post.  It caused many websites like howstuffworks.com to rewrite their Revolution articles and repost them on the first page.  Wii was also used in at least 248 YTMND's at the time of this post.  No matter what Wii think of the name, any news is good news.  I also think it was smart of Nintendo to annouce the name change now to bring Wii/Revolution back into the news and not have the name change alone be the talk of E3.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:17:31 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »
Yes, no matter what you think of the name, you have to admit that getting it out of the way before E3 was a wise, wise move.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »
*snort* I shoulda thought of that.
But why should Nintendo stop at Wii? Why not the Centrally Replayable Atomic Player, or CRAP? Or a portable NES, the PNES? The possibilities are endless.

By the way, I noticed "Wii" also sounds like "wee", as in "small". Could this be a prediction (i.e., the smallest-selling next-gen console) mayhaps? I mean, there is one game confirmed for Wii, Red Steel by UbiSoft, which has about 360-quality graphics and looks about the coolest thing ever, but is that enough?

Then again, what if this is all...a hoax? The name change could be fake, and it would really be called Revolution and actually be much smaller, and the claims of barely-upgraded graphics would be fake? WHAT IF?
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2006, 09:13:12 AM »
I don't know.  If Nintendo wants to attract casual and non-gamers, like they say they do, then the powerful code-name, which we all loved, might not be the way to go.  As much as I prefer Revolution, I think Nintendo should stick with Wii.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »
When you see the graphics, you will say WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :\

Kojinka: I don't think many casual gamers and non-gamers are gonna want to play with a Wii. I mean, the name's so weird, it'll probably scare them away...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:22:06 PM by PaperMario »

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
just seen this.

What... the.......
Wii. How to say, that is about as dumb as naming the Xbox 360 "XX" or Xbox 2. (just an idea) How they Describe the name as if they are talking about God or something. But Wii? Thats not a name. Thats someone's luggage combination. To me I will always call it the Nintendo Revolution. Not Wii. I'll bet Microsoft is laughing thier heads off.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2006, 02:04:11 PM »
Probably. I don't think Nintendo's going to look like a Godzilla to the other contenders and consumers if they call their system Wii. If Nintendo really wants a revolution, they should stick with Revolution. Like PaperMario said, the name Wii might scare people away, instead of something better like Revolution, which is sort of what I'm trying to say.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
That Movie really scares me...

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
Didn't someone prove that was fake?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2006, 05:20:47 PM »
Yeah. That one's not going to happen.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »
Like PaperMario said, the name Wii might scare people away, instead of something better like Revolution, which is sort of what I'm trying to say.

Exactly. Here's a scenario.

Casual Gamer goes to game store and sees all three consoles.

CG: * Looks at Wii * This console has some great games! Whats the name of it? * reads * Uhg none of my friends are gonna want to play a console with a name like that...maybe I should get that PS3 they've been talking about...After all, they DID invent the analog!

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 09:48:30 PM »
Doo dee doo... guess I'll step outside from my usual topic and see what else is... huh?  What?!  Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! *faints, rolls down a hill, falls off a cliff, plunges into a raging river, floats down it, and eventually goes over a giant water fall*

"Okay, guys.  So we really need to find a good name for this incredible console.  One that people will remember... one that people will love... one that we can get in the next 5 minutes before it's too late!!"
"Hey, guess what?  My little boy just said his first word today.  He said 'Wii'!"
"Nintendo Wii!  That... uh... works!  Okay, let's go eat lunch.  Wheeeeee!"

Alright, I think I've gone far enough there wiith that.  Unfortunately I feel like it's impossible for me to ever get used to this name.  Yes, the jokes are bad enough but even worse is how people are going to keep asking how to pronounce it.  "Wi-ih?  Why?  Wuh?"  I could get used to it eventually, but it may take time.  Jokes are definitely one of the best ways to get people interested in stuff.  If this is just a huge joke, I salute those guys for a hysterical idea.  But I just can't picture a box that says Wii and looks cool no matter what you do with it.  I'll get over it though.

On the other hand, it does kind of look like a cool Japanese word and that could get people's attention, which is what you want to do.  Hey wait... do you think they chose a word with 2 I's just so they could substitute them for the two controllers?  Would a company really go that far with their Cre@t[]v[]ty?

I think that the name Nintendo Boom sounds better.  Does anyone agree?  Hey now... the Nintendo Bomb!  Yeah!  Then they really could be the bomb even if they aren't actually "the bomb"! XD  Other names... Nintendo Nostalgia.  Nintendo Odnetnin.  Nintendo Rectangle.  Nintendo N-credible.  Nintendo N-finite.  Nitendo Deezer.

Random fact: I just noticed that Watoad's name has the letters WTD in the same order.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 09:56:06 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »
If kids get arrested for making cardboard ? blocks, Nintendo would surely be sued for selling a thing called "Nintendo Bomb."
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2006, 05:39:59 AM »
The name dosen't matter soo much to me as the console itself. At least it isn't the Gamecube 2 or something.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2006, 06:40:08 AM »
Wii, Revolution.  At this point, I just wanna be able to play it.

Bomb?  That's the last thing you'd wanna name a console.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2006, 09:21:23 AM »
Yoshisaurus I'm sorry if this sounds rude but those names are just terrible. They are less creative than the name Xbox 360. Except for the N-finite and N-credible.

