Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution renamed  (Read 24337 times)

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »
Like PaperMario said, the name Wii might scare people away, instead of something better like Revolution, which is sort of what I'm trying to say.

Exactly. Here's a scenario.

Casual Gamer goes to game store and sees all three consoles.

CG: * Looks at Wii * This console has some great games! Whats the name of it? * reads * Uhg none of my friends are gonna want to play a console with a name like that...maybe I should get that PS3 they've been talking about...After all, they DID invent the analog!

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 09:48:30 PM »
Doo dee doo... guess I'll step outside from my usual topic and see what else is... huh?  What?!  Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! *faints, rolls down a hill, falls off a cliff, plunges into a raging river, floats down it, and eventually goes over a giant water fall*

"Okay, guys.  So we really need to find a good name for this incredible console.  One that people will remember... one that people will love... one that we can get in the next 5 minutes before it's too late!!"
"Hey, guess what?  My little boy just said his first word today.  He said 'Wii'!"
"Nintendo Wii!  That... uh... works!  Okay, let's go eat lunch.  Wheeeeee!"

Alright, I think I've gone far enough there wiith that.  Unfortunately I feel like it's impossible for me to ever get used to this name.  Yes, the jokes are bad enough but even worse is how people are going to keep asking how to pronounce it.  "Wi-ih?  Why?  Wuh?"  I could get used to it eventually, but it may take time.  Jokes are definitely one of the best ways to get people interested in stuff.  If this is just a huge joke, I salute those guys for a hysterical idea.  But I just can't picture a box that says Wii and looks cool no matter what you do with it.  I'll get over it though.

On the other hand, it does kind of look like a cool Japanese word and that could get people's attention, which is what you want to do.  Hey wait... do you think they chose a word with 2 I's just so they could substitute them for the two controllers?  Would a company really go that far with their Cre@t[]v[]ty?

I think that the name Nintendo Boom sounds better.  Does anyone agree?  Hey now... the Nintendo Bomb!  Yeah!  Then they really could be the bomb even if they aren't actually "the bomb"! XD  Other names... Nintendo Nostalgia.  Nintendo Odnetnin.  Nintendo Rectangle.  Nintendo N-credible.  Nintendo N-finite.  Nitendo Deezer.

Random fact: I just noticed that Watoad's name has the letters WTD in the same order.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 09:56:06 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »
If kids get arrested for making cardboard ? blocks, Nintendo would surely be sued for selling a thing called "Nintendo Bomb."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2006, 05:39:59 AM »
The name dosen't matter soo much to me as the console itself. At least it isn't the Gamecube 2 or something.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2006, 06:40:08 AM »
Wii, Revolution.  At this point, I just wanna be able to play it.

Bomb?  That's the last thing you'd wanna name a console.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2006, 09:21:23 AM »
Yoshisaurus I'm sorry if this sounds rude but those names are just terrible. They are less creative than the name Xbox 360. Except for the N-finite and N-credible.

Would "Bomb" imply that the system is terrible? Because that's what I'm getting at.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »
I think the name would even be better if it were at least be pronounced as 'Why' but 'wee' just sounds ridiculous. mostly because when you say it out loud, it sounds like you're saying 'Nintendoey!' I don't see why they left it as Revolution. when they originally introduced DS, they stated that wasn't the final name, but in the end, it was.

At this point, I will continue to refer to it as Revolution. In fact, if I go buy one, I'm gonna take a marker and cross out everything on the box, games, and console itself that says 'Wii' and write Revolution in its place.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »
I'd play the Nintendo Deezer. But then I'd want to get the Nintendoe dezzer.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2006, 05:44:51 PM »
Quote from: Nintendo
Witness the Deezer's wireless controller. We call it the WaveBread.
See it in action here!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:49:23 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
Casual Gamer goes to game store and sees all three consoles.

CG: * Looks at Wii * This console has some great games! Whats the name of it? * reads * Uhg none of my friends are gonna want to play a console with a name like that...maybe I should get that PS3 they've been talking about...After all, they DID invent the analog!

Non-gamer sees add for X-Box360 on TV.

NG: * Looks at X-Box360 * X-Box?  Oh, it's video games.  Guns and sex and violence and such for teenage boys.  This add isn't for me.  * Changes Channel, sees add for Wii *  What's that?  Wii?  Two lower case i's, sort of like my iPod, it could be interesting... Hey, look what those people are doing!  They're playing the drums with their remote!  That looks fun!  I want to try that!

At least, that's the scenario Nintendo is hoping for.

Then again, it's possible that we're all about to get Punk'd.  This theory intrigues me, since really you couldn't come up with a worse name in the eyes of a hardcore gamer if you tried, at least not one you could say with straight face.  We can hope at least.

EDIT: Whether or not Wii is the real name, the real name is definitely not Revolution, and it was never going to be.  "Revolution" is barely pronouncable to native Japanese speakers and can't be the global name for the product.  End of story.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 08:36:50 PM by Hirocon »

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »
You have no idea how happy it would make me if we were being punk'd.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2006, 09:46:58 PM »
Isn't it just RADIATING off of me how much I hope it's a joke? I mean, don't touch my posts, they'll burn you permanently. Fourth-degree burns.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2006, 12:50:57 AM »
Nintendo swears up and down at every chance that Wii is real.

Example: http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/E72DA377-DB57-42E6-99C2-151230B561A6.htm

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2006, 01:12:12 AM »

I am awfully disturbed by that. I have decided on one thing: To live with the wii, sleep with it, and eat with it.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:47 PM »
They should've named it the Nintendo Delta. After all, 'delta' means "change".
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Print