Print

Author Topic: Creeping Graphical Sameyness  (Read 40289 times)

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 06:53:12 PM »
I wondered what that gaping wound below his moustache was.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
They should make Mario wear his old blue shirt and red 'vralls again. For an entire game, except when using color-changin' power-ups. With no given explanation.

For the curious, this image (from Brawl) is the result of a very VERY minor vertex mod I made to change the shape of Mario's mouth and the angles of his eyebrows (which I went on to make multiple recolors of), an animation mod I made that makes him open his mouth much more often. For the uncurious, GO AWAYYYYYYYYYYYY
That's more awesome than 27 hot ladies.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
How about 28 hot ladies, and a dinosaur with machine guns for arms?

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »
I wish Nintendo would do that radical an art shift for a main-series platformer, complete with MK-ized photo-realistic backgrounds and the like.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
ew blugh blargh blagh bluh blorph bloog blah puke
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 09:08:22 PM »
I second that regurgitation.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
I can see mainstream Mario games looking the same for comfort (to players) and consistancy reasons, but touching Paper Mario is going way to far.

"You know, I've been thinking. When Nintendo gives Paper Mario NSMB designs, don't play the game. Make Nintendo take the designs back! I don't want your [darn] NSMB designs, what am I supposed to do with these! Demand to see Nintendo's manager! Make Nintendo rue the day it thought it could give Paper Mario NSMB designs! Do you know who I am! I'm the man who's going to burn Nintendo HQ down! With the games. I am going to have my engineers invent a combustable game cart that will burn Nintendo HQ down!"

-bobbysq,
Founder of Mario Science
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:04:27 AM by bobbysq1337 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »
I'm already thinking I don't want it, but it's more because of the apparent lack of... well, anything. There's still time to change but it's been a disturbingly long time and still no characters.

Were the Pixls supposed to be a gentle step down from awesome characters to no characters, as opposed to a plummeting drop? 'Cause I'm still feeling the vertigo
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
I guess what you have to consider concerning the Paper Mario art shift is that it wasn't really clear what the vast majority of the enemies in Paper Mario's actual designs were prior to the original's release.  Besides a very few common enemies such as Goombas, Koopas, and the like, not many of the enemies had 3D models at the time, and many of the enemies hadn't appeared in a game for at least half a decade.

Take Buzzy Beetles, for example; I can't think of any game after All-Stars (although not a new game, it did implement some of the newer enemy designs and add some of its own) that had Buzzy Beetles in it, and what previously existing design do the Paper Mario Buzzy Beetles most closely resemble?  I'd say the SMAS-SMB ones, even if the palette's more reminiscent of SMAS-SMB3/SMW.  The only major difference is that PM's Buzzy Beetles don't have sclerae, but then again, neither does Mario.  When NSMB came around, it had the first official 3D rendering of a Buzzy Beetle (at the very least, the first in-game model), so I guess that could be a valid reason why they changed it in PM3DS, even if it doesn't resemble most in-game earlier designs.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
Actually, the old Buzzy artwork doesn't look too far off from the NSMB look. As best as I can tell, the cute rounded mouthless head sticking out in PM (and the claws/toenails) was pretty much unprecedented.

As for Dry Boneses, in SMB3's artwork, they looked almost exactly like they did in SS, and then in SMW, they revised the artwork to look more like the sprite and then revised the sprite to look more like the new artwork, and both PM and the current Dry Bones look are based off it.

However, Dry Bones's current look was established at least as early as Mario Superstar Baseball, only one year after TTYD and nearly two years before SPM.

Also, while the white eyes and red shoes could be things that they just copied from the SMW artwork and now they're officially a different color, the tooth shape and the hairs didn't come from anywhere else; those were pure artistic decisions. Which have now been wiped out.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
Also:

Dry Bones in Superstar Saga

Dry Bones in Partners in Time

Tanoombas in Superstar Saga and Partners in Time

Tanoombas in 3D Land
Actually, those aren't Tanoombas, just Goombas with tails.  Another example of Nintendo blatantly going out of their way to not acknowledge the Mario RPGs.

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
Actually, the old Buzzy artwork doesn't look too far off from the NSMB look. As best as I can tell, the cute rounded mouthless head sticking out in PM (and the claws/toenails) was pretty much unprecedented.

Yeah, I did realize that the NSMB model looks a lot like the old artwork, but if you look at the sprite from SMAS-SMB, SMAS being the most recent game to have Buzzies prior to PM, there's quite a bit more of a resemblance.

The toenails were previously present in the SMW incarnation, I believe.  At least, there appears to be a couple white pixels on its feet.

Plus, the cuter design could also have been largely borrowed from SMB3's Buster Beetle or Para-Beetle art, both of which are largely reflected in their respective SMB3 sprites (as much as can be in a 16x16 space, at any rate).

At any rate, it would seem that prior to NSMB, there were about an equal amount of depictions of either design, and the "cute" one fit better in Paper Mario's artistic style.  But now that I come to think of it, how is it that the PM3DS Buzzy Beetle design got changed, while Parabeetles in NSMBW kept their old design?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:05:50 PM by jdaster64 »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
It looks like regular Buzzies looked like that too, now that I check the manual:

So the cute look is from SMB3's artwork and the scary look is from SMB1's. And for some reason, all depictions of Buzzies are now required to follow the SMB1 look.

The sprites are a bit more ambiguous, but yeah, I can see how PM could've based it off of them too. Combination of the SMAS-SMB shell shape, the SMW toenails, and the SMB3 artwork face.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
How about 28 hot ladies, and a dinosaur with machine guns for arms?
Heh.  I expected such a reply.  I also think BP saw what I did there.

I would like to see a "new" SMB with objects, enemies, etc in the NES SMB retro style like Capcom did with Mega Man 9. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
But Mario using an arm canon would look funny.

I wonder what an Nes styled game that mashes up all the Nes Mario games would be like..? Potentially awesome if done right.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print