Enamel Navy
4 (21.1%)
Other
6 (31.6%)
None
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: New Nintendo DS!  (Read 22376 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:12:32 AM »
The Nintendo DS is getting a major redesign!

Source: http://ds.ign.com/articles/683/683684p1.html

Redesigned Nintendo DS Revealed
Nintendo announces release date, price and look for a new Nintendo DS system.
by Craig Harris
January 26, 2006 - After weeks of rumor and speculation, Nintendo today finally revealed its expected redesign of the Nintendo DS handheld system. Called the DS Lite, this new design will be released in Japan on March 2, 2006 and cost 16,800 yen (about 140 bucks US.) The redesign retains all the functionality of the standard DS, but makes things smaller, lighter and brighter.

The modified dual screen handheld has been tweaked into a smaller chassis. The new unit measures up to 133 mm wide by 73.9 mm tall by 21.5 thick. (that's compared to 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.99 mm in the original.) DS Lite weighs 218g, compared to the 275 g of the original.

DS Lite's biggest new technical feature is its updated set of backlit LCD screens. The system is brighter overall, and will give the user the ability to select from four different levels of brightness for viewing and/or battery consumption. A few other cosmetic changes were made to the new DS Lite -- there's a new hinge design, the power light was put on the left side of the hinge and is visible while the clamshell is closed, the mic is moved to top/center while the speakers are more centered, the Select and Start buttons are set on the bottom instead of top, and the power button is no longer on the front, and all of the dark button colors are changed to whites and grays. The cute DS logo is also placed on the front. Basic functionality, otherwise, looks to be identical to the original DS.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 09:17:58 AM by Mario Maniac »
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:19:18 AM »
I was just reading this on another board, but I don't know what to think of it right now, but I might actually buy this.
Wait, normal members can't post topics in Latest News .......
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 12:52:55 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
I didn't know you could post topics on Latest News.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
This makes me go frowney face. I wish I had waited until the redesign =/

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »
I don't think I'll get that. It's ugly. And, besides, the change in size isn't as drastic as GBA > GBASP. I didn't bother upgrading then, so I guess I won't now.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 04:30:34 PM »
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html

I didn't know you could post topics on Latest News.
A mod moved it.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:04:47 PM »
Meh. The cosmetic design doesn't matter to me, and I can see the screen fine in most conditions. Also, not much of the actual size and weight is taken off. Any word if the DS Lite still has the same wirless capabilities as the first DS?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 05:06:49 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 05:04:56 PM »
Oh. That's what it's doing here.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »
Somehow, the name DS Lite makes me think I can lose weight while playing. X_x

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 06:03:52 PM »
DS Lite makes me think it'll be worse than the normal DS.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 06:23:28 PM »
Somehow, the name DS Lite makes me think I can lose weight while playing. X_x
Huh, I'd totally buy that.
I don't know about this. It does look a little ugly. White's not my color either, I might get it if it were black or blue. However, it is basically a smaller version of the DS, unlike the major cripples that the Micro has. DS lite sounds like some kind of cigarette lighter. If the buttons are any smaller than they already are, that's ridiculous. Gah, I wish they'd put Start and Select on the LEFT side, like the GBA. It's coming arouund the same time as the Revolution, too, and I'd much rather spend my money on the Revoultion than something I already have. I could sell my current DS, but I doubt I'd get much for it. I could sell my GameCube, but it's also not in the best condition. If it has some real worth to the higher price, such as MP3/MPEG playing without the use of Play-Yan, I'll consider. I don't see the need right now.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »
I totally agree with you, Bird Person.

Sure it may look nice, but I already have my trusty, ol' DS and it's working just fine.  Maybe when my screen starts to get too scratched up, I'll think about purchasing this.

Until then, I'm saving up for Twighlight Princess, Revolution, and hopefully Mother 3 (crosses fingers).

