Poll

What is your sexual/romantic orientation?

Heterosexual
29 (69%)
Homosexual
6 (14.3%)
Bisexual
2 (4.8%)
Pansexual
0 (0%)
Hetero-romantic asexual
1 (2.4%)
Homo-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Bi-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Pan-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Aromantic asexual
0 (0%)
Unsure / "it's complicated" / other
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Sexual Orientation  (Read 120394 times)

« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
82% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I don't care if "half the population" is gay (that is, I'm ok with it/them). It's not going to change my sexual orientation. I'm ok with same sex couples/marriages.

I.. don't have much else to say on the topic right now..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »
It's not going to change my sexual orientation.

...but what if it did? :U

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »
"The ayes have it. With five votes out of nine, the motion is passed, and Toad is now polydemisexual."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
As someone whose sexual orientation actually did change, I'm laughing really hard at the thread right now :D
~I.S.~

« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
* Toad is glad he made someone laugh, even if inadvertantly
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
This is the second time I've heard the "half of everybody in the country is gay" statistic. I'd like to not hear it again without some credible sources.

Here's a credible source regarding LGBT demographics.  The nationwide average is only 3.5%.

From what to what, I.S.?  I only know of my bisexual friends whose orientations tend to oscillate (at different magnitudes) between men and women.  I have one friend who's currently in a same-sex relationship with a guy, his second guy relationship, who had only dated women through high school.  He argues that his predominant attraction to men does not cancel out his previous, genuine attraction to women.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Misleading title.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
Personally, I kinda like the idea of making up a new name that's a mashup of both names. Not hyphenated; I mean like if BP and LD got married, their last name could be Wellel or Laurch or something like that. Success of this method does depend greatly on the two people having a good combination of names. Although if the names themselves don't work, I suppose you could also translate the meanings of the names into some other language and see if they work better that way.

Also this thread keeps showing up next to "Changing One's IP Address" in the recent unread topics, and I read them as "Changing One's Sexual Orientation" every time.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »
Remind me not to marry LD. Those last names are terrible.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
Why not usernames?
Derson
Pude
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
From what to what, I.S.?

Straight to bi (preferring women). Or, Kinsey 0 to Kinsey 2. This actually happened between when I last left the boards and when I came back, basically it's hard to describe but somehow a latent part of my sexuality got woken up due to various things happening.

I think what bothers me about this is this it actually lends some credence to the idea that bigots like to throw around that sexuality is a choice and that gay people can be "cured" (by isolating and assaulting them in some cases). I kind of think that, from my experiences, that you can change in a way where you gain some affinity towards your non-preferred sex, but not the other way around. Like, I don't think there'd be any event short of head trauma that would cause me to not be attracted to women, but over the last year and a half or so I kind of discovered that I'm nowhere near as adverse to sexual encounters with men as I thought.

As for surnames, my thoughts have been that in my ideal world no one changes their name when they marry, and that the child takes on the name of the same-sex parent (in cases where the sex of the child is easily determined). I think the only real problem with this is that some people who care far too much about their lineage might force their partner to keep having children until they get one of each sex in the cases where two people have several children of the same sex in a row.

I mean, I got a pretty masculine sounding last name and I really can't think of too many female names that go well with it. I know that my girlfriend's name sounds kind of terrible with my last name and I honestly wouldn't care at all if she kept her name (I'm not doing the hyphenated garbage, though. Screw that).
~I.S.~

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
I've heard of Kinsey shifts like that, where it's only by a few points and does not exclude the original sex/gender that was found attractive.  I think bisexuality is largely misunderstood in our society as a phase, a bout of indecision, or as a stance of equal preference between men and women.  While I'm entirely gay, I've had multiple bi friends who have been doubted or rejected by gay and straight friends alike for their sexual identity, just because it doesn't lie neatly at one end of the spectrum.

Regarding last names, I have a strange Eastern European last name that doesn't sound particularly cool or fancy.  However, spelled backwards you get a Persian first name.  My wish is to give my son this name so that his full name is a palindrome.  It's kind of the only reason I would want children.  I have my priorities in order, don't I?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
Love the priorities, Markio! ;)

Just make sure the middle name is a palindrome, too, or the whole concept will fall apart.
Now you totally have to give your future son the middle name Otto or Neven or Reinier or something. ...Or Bob. Not Robert, but Bob. That would be hilarious.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »
I want a daughter named Olivia. The rhythm of it with my last name (pronounced properly, being that my Spanish-speaking ancestors had it before me) is great. o-LI-VI-a-lau-REL. The middle name would have to get in on this too but I dunno yet what. o-LI-VI-a-mc-RO-BO-cop-lau-REL. o-LI-VI-a-the-SOR-CER-ess-lau-REL. You get the idea.

I want a son and a daughter, like my parents have. But I am the last boy born on my mom's side of the family in 21 years and I'm afraid some kind of Gerudo curse has squeaseled its way in here and made me the only male for the 100 years following my birth or something. Two of my cousins have had two girls since. One of those two cousins is pregnant with her third kid, and... it's really obnoxious to say, I know, but I hope it's a boy so much. It's lonely being the last one. The girls are funny and think I'm great but I want a boy in the family to look up to me, you know? And now I feel like it's too late 'cause I'm too old. Even if I'm the coolest first-cousin-once-removed ever, I'm still a grown-up one and the generation gap would get in the way. But maybe not because, again, all four of his older siblings and cousins are girls. I'd be the next-best thing... but then, I'm not super-close to either of my older male cousins either because they're about 15 years older than me. So [darnit]! Point: I'd better not be disappointed at all if I end up having two girls 'cause I think it's probably gonna happen.
It's YOUR problem!

Print