Poll

Have you ever thrown a console controller or handheld system?

Yes
32 (64%)
No
18 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Print

Author Topic: Throwing the controller  (Read 15722 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 03:43:48 PM »
When I was a little tyke, I used to throw the NES controller when Bowser would defeat me... I would get so angry. I never cried though... I just got frustrated.
Good thing the original NES controllers are virtually indestructible.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »
Back in the N64 days, I broke three N64 controllers. The red one rattles when shook, but was still fairly usable. The blue one had only half an L button. The yellow one was the worst. The stick was always tilted to the left!

Nowadays, I try to keep my anger under control. I usually just curse and button mash.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 06:07:17 PM »
Good thing the original NES controllers are virtually indestructible.
Both of mine are broken.

I usually just ... button mash.
= bad. I hate button mashers, when button mashing is not necessary. I have a sticky A button (xbox) and a sticky X button (ps2) thanks to a kid who pushes the buttons too hard. I am very protective of my property and mashing buttons ruins controllers, in my opinion. I never take out frustration on destructible objects that I own.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »
Button mashing in games is bad enough; button mashing for anger is worse. The rubber membrane that holds the carbon contacts will eventually wear out and give way with enough button mashing. I realize by "mash" the anger-bearers probably mean more like squeezing the controller, and that's still bad.

PS3 boomerang looks mighty uncomfortable around the area where your hands are supposed to go in order to reach the triggers and the face buttons. I would try one, though.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 07:05:23 PM »
When frustrated with a game at this age, I usually just say, "Grrrrrrrrrrr..." and keep going, or put the controller in my lap and spend a few moments doing whatever else I'm doing. But, not so sound arrogant... but I don't get frustrated with games as often as I used to. I don't die much in games anymore. Except The Lost Levels... This sure was annoying:

Still need to beat it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:55 PM »
That game is tough, and I mean "rip out your hair" tough, I could never get past World 4-2, of was it 4-3?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »
I cannot answer that. And... it's not as tough as it once was.
Oh, "I still need to beat it," refers to the game itself. I'm at 8-4.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 07:52:48 PM »
Only once.  And I remember it clearly.
While playing Super Smash Brothers Melee, I was surprised to find that I had performed whatever task was necessary to unlock Luigi.  Seeing his silhouette and hearing that alarm got me extremely anxious, so I eagerly sat on the edge of my couch and prepared myself.... 
I believe I lasted around five seconds before dying...
Luigi's annoying moves (he flounces everywhere and acts rather dainty) provoked my frustration, and so, being the immature person I was, I stared at the screen, stood up, and chucked my controller at the seat of the couch.  Naturally, I turned off the game system with little more than a loud "GRAHHHHHHHHHH!"
After the anger quelled, though, I used logical understanding to simply try again (just beat all the target games, or something...).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:54:57 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 07:55:46 PM »
I cannot answer that. And... it's not as tough as it once was.
Oh, "I still need to beat it," refers to the game itself. I'm at 8-4.

I haven't even tried. I'm too scared.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »
Perhaps a few times in my youth, but nowadays I just rip the game out without turning off the power (GBA/DS) or just turn it off (Wii).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:52 PM »
I don't throw controllers, even though I often get really frustrated with my games. I think the most damage I'll do will be because of slamming my DS shut. I do that a lot when either A: I'm doing really in a game and I end up hitting the Power button instead of Up, or B: I'm just flat out doing horribly.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
The rubber membrane that holds the carbon contacts will eventually wear out and give way
That's exactly what happened with my NES controllers. I took them apart to try to see what the problem was, and I saw the rubber membranes were severed. They completely detached in my attempt to re-assemble the controller.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 09:14:46 PM »
No, I don't throw video game controllers or handhelds because of getting mad at games.  But once when I was ten I threw a GBA because I was mad at something else and it was the closest throwable thing.  It didn't break.  I have problems.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2007, 04:37:03 AM »
Okay so I gotta admit, I do throw controllers. I know it's a bad habit but I have sort of an explosive temper. So whatever. And please don't stop to tell me I'm an idiot, or that I'm damaging my stuff.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 06:54:29 AM »
You're an idiot who damages his stuff.

...just kidding.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Print