Would "Bomb" imply that the system is terrible? Because that's what I'm getting at.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »
I think the name would even be better if it were at least be pronounced as 'Why' but 'wee' just sounds ridiculous. mostly because when you say it out loud, it sounds like you're saying 'Nintendoey!' I don't see why they left it as Revolution. when they originally introduced DS, they stated that wasn't the final name, but in the end, it was.

At this point, I will continue to refer to it as Revolution. In fact, if I go buy one, I'm gonna take a marker and cross out everything on the box, games, and console itself that says 'Wii' and write Revolution in its place.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »
I'd play the Nintendo Deezer. But then I'd want to get the Nintendoe dezzer.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2006, 05:44:51 PM »
Quote from: Nintendo
Witness the Deezer's wireless controller. We call it the WaveBread.
See it in action here!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:49:23 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
Casual Gamer goes to game store and sees all three consoles.

CG: * Looks at Wii * This console has some great games! Whats the name of it? * reads * Uhg none of my friends are gonna want to play a console with a name like that...maybe I should get that PS3 they've been talking about...After all, they DID invent the analog!

Non-gamer sees add for X-Box360 on TV.

NG: * Looks at X-Box360 * X-Box?  Oh, it's video games.  Guns and sex and violence and such for teenage boys.  This add isn't for me.  * Changes Channel, sees add for Wii *  What's that?  Wii?  Two lower case i's, sort of like my iPod, it could be interesting... Hey, look what those people are doing!  They're playing the drums with their remote!  That looks fun!  I want to try that!

At least, that's the scenario Nintendo is hoping for.

Then again, it's possible that we're all about to get Punk'd.  This theory intrigues me, since really you couldn't come up with a worse name in the eyes of a hardcore gamer if you tried, at least not one you could say with straight face.  We can hope at least.

EDIT: Whether or not Wii is the real name, the real name is definitely not Revolution, and it was never going to be.  "Revolution" is barely pronouncable to native Japanese speakers and can't be the global name for the product.  End of story.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 08:36:50 PM by Hirocon »

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »
You have no idea how happy it would make me if we were being punk'd.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2006, 09:46:58 PM »
Isn't it just RADIATING off of me how much I hope it's a joke? I mean, don't touch my posts, they'll burn you permanently. Fourth-degree burns.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2006, 12:50:57 AM »
Nintendo swears up and down at every chance that Wii is real.

Example: http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/E72DA377-DB57-42E6-99C2-151230B561A6.htm

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2006, 01:12:12 AM »

I am awfully disturbed by that. I have decided on one thing: To live with the wii, sleep with it, and eat with it.

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:47 PM »
They should've named it the Nintendo Delta. After all, 'delta' means "change".
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »
Delta is a cool name, but would other languages be able to remember or pronounce it?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2006, 05:47:56 PM »
Well, that's one of the reasons the name was never Revolution. The name is too hard to translate to other languages according to Nintendo.

Also, I could've sworn Delta was a letter in the ancient Greek language or something...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2006, 07:01:59 PM »
I beleive you are right about the greek letter thing, Mr.Wiggles.

As for the name, I think they should rename it either Super Duper NES or Nintendo Phoenix(or maybe some other mythylogical creature).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2006, 07:23:47 PM »
Super Duper NES = Super Duper NO.
The Phoenix would likely be popular in Arizona.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2006, 06:48:35 PM »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2006, 07:04:13 PM »
REMEMBER: YOu are not bidding on the actual electronics.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2006, 03:33:22 PM »
Have you ever seen anyone try to sell an X-box Box?

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2006, 07:27:27 PM »
No, but the X-BOX is like a box= fragile.

Like other people said that they wished they were on Punk'd, I'm hoping at E-3, Satoru Iwata will go on stage and say something like "April Fools!" or "Nintendo Fools!" Please, please, please.....change the name Nintendo! Look at all the negatives you're getting about the system's new name! This is my point exactly!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
Let's just wait until E3... if it's not back to normal by then, we can give up all hope...
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2006, 10:59:58 PM »
You guys need to get over it already. Bird Person.
That was a joke.

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2006, 10:47:53 AM »
Did they really change the name to Wii. Because that sounds really weird I think they should keep the name Revolution
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2006, 12:15:25 PM »
I think I am over it already. In fact, after saying the name "Wii" 24/7, it's all right. Unique, I should think.

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »
Yoshisaurus I'm sorry if this sounds rude but those names are just terrible. They are less creative than the name Xbox 360. Except for the N-finite and N-credible.

Would "Bomb" imply that the system is terrible? Because that's what I'm getting at.

Most of them were supposed to be terrible. You just got punk'd! XD Oh hey... Nintendo XD?  Yeah, that's even better than the N-Bomb!

Okay, I'm getting used to wii now.  I don't know how but I just am.  I think it would be funny if everyone someone got used to the name and then Nintendo says, "Hey it all really was just a joke! Ha ha!" And the next day the headlines read: E3 06 has biggest riot ever.

Edit: The Nintendo Ewe.  Because it's all about you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:43:14 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2006, 12:08:46 AM »
Whaddid I get for Christmas?? Eeew, a Ewe!! XP
Well, I'm ready to get one regardless of what it's called. No more searching through Gamestop and eBay for old video games that are probably broken!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2006, 10:17:07 AM »
But I don't get I could just see some one going " I'm going to buy a Wii today." or " I going to play my Wii." It just doesn't sound right
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2006, 04:27:50 PM »
It doesn't sound right. My friend was like "Well, we has to stand for something!" and I said, "It stands for people playing together, young and old". And she rolled her eyes and said, "Well, I'm not a gamer."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »
You were supposed to tell her that it was for non-gamers.

Print