But if you don't have a DS on the other hand (but who doesn't have DS nowadays?), this'll be the one to get.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
DS Lite makes me think

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »
Now, now, I think my Revolution's gonna be equipped with SSBR, Paper Mario 3 (a big 'if') and mostly downloads from the older sysems. If the downloads are cheap (they should be free, as they're not manufactured), I might sell my DS in favor of a (don't make me say "lite,") DS mini. Or not! There's also SSBDS! Money doesn't grow on trees, and if it did only rich people would have money trees.
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 12:02:04 AM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 03:00:46 AM »

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 07:21:21 AM »
Ha ha.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 04:21:38 PM »
Dang, I wish I knew metric weight better.
But the buttons & screens are the same size. That's good.
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »
I'm satisified with the DS I have.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 02:05:10 PM »
Size comparison:  http://ds.ign.com/articles/683/683686p1.html

It must be the NDS Lite!
It's has a beautiful design, but I think it's a little "cold"... BUT I'm still waiting for  a DS dedicated to Super Mario (as it happened to SP)!!!!! XD
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 07:06:07 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 07:12:13 PM »
Wow, my dream come true! Nintendo DS voice chatting! This is going to be so awsome!

And what's with the image? What is that from?

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 07:27:39 PM »
It's called "Mario Face DS".  :-\
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 07:31:20 PM »
Ooh, what a creative name![/sarcasm]

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 07:45:03 PM »
But I'm still hoping to catch it if actually gets released. (Wow, Nintendo is making some very inovative games.)
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 09:27:38 PM »
I heard that you can download several content from a machine and you'll have playable demos, and videos of upcoming games. It cool but if you turn off your DS, Good-Bye free stuff.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 09:41:42 PM »
That's why we got sleep mode.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 12:04:27 AM »
... that Wario is scary. o_0

Hmm... I like this new DS future. The only thing that would be better... better downloadable OS for the DS. *Drools*

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »
Oh, I know! Download-able N64 games! You know, just like the Revolution will do!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 03:52:42 PM »
Wow, I can't wait for the downloadable demos. I hope Nintendo actually does that, unlike that Nintendogs thing last Halloween.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »
For some reason, I can imagine playing two GBA games at once on a DS. I know it'll never happen, but... that would be so cool. :D

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2006, 02:05:38 AM »
I can't express the coolness that will be the Revolution downloads, especially since this is a DS remodel topic. But if you want to know them anyway, one point is that Nintendo doesn't actually have to pay to produce the individual downloads, so they should be really cheap. $5 a download is good enough for me, $10 if it's a really good game. Maybe even... free?
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2006, 12:46:46 PM »
I'm sure Nintendo will make a few games free. Maybe unpopular ones like Wario's Woods.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »
I want to play SMB1 some day.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2006, 05:07:24 PM »

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »
For image 6, GBA carts that don't have the white thing, will they stick out? Because I read that they would stick out.

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 05:28:22 PM »

Anyone else notice the similarities in thier designs. Seems Nintendo is unifying the designs for brand recognition. Even though the scheme looks very similar to an iPod.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2006, 05:30:22 PM »
Those soft, less-clicky buttons seem to be back like the were with the GBM.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2006, 05:31:32 PM »
I like how they decided to do white.

But the Revolution is also doing many different colors.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2006, 06:05:42 PM »
I think many companies (Nintendo included) are using that color scheme to copy off of Apple Computer's success with it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2006, 07:03:07 PM »
What are those white things?  New GBA carts? they seem smaller than normal GBA carts. Are they DS lite exclusive?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »
I think their some kind of cover for the GBA game slot, but not sure.
I'm a horrible person.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2006, 07:43:12 PM »
They are GBA slot covers.  Yes, GBA carts will stick out.

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2006, 11:42:44 PM »
Meh.  I guess it's a small price to pay.  I never really used my GBA slot much anyway.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2006, 11:54:29 PM »
The white looks cool, but I'd rather have the enamel blue.  I have silver and blue DSs, and even had a very cool looking red one for a while.  I prefer the blue one by far.  The blue made the screen appear very slightly larger and brighter.  I think it's because it didn't reflect as much light as the silver and red ones.  Which color do you prefer?  http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/lite/color/index.html
* Luigison points at poll

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2006, 11:55:30 PM »
Ice Blue!
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2006, 11:55:47 PM »
Why would you have three DS's?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 11:59:30 PM »
Why would you have three DS's?
I only have two now.  One for me and one for my wife.  She typically only plays on trips, so I was using one of them for my Animal Crossing town and bought a red one for my Xmas vacation.  It had two dead pixel so I took it back.

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2006, 12:07:06 AM »
I see. That sounds pretty cool to have two DS's at a time. Think of the possibilities! :o

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll trade in my DS for a Lite. Is there some kind of deal for trading in a DS for a DS Lite? There was when the SP came out.

I think Lite looks very interesting. When I heard that the Micro was coming out, I thought to my self: "Why do they keep making Advances? At least make a remake of the DS!".

