Print

Author Topic: The AMBIVALENT Thread: Have Mixed Feelings Here!  (Read 31520 times)

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
I'd probably sell myself short by going for what's within my reach. I'd rather do push-ups until the pain is unbearable and squats until my ankles are about to sprain due to my slight knock-kneedness.

Good ideas about the DIY equipment -- I'd really rather not go to a gym at this point.

Oddly enough, I've been awake since 8:00 AM yesterday, but have long stopped feeling hungry. Mind you, I can't think straight, and barely know what I'm typing right now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:39:08 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Went 1.5 miles in 20 minutes, which supposedly killed 180 calories. Sad thing is, that's barely a "warm-up" by workout standards, but I'm already exhausted. My legs have been sore for the last five days. When will I magically become "addicted" to exercise like /fit/ says I will?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:08:57 PM by Weegee »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
I don't know when it will happen.  The last time I was addicted to exercise (weight lifting, racket ball, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.) I was in high school and junior college.  I was addicted to riding my mountain bike around Southern California for a while though.  Now the most exercise I get is waling up and down two flights of stairs several times a day and pushing a lawnmower in the Summer. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
Walked a little under four kilometres (2.3 miles) without stopping today.

God I hate exercise.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
If only staying put was even worse.  Maybe that's why I like going for walks: I live with my brother in his dingy apartment, and walks are an escape from that physical space (and also provide thinking time free from distraction).

I'm moving to the city in the beginning of April.  I'm simultaneously excited and nervous.
Pros:
-I'll be in the gayborhood, with plenty more opportunities to meet gay people.
-I'll have my own bed, which I will keep clean (unlike my brother's couch, where I currently sleep).
-I won't have to commute two hours via bicycle and train to rehearsal and work (assuming I can transfer jobs)
-Sleep will be uninterrupted!
-I'll have the space to paint again.
Cons:
-I'm trying to transfer job locations, which might not work.  If not, I have to find another job.
-The rent is my paycheck.
-Despite all the benefits of moving, I feel like it won't solve my "what-are-you-doing-with-your-life" problem.  Maybe having more friends in their 20s will make me feel better about being a barista?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
Why do gay people always congregate in urban gaybourhoods? Why not gayburbs or rural gayfarms?

Back to fitness, I can't run. I can walk until the cows come home, but I have to stop to catch my breath every hundred feet running or even jogging. Something about the full-body motion required for anything more than a brisk walk leaves me winded.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:23:42 AM by Weegee »

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
I went down from 242 pounds to 222 in a month, but haven't shed a single pound in the last week.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
But are you decreasing in volume?  Are your pants loser?  That is, if you are exercising you could be gaining muscle which is more dense than fat making it look like you are not progressing.  Have you been using a caliper or method of measuring your body mass index?   
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
Seeing as I'm just walking briskly, I don't I'm gaining muscle. My pants loosened gradually over the past month, but haven't any more this week. My BMI is down from 31.5 (obese) to 28.6 (severely overweight).

I've also been told I'm undereating. Today I had two bananas and a steak, and I don't plan on having more. Not eating green vegetables probably doesn't help.

How're you coming along, BP?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2013, 02:41:06 AM »
Great. I'd stayed around/under 180 for a long long time without doing anything but eating properly, and have been keeping it in check since changing my sleep schedule (I may be gaining muscle now though, I can't really tell from looking). I can pull off a Medium shirt now, as my once-snug Larges are getting looser and the XLs I can't believe I used to wear normally in high school drape over me. Kind of a shame, because I have Viewtiful Joe's un-henshined shirt and a shirt with DemiDog from Gunshow on it and can't wear them as anything but pajamas anymore, and now I need a lot of new clothes, again. I hope I don't sound like I'm boasting. It's just amazing-feeling, I'm proud of myself, and I never want the weight back. Or the heartburn, a thing I so rarely have now and do not miss. It's worth the effort to build the fortress and defend it.

For you, yeah I would recommend vegetables. From what's worked for me, I think diet is more important than exercise, which doesn't mean starve yourself and eat the same things in minimal quantities, but change what you eat. Which is something I was able to do thanks in no small part to my family... for the last couple of years, we've shopped almost only for the groceries we need for the week according to recipes picked out in advance--healthy stuff, lots of chicken, fish at least once every week, much less beef and pasta, grilled and baked stuff with low sodium--and stuck to that. It's cheaper too.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 04:30:56 AM »
Unfortunately, I can't stand vegetables besides the starchy, barely-healthy ones like rice, corn, and potatoes. Salad makes me gag. Between that and trying to limit my carbs as much as possible, there's not much I can eat. Some people have been suggesting the ketogenic diet, but I want something sustainable in the long-term.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
There may be some reality in "learn to love it." I used to have to really force myself to down broccoli simply because I knew I had to eat it, and wouldn't even go near it if it were cooked. Now it's enjoyable, even. As far as salad, how about spinach? Spinach, onion, dried berries, pine nuts topped with a little crumbled goat cheese and Asian sesame ginger dressing makes for my favorite salad ever. I despise canned vegetables but like some frozen ones. I also really like beets and parsnips, raw or cooked. I crave nuts a lot, probably because of the protein I don't get from eating so much less red meat.

Do whatever you want, but I'd say go for cramming 'em down your throat, stay strong, and see if Stockholm Syndrome kicks in eventually. Not that I don't understand, and no it's not easy. It doesn't make any sense that the body doesn't naturally become ravenous for foods that are good for it. What the hell, biology.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
Tough love, but you're probably right.

I may have to get a gym membership. The temptation to put down my water-filled milk jugs and go back to the computer is nearly insurmountable for me.

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
Oh, we're talking about dieting? I weighed 175 pounds in high school (overweight according to BMI charts) and was able to slim down to 140 by eating just 1,800 calories a day and walking everywhere. It certainly upped my self-esteem, but I've also become quite obsessive about my appearance. If I don't walk or run, I feel extremely unattractive. Better than feeling unattractive all of the time I suppose? *shrugs* Take that as you will.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2013, 04:00:23 AM »
We went out for dinner last night. According to the .pdf on their website, I consumed about 1000 calories and 50% of the daily suggested fat intake. Haven't eaten since. Every time I look at food, I just equate it with having to walk more laps around the block.

Do you think sleeping through breakfast and lunch four days a week is taking a toll on my metabolism?

Print