Print

Author Topic: E3 2006: Mario Hoops 3-on-3  (Read 8186 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
Mario™ Hoops 3-on-3
Format: Nintendo DS™
Launch Date: Sept. 11, 2006
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Sports
Accessories: Nintendo DS Rumble Pak™
Players: 1-4
Developer: Square Enix
KEY INFORMATION
It’s a whole new ball game as Mario™ rocks the rim on the Nintendo DS.
• Get that magic touch. There are plenty of basketball games out there, but none with the hands-on control of Mario Hoops 3-on-3. Players use the touch screen to get their game on as they execute tricky dribbles, special passes and sweet shots – all with strokes and taps of the stylus.
• Players choose their teams of three characters from the Mario universe and hit the parquet. Power-ups like Red Shells and Bob-ombs can turn the tide as they chase down coins – they will affect the score, so players collect as many as they can as they drive to the hoop.
• Whether playing against friends on a local wireless connection, jamming through a tournament or just playing mini-games, there’s a mode for everyone.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:08:43 AM »
Someone who played this game described the controls to me, and they seem rather unintuitive... I think he said dribbling is done with the stylus, as is passing.  At the same time, you control your character with the D-pad and use the L button to shoot.  Anyway, I really want this game to turn out well; it's got a lot going for it.

P.S.  They picked an interesting launch date.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 01:32:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure about this game. The video did not interest me at all. Then again, I haven't liked a basketball video game since Double Dribble.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 10:55:48 AM »
Maybe they should've gotten Camelot or Namco to make the game instead. SquareEnix should be giving us another SMRPG.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:25:16 PM »
This game was actually pretty cool once you realized how it controlled... it's actually quite intuitive.  They also said that they'll be adding button-only controls before release.  I'll put impressions up when I can.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:44:51 PM »
I think the idea of dribbling and passing with the stylus is a good use of the touch screen. Yet, I think this should be the end. No more new Mario sports titles after this. They're losing their charm. Mario Baseball was an outstanding game, however the controls were pitiful. Super Mario Strikers had great controls, however the whole game was just lacking in terms of characters and what you can do. Both games were really fun, but they just don't compare to Mario Tennis or Mario Golf.

I swear, if they make Mario Football or something along the lines of that, I'll lose faith in Mario.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »
So it looks like this game now has Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage, Moogle, and Cactuar characters!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »
So much for not buying it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
0_______________________________________________o

We need more games like this!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^________^

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »
For those who can't read Japanese, the Ninja is an All-Around with Konohagakure (something to do with hidden in the leaves, like in Naruto) special shot. White Mage is a Technique style with Holy special. Black Mage is Tricky with Meteo special. Moogle is Tricky with a Moogle Dance special. Cactuar is Tricky with Harisenbon (Thousand Needles Thanks Black Mage) special.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:32:23 PM by Lizard Dude »

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 03:43:21 AM »
If I end up getting this game, whenever I play as white mage or black mage I'll be thinking of the characters from 8-bit Theater.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 07:03:20 AM »
Let's see, Pac-man characters in Mario Kart Arcade GP, Final Fantasy characters in Mario Hoops 3-on-3, what next?

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »
Let's see, Pac-man characters in Mario Kart Arcade GP, Final Fantasy characters in Mario Hoops 3-on-3, what next?
Solid Snake in Super Smash Bros?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Well it is proof that Nintendo is getting third party support back, which was why the GCN didn't sell too well at the end.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 07:40:20 AM »
It's about as much "support" as a dog waving its tail when you hold a biscuit above its nose:  The Mario franchise is a money-maker.  When Nintendo approaches a 3rd party--a company who wants money--and says, "Here, have some money," of course they're going to show "support".

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 03:37:41 AM »
Well, the companies have to make games for some system. It's not like Nintendo is bribing them with massive amounts of money. Perhaps just a moderate sum.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 11:18:35 PM »
Square is actually the one who approached Nintendo about making it a Mario game.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 09:33:48 AM »
I think similar events happened with Camelot. Mario Golf 64 and Mario Tennis 64 were going to be standalone sports games(hence the playable human characters), but Camelot wanted to do a project with Mario in it, so they asked Nintendo if they could make these sports games Mario games.

Print