So the features are: Buttons in different places, brighter, smaller, new stylus, and will cost $140. Is there anything more?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2006, 02:06:56 AM »
I voted Enamel Navy. White is't really the kind of thing I'd carry around. Ice blue is... well, girly. Of course, I'll probably never end up getting one of these things. At least not until after I have a Revolution, good Revolution games, a Play-Yan, and a job. Good thing I don't have to ask my parents for a car. My dad's just going to make the necessary changes to the Ghia. He has 2 years to do that.
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2006, 08:03:34 AM »
I voted Other because I'd like to have a clear one. Or at least somewhat clear.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2006, 12:46:19 PM »
You mean like that purple GameBoy Color where you can see through the plastic? That would kinda cool.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »
My gosh, with all the awesome new colors and whatnot, it's getting harder and harder for me to resist buying one for myself..

The problem with getting a new DS (for me anyway) is that your all your friend codes will be gone for all your games and you'll have a completely different friend code for yourself.

So you'll have to enter all your friends' friend codes and have all your friends re-enter your brand new friend code in order for them to play with you.

But man, the DS Lite is just so darn good-lookin'. :( :(

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2006, 04:37:14 PM »
Actually, the friend codes stick with your game. The WFC settings will change, though. So you'll still have your friend code along with the ones you already registered.

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2006, 04:51:44 PM »
Oh wow, so where did I hear that my friend codes get deleted then?

*shrug*

Ah well. Guess that gives me more reason to get the Lite.

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »
About the GBA cartridges sticking out, I won't mind it because I'm used to playing GB and GBC game on my SP.

Not to mention games like Boktai on my DS.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
I don't really see the point of all these system redesigns. They frustrate me. Like the GBA to GBA SP made me go "-_-;", considering I already had a GBA, so I didn't see the point of "upgrading" it when the only real difference was the shape of it (which I like the original GBA shape better; it feels more comfortable) and the backlit screen. The only pro to me was the backlit screen, and that wasn't worth buying an entirely new GBA for. Had I not had a GBA, I probably would've gotten the SP.

Anyway, I really don't see the point of the DS Lite. From what I've seen, it's just...slightly smaller. And the buttons are arranged slightly differently. I could be wrong, though, but I don't know. I'm also not usually one for "compact" handhelds.
I'm perfectly content with my DS. Everything about it has been great--the design, shape, color, screens, lighting, rechargability, etc. I can't think of what could be improved upon, other than the ability to play GBC and GB games.

While I like the ice blue and navy colors best for the Lite, I voted "none", since I don't intend on buying one.

Edit: What REALLY makes me go "wtd" is the Game Boy Micro. I seriously don't see the point of buying something like that, since it doesn't do anything the GBA or SP can't do, and especially since it's so incredibly small.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:42:55 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2006, 06:22:15 PM »
And if you're like me and you carry around al your DS games and GBA games with your GBA, you'll have a carrying case and size won't matter.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »
I always see system redesigns as a product targeting the market that does not yet have a system. For example, in my opinion the SP came out for the people who did not yet have a GBA, and that gave them a swift kick off of the fence.

I was very proud of myself, and then immediately disappointed. I had looked and looked and finally found a used GBA with a rechargable battery and charge cord, plus Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons for only 60 bucks. So I went and bought it. About a week later, the SP came out. I wished I had waited just a week longer for the SP, because I think it's so much cooler, and I prefer it way over the GBA just because of the backlit screen. Anyway, I was in luck, because my school started the annual magazine selling fundraiser that week, and the prize for selling 30 or more orders was a GBA SP. I was like WOOO! So after a long three weeks of selling, I ended up with 31 orders, and not only received my silver GBA SP as a prize, but ended up as being the best seller in the entire grade, and won a free xbox. My joy that day was indescribable.

So that's why I had both a GBA and a GBA SP. I suppose I just wanted to say I wouldn't have gotten an SP for money since I already had a GBA. This relates to the NDSLite because if I can't get one for free or can't trade mine in for one (since I have a huge scratch on the screen, thanks to Warioware/Meteos), I'm not going to get one.

To steal one of Watoad's signatures:

[/hogwash]

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »
Actually, the friend codes stick with your game. The WFC settings will change, though. So you'll still have your friend code along with the ones you already registered.

Not really. You can move WFC settings to another DS. The settings on the first DS will be erased, though.

