Print

Author Topic: Creeping Graphical Sameyness  (Read 41393 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
> Creeping graphical sameyness

> Solution is to join the gaggle of indie clowns who think that the key to making any video game better is to pretend it's 1980

groannnnnnn
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »

> Solution is to join the gaggle of indie clowns who think that the key to making any video game better is to pretend it's 1980

groannnnnnn
Hey, don't talk about Minecraft that way!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
Yeah, I'd rather have a new sprite-based game... but not with the standardized generic boring SPP/YIDS/BIS/PM3D sprites either (which is what would probably happen). New ones.

What I really want to see is a Vanillaware sidescrolling action RPG set in a universe based on the comics and TV shows (and a little of the movie thrown in) with Herman Smirch as one of the main villains.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
* BP talks about Minecraft that way!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
Cross Eyed's been pretty obsessed with the Mario cartoons lately, hasn't he?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »
I haven't watched the cartoons in a while, and I've mostly only read the Game Boy comics (which I just bought physical copies of online a couple weeks ago). I just really love the whole Herman Smirch story arc.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
I also like the movie, in a way.

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »
Minecraft is so non-80's it's not even funny.

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
Minecraft is so non-80's it's not even funny.
Fine, 90's

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »

groannnnnnn

While that's not neccesarily a bad approach, I don't think that way. I think the way things are going now is just fine. A new sprite based game that didn't look like New SMB would be awesome, but the New SMB games are allright, even if they all have that graphical sameyness.

Mario Parties 6,7, and 8 looked very similar to eachother too..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
I agree with Toad. However, I would like the PM and M&L games to keep their unique style. Another Mario game that had its own style would be great too, but honestly I'd be fine if they kept the NSMB style.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
I would like to see a "new" SMB with objects, enemies, etc in the NES SMB retro style like Capcom did with Mega Man 9.

groannnnnnn

The style may not necessarily make the games better, but most of the new retro games I've enjoyed also have tight and enjoyable game-play. 

I'm not saying to limit the games to NES characters.  Why not have Hooktail, Shadow Queen, Fawful or new enemies, objects, and friends, but in NES SMB/SMB3 style? 

New SMB DS and Wii are good games, but we haven't seen an NES styled Nintendo game in a long time.  Instead Nintendo has been merging 3D models.  Using a new version of the NES/8-bit style would be a departure from the current graphical sameness even if it is a trade off to the old graphical sameness. 

Just because I want an old style game doesn't mean I don't want something new.  Sunshine isn't without fault, but it is one of my favorite games and that may be in part because of its departure from the series.  Superstar Sage is also one of my favorites and part of that is due to the humor and new moves.  I can imagine a simultaneous 2-player SMB/SMB3 styled game in which Mario jumps on Luigi to stomp him through brick blocks or Luigi grabs Mario to throw him to a higher platform. 

tldr; an 80's style game doesn't have to be stuck in the 80's
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
I'm not so much worried about "sameyness" as I am games that are just bland looking.  Super Princess Peach, Bowser's Inside Story and Yoshi's Island DS just have blah art design, and I don't think it has that much to do with sticking to "official" character designs.  The Galaxy games stick to "official" character looks, but they're visually astonishing.  I love the look of both NSMBs too, and 3D Land is shaping up beautifully.  I think Nintendo just needs to put more effort/artistry into their sprite-based 2D games.  I think you could probably lump Donkey Kong King of Swing in with SPP, YIDS and BIS for having pretty blah art design.
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
DK KoS stands out compared to previous DK games since it has the soft cartoony style rather than the usual pre-rendered 90s CGI.

I say that DKC Returns has the best art direction of any DK game to date though.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 11:42:50 PM »
I'm actually fine with the art style of Yoshi's Island DS, Bowser's Inside Story, and etc. I'd just like to see something new.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print