Enamel Navy
4 (21.1%)
Other
6 (31.6%)
None
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: New Nintendo DS!  (Read 22365 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2006, 07:05:29 PM »
Less stressful?  That's why I don't like clicky buttons.... they're more stressful since you have to apply a certain force to make them click... it makes it harder to perform smooth moves and multiple button presses.

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2006, 09:40:59 PM »
Sure, but if you're like me and roll your thumb to hit the different arrows rather than picking it up over and over again, it's easier to use the click buttons, because it hurts less and you know when you're hitting the button. But the D-pad is actually less important than the A, B, Start and Select buttons in my opinion, because in those games I mentioned, you're pressing A and B really fast and sometimes you can press the button faster when you know exactly when it's depressed and when it isn't. If you have a copy of Mega Man Battle Network and a GBA and SP/DS, try firing your Buster on your GBA and then your SP/DS. I find the clicky buttons to be much more successful. Start and select are smaller buttons, so it's harder for me to hit them right when they're softer, but when they're clicky there's no trouble. I'm pretty picky about small things sometimes, and the big issues in the portable devices for me is ability to see the screen (another reason I'm so happy I have an SP) and ease of button use.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »
Who picks up their thumb?  I would think rolling over a clicky pad makes it worse because you have to click at each position, whereas it's a smooth roll on a normal pad.  The one sacrifice is, as you mentioned, knowing for sure that you hit the right direction.  And my argument still holds for hitting buttons fast.  With a click, there's a resistance which makes button mashing less successful... without the click, you don't really need to see if the buttons are pressed down because they just are.  These things of course only hold true on good pads, third-party ones not so much.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2006, 11:55:31 PM »
I've really never thought about pros and cons of different buttons. So I'm on the "I don't care" side. But soft buttons are nice, the soft d-pad would make MKDS a little easier. So I'm not complaining or rejoicing the change, I'm just glad the buttons haven't shrunken. The DS's buttons are too small as it is, so the not shrinking is a plus. The power switch is back, a plus IMO.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2006, 12:06:17 AM »
I'm happy with my current DS. That is, unless, they release DS Lite in black.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2006, 12:57:25 AM »
The clicky buttons are better for Street Fighter.  When you try to perform a combo by quickly hitting right, down, down-right on a soft D-Pad (especially on a small one like on the GBA), it almost inevitably registers as right, down-right, down and you perform the wrong move.  With clicky buttons it is easier to quickly press down after pressing right, without pressing down-right in between.  I don't find the clicky buttons uncomfortable at all.  On a tangent, I DO find the L/R buttons on GCN controllers extremely uncomfortable; my right index fingers gets quite sore after a few hours of Tony Hawk.  But that's a separate issue.

I honestly don't play street fighter that much, and the D-Pad on the DS Lite looks bigger than the D pad on the GBA, so the soft D-Pad should work well enough.

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
Another reason I prefer clicky to soft: Soft buttons tend to stick more. The buttons on the NES controller are sort of soft, and those are so sticky on mine that it would be pretty impossbile to play some of the games. With clicky buttons, they pop down and come back up with little or no trouble at all. It seems as though they are less likely to stick and get dirty in the long run.

That said, I can see what you're getting at with the "smooth roll" argument, Megabyte, and I agree. I also agree with the statement about button-mashing and how the click resists your push a little bit, and actually after some thought there were times in PiT where I didn't depress the button deep enough so it registered while I was pressing as fast as I could... so I suppose clicky buttons aren't completely dominant over soft buttons. But I still prefer them. I kind of like how they sound, too, but that doesn't come in handy when you're playing in your bedroom with the sound off when you're supposed to be doing something "productive." So in the long run, I wouldn't be unhappy if I had soft buttons on my DS or SP, but clicky buttons seem to be more... satisfactory.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2006, 12:14:19 AM »
You're absolutely right about the sound clicky buttons make. The DAY I got M&L:PiT, I had a huge book report due the next day and, being the procrastinator I am, I hadn't started. My parents shut me in my room until it was done, and I couldn't use Bros. Items.
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2006, 03:32:45 AM »
I had two revisions of the old-style DS (Nintendo sent me a second one to replace the first one with the dead pixel), and the quality of construction between the two varied.  On the one they sent, the L & R buttons made very audible click sounds, is that what you're experiencing?  They're not supposed to do that.  On top of that the sound level on the new one was much higher than the other, and the card slot was slightly bent.  I ended up taking both apart and fitting together the best components from the two of them to keep, and sending the other one back.  I guess that's what happens when you outsource your hardware manufacturing...
There was also this mysterious difference between the two...

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2006, 08:14:09 PM »
The DAY I got M&L:PiT, I had a huge book report due the next day and, being the procrastinator I am, I hadn't started. My parents shut me in my room until it was done, and I couldn't use Bros. Items.

That last sentence is a fantastic example of comedic writing.

Oh yeah...

My name is Lizard Dude, and I like the clicky d-pad.

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2006, 08:48:35 PM »
*clap clap clap clap clap* ^

Megabyte, if I were any good at taking things apart and putting them back together, and if it were possible, I would buy a DS Lite, take the clicky A, B, X, Y, Start and Select buttons off of my old DS, and put them on the Lite. Or maybe, take the screens and D pad off of the Lite and put them on my old DS. Assuming it were all possible. Anyway, that would be my dream DS.

L and R aren't as important, to me. I like them big, but not hard to use. I would probably take the size of the GBA L and R buttons and the... usage?... of the SP L/R and use those for my dream DS. ...Yeah.

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2006, 12:05:42 AM »
I like the current DS buttons... my only qualm with the DS is that you can't play GBC games. If I could take stuff apart and put it back together, I would replace the Slot-2 on the DS with one on a GBA. *my dream console*
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2006, 12:30:30 AM »
My dream DS has soft buttons, can play GB games, GBA games, DS games, MP3s, Videos, NES games, SNES games, 64 games, NGC games, DVDs, has internet access, a camera, a phone, a refridgerator, and I can drive it. ...I got a little carried away. I miss SMBDX and don't miss carrying my GBA around.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2006, 03:15:01 AM »
I'm imagining an N64 cartridge stuck into a DS and it's funny.

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
Man, if it was that easy, I would probably stick Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire or something in my DS. XD
Thank you for rescuing us, Geno! But there is another Star Piece in another land.

Print