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2006, 08:40:12 PM »
Wow, bobman. You never told me that before. That is soooooo lucky! I didn't even know you had an Xbox.

What games do you have? Er, just tell me in a PM so we don't get off topic.

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2006, 08:37:31 PM »
Any chance a Black DS Lite will be made? I want it to match with my Revolution.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »
Woah.. those last few pictures were violent... torturing the poor little thing...
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 11:46:15 PM by Luigison »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2006, 11:16:42 PM »
Hundreds line up for DSlite:  http://ds.ign.com/articles/692/692939p1.html

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
Look at this. I just hope it's not in the link Luigison posted.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2006, 08:38:55 PM »
OMX!  The NDS LIte makes people's faces look deformed. 

I read on several sites today that the NDS Lite is already sold out.

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2006, 08:40:53 PM »
OMX!  The NDS LIte makes people's faces look deformed. 

I read on several sites today that the NDS Lite is already sold out.

Either that, Japanese censorship, or they saw the videotape from the Ring.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2006, 11:20:47 PM »
XD
Well, I stand by my comment--I'll buy it in the rare even my DS breaks.
It's YOUR problem!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2006, 09:42:54 PM »
I bought both a GBA and a GBA SP.  The SP was FAR superior.  It was seriously like night and day.  I'd never want to go back to playing without a lit screen, or without a built-in rechargable battery, or without a shell to protect the screen.  Even the clicky buttons were an improvement; they made it easier to pull off combos in Street Fighter.  Only downside: no headphone jack.

I never bought a micro.  Aside from the headphone jack I don't see what makes micro better than SP.

I currently do NOT own a DS.  I was originally waiting for some more good games to come out.  Now I am waiting both for more good games to come out and for the lite to be released in the US.

I'm not yet decided on what color I want.  I'm leaning towards Navy.  I'd like some input in this regard: on which color do you suppose fingerprints will be least visible?  Because I've read that the DS lite has a new clear plastic coating which unfortunately exposes ugly fingerprints.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »
DOWN WITH CLICKY BUTTONS

Hirocon, if you actually like them, get a DS, not a Lite.  The Lite has soft buttons.

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2006, 03:24:49 PM »
I never minded the buttons, I'll go either way, er, I guess I'm not too picky on that subject.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2006, 06:39:15 PM »
I would take clicky buttons over soft buttons any day, they're really useful when playing a game such as Mega Man Battle Network or Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Using the D pad is a little less stressful on the thumb, too.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
I slightly prefer the clicky buttons to the soft buttons, but not enough to influence my buying decision.  I'd take a soft-buttoned DS Lite over a clicky-buttoned DS simply because of the size difference.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2006, 07:05:29 PM »
Less stressful?  That's why I don't like clicky buttons.... they're more stressful since you have to apply a certain force to make them click... it makes it harder to perform smooth moves and multiple button presses.

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2006, 09:40:59 PM »
Sure, but if you're like me and roll your thumb to hit the different arrows rather than picking it up over and over again, it's easier to use the click buttons, because it hurts less and you know when you're hitting the button. But the D-pad is actually less important than the A, B, Start and Select buttons in my opinion, because in those games I mentioned, you're pressing A and B really fast and sometimes you can press the button faster when you know exactly when it's depressed and when it isn't. If you have a copy of Mega Man Battle Network and a GBA and SP/DS, try firing your Buster on your GBA and then your SP/DS. I find the clicky buttons to be much more successful. Start and select are smaller buttons, so it's harder for me to hit them right when they're softer, but when they're clicky there's no trouble. I'm pretty picky about small things sometimes, and the big issues in the portable devices for me is ability to see the screen (another reason I'm so happy I have an SP) and ease of button use.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »
Who picks up their thumb?  I would think rolling over a clicky pad makes it worse because you have to click at each position, whereas it's a smooth roll on a normal pad.  The one sacrifice is, as you mentioned, knowing for sure that you hit the right direction.  And my argument still holds for hitting buttons fast.  With a click, there's a resistance which makes button mashing less successful... without the click, you don't really need to see if the buttons are pressed down because they just are.  These things of course only hold true on good pads, third-party ones not so much.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2006, 11:55:31 PM »
I've really never thought about pros and cons of different buttons. So I'm on the "I don't care" side. But soft buttons are nice, the soft d-pad would make MKDS a little easier. So I'm not complaining or rejoicing the change, I'm just glad the buttons haven't shrunken. The DS's buttons are too small as it is, so the not shrinking is a plus. The power switch is back, a plus IMO.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2006, 12:06:17 AM »
I'm happy with my current DS. That is, unless, they release DS Lite in black.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2006, 12:57:25 AM »
The clicky buttons are better for Street Fighter.  When you try to perform a combo by quickly hitting right, down, down-right on a soft D-Pad (especially on a small one like on the GBA), it almost inevitably registers as right, down-right, down and you perform the wrong move.  With clicky buttons it is easier to quickly press down after pressing right, without pressing down-right in between.  I don't find the clicky buttons uncomfortable at all.  On a tangent, I DO find the L/R buttons on GCN controllers extremely uncomfortable; my right index fingers gets quite sore after a few hours of Tony Hawk.  But that's a separate issue.

I honestly don't play street fighter that much, and the D-Pad on the DS Lite looks bigger than the D pad on the GBA, so the soft D-Pad should work well enough.

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
Another reason I prefer clicky to soft: Soft buttons tend to stick more. The buttons on the NES controller are sort of soft, and those are so sticky on mine that it would be pretty impossbile to play some of the games. With clicky buttons, they pop down and come back up with little or no trouble at all. It seems as though they are less likely to stick and get dirty in the long run.

That said, I can see what you're getting at with the "smooth roll" argument, Megabyte, and I agree. I also agree with the statement about button-mashing and how the click resists your push a little bit, and actually after some thought there were times in PiT where I didn't depress the button deep enough so it registered while I was pressing as fast as I could... so I suppose clicky buttons aren't completely dominant over soft buttons. But I still prefer them. I kind of like how they sound, too, but that doesn't come in handy when you're playing in your bedroom with the sound off when you're supposed to be doing something "productive." So in the long run, I wouldn't be unhappy if I had soft buttons on my DS or SP, but clicky buttons seem to be more... satisfactory.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2006, 12:14:19 AM »
You're absolutely right about the sound clicky buttons make. The DAY I got M&L:PiT, I had a huge book report due the next day and, being the procrastinator I am, I hadn't started. My parents shut me in my room until it was done, and I couldn't use Bros. Items.
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2006, 03:32:45 AM »
I had two revisions of the old-style DS (Nintendo sent me a second one to replace the first one with the dead pixel), and the quality of construction between the two varied.  On the one they sent, the L & R buttons made very audible click sounds, is that what you're experiencing?  They're not supposed to do that.  On top of that the sound level on the new one was much higher than the other, and the card slot was slightly bent.  I ended up taking both apart and fitting together the best components from the two of them to keep, and sending the other one back.  I guess that's what happens when you outsource your hardware manufacturing...
There was also this mysterious difference between the two...

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2006, 08:14:09 PM »
The DAY I got M&L:PiT, I had a huge book report due the next day and, being the procrastinator I am, I hadn't started. My parents shut me in my room until it was done, and I couldn't use Bros. Items.

That last sentence is a fantastic example of comedic writing.

Oh yeah...

My name is Lizard Dude, and I like the clicky d-pad.

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2006, 08:48:35 PM »
*clap clap clap clap clap* ^

Megabyte, if I were any good at taking things apart and putting them back together, and if it were possible, I would buy a DS Lite, take the clicky A, B, X, Y, Start and Select buttons off of my old DS, and put them on the Lite. Or maybe, take the screens and D pad off of the Lite and put them on my old DS. Assuming it were all possible. Anyway, that would be my dream DS.

L and R aren't as important, to me. I like them big, but not hard to use. I would probably take the size of the GBA L and R buttons and the... usage?... of the SP L/R and use those for my dream DS. ...Yeah.

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2006, 12:05:42 AM »
I like the current DS buttons... my only qualm with the DS is that you can't play GBC games. If I could take stuff apart and put it back together, I would replace the Slot-2 on the DS with one on a GBA. *my dream console*

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2006, 12:30:30 AM »
My dream DS has soft buttons, can play GB games, GBA games, DS games, MP3s, Videos, NES games, SNES games, 64 games, NGC games, DVDs, has internet access, a camera, a phone, a refridgerator, and I can drive it. ...I got a little carried away. I miss SMBDX and don't miss carrying my GBA around.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2006, 03:15:01 AM »
I'm imagining an N64 cartridge stuck into a DS and it's funny.

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
Man, if it was that easy, I would probably stick Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire or something in my DS. XD
Thank you for rescuing us, Geno! But there is another Star Piece in another land.

Print