Yes
42 (71.2%)
No
9 (15.3%)
Unsure
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Print

Author Topic: A Survey This Is  (Read 114002 times)

« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »
Hello again!  I guess I might as well come back for one second to say something!

I think the main reason I believe in God is because I know he has changed me a lot since I first became a Christian and still does (and not by my own determination and hard work).  And not just me but also the many people I see at my church who let Him come into their lives and they too change so much that it's amazing.  People who were selfish or irritating or whatever begin to act like completely new people over time when they ask for His help and let Him work (they don't become perfect but they keep on changing through life if they stick with God).

As far as creation/evolution goes, I believe that God made everything because of what I see.  When I look at nature like the various creatures, plants, and humans and learn about how complicated and complex everything is, but still works perfectly (as in functions properly) I think that everything is way too wonderful and awesome to possibly happen by accident.  I've never heard of a single accident that made something good happen (unless it be da enemy dat get blow'd up!!) so it's harder for me to believe that an accident could make something as great as the universe.  I hope I don't offend anyone by what I say because I understand if someone disagrees with me if they have their own thoughts and I just want to share my own views.  I probably need to learn more about both sides of this topic so I can stay balanced in my thinking and see what's correct and what isn't.

Oh yeah, and the surprise I mentioned before... I'm still working on that and getting closer.  I think it's gonna turn out pretty cool! (if I ever finish it)  I may not return again until I'm ready with it.

Insane Steve: Sorry you feel like an outcast.  Why do you feel that way?  Is there any way we can help you feel like an incast again? XD

GD: From what I learned in biology and according to evolution, the oxygen in the atmosphere came from plants that evolved from some water-inhabiting species that evolved and didn't need oxygen or food to live.  The first creatures could multiply by... something that involved DNA replication I think (I know there were at least 3 different theories about DNA replication and which came first: RNA, DNA, or tRNA).  Sorry that's all I remember.  I think that Creation is so much easier to remember and understand!  Six days and one Creator.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:17:42 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »
In my mind, those gases were created by a series of several consecutive sub-atomic chemical reactions -- one of which got so incredibly dense at one highly specific point that it exploded massively. And so began the universe in the eyes of the skeptic.

I believe in the Big Bang because I see more evidence for it than I do for Creation. Everyday, countless chemical reactions occur in the world to create things that weren't there before. I don't see humans or other things just appearing out of thin air on an everyday basis.

And if God created the Universe, how exactly did God get into the universe in the first place? If you want to use the "Somebody had to make the universe" argument, how did that "somebody" come to exist?

If there's one thing I honestly cannot stand about religion, it's people trying to pass off Intelligent Design as a "science." (I know you said NOTHING about Creation being a science -- I am referring to people who turn Intelligent Design into a court case and sometimes win) Believe what you want, but I don't see how it's "science" if it's a belief and hasn't been approached in its design by any scientific methods. Highly complex things came to exist, as least to me, because several not-as-complex things decided to happen all at the same time, several times, and step-by-step, a complex, really neat thing was created. A lot of people who believe in ID compare it to a clockmaker -- Clocks were too complex to exist by chance, right? Why not humans?

Because this example is flawed. Instead of a fully capable clockmaker making a lot, evolution is like some blind person with no knowledge of anything at all taking a bunch of random parts and indiscriminately making random things with them. Now, a lot of these random things are completely useless. A lot are worse than the parts needed to make them! However, a few of the things that came as a result of this action were improvements. Other blind widget-makers took note of how cool these things were, and told the first person to make more of those things. As those things are make, some of these are not perfectly designed: Some are better than the first prototype, some worse. While this is being hammered out, the next person takes these improved pieces and smashes them together and alters them in the same random way. Some of these prototypes are useless and are not made anymore. Some are more useful than their initial products and are reproduced more frequently. Eventually, as a result of several many occurences of this event and several millions of useless designs that "go extinct" because they are not as good as others, one day a clock is randomly formed. Those who note it see how obscenely useful this item is, and it is reproduced very rapidly over all other designs. Some of these reproductions aren't quite as good, but every so often a mistake is made that makes the clock BETTER. It's noted, and the better mistake clock is now made more frequently.

Only instead of clocks, it's organisms. And this process takes billions upon billions of attempts before a "useful" creature comes to be.

The comment about me feeling outside these forums comes from a few things. Mainly major personality differences. Then again, this is still the best Mario forum I've found, ever, so I'm staying regardless.

Oh, and I'm not trying to turn this into an argument, I merely want to see another perspective of how everything came to be.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:30:27 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
Wow, quick reply!  I need to organize my thoughts better before I edit everything 65 billion times. *rimshot*

And if God created the Universe, how exactly did God get into the universe in the first place? If you want to use the "Somebody had to make the universe" argument, how did that "somebody" come to exist?

Oh, and I'm not trying to turn this into an argument, I merely want to see another perspective of how everything came to be.

In my opinion and some others, God existed before time and created time itself.  I know that sounds insane (no pun intended ;) ) but that's all the best thing I can think of.  Otherswise you could say that evolution made God but that's going way too far.  The same question about God could go to evolution such as where it came from and what caused it, but no one would know the answer because no one was there when it happened.  Unless there were aliens there then maybe... *goes on forever until he's so confused and everyone is so bored that the forum blows up and creates the Nintendo website*
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:26:26 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2006, 03:39:12 PM »
Hey! YR, you're back!
*Shakes his hands*
You missed so much!

Anyway, many scientists believe that life on earth was caused by a meteorite. At the early stages of earth, there was no life. They believe that a meteorite filled with bacterium crashed into the water of earth, of which life evolvd underwater, then walked up onto the land after gr3owing legs and arms. Check out maxis's upcoming game, Spore, for a great game following scientists beliefs.
Most Wishy-Washy

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #304 on: March 20, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
Well, a can of worms has been re-opened. I'll add my 2 cents though.

I'm a Catholic. I don't believe in creation exactly as written. In fact, it is only written to teach a moral lesson. Truly, this creation story was stole form the old Babylonian tale Enumah Elish
1. God is creator: How? We don't know. That dosen't matter. In fact I believe God got everything in the big band lined up and ready to go. It is pretty sillyy to reject the big bang and accept a story that dates back to 6000 years maximum.
2. Man is the height of creation. You notice in the 2 creation stories in the Bible, Man is created LAST in the first story, and FIRST in the second.  These both emphasize man as the peak of creation. Who knows if Adam existed? Probably not.
3. Man is to be the steward of creation. THis is pretty self-explanitory.
4. Marrige has been created by God and is holy. "Be fruitfull and multiply" is God's first comandment, according to the story.
There you have it: the 4 truths of the creation story. Everything in that story is a symbol for something greater. If you want to believe in the creation story word-for-word, you have my blessing. But I for one, will not.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2006, 04:11:54 PM »
YR's back? Where?! *get's binoculars.*

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2006, 04:33:19 PM »
In my mind, those gases were created by a series of several consecutive sub-atomic chemical reactions -- one of which got so incredibly dense at one highly specific point that it exploded massively. And so began the universe in the eyes of the skeptic.

Once again who created all of those big and different words you used.
(We could do this all day, you know.)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2006, 06:35:11 PM »
G-Dawg, Your argument sucks.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »
Well you come up with something better then.  I'm just trying to prove that God created everything, I mean everything, and how everything in the universe happened.  So you try to do better, at least I'm trying! Geez people these days. Still no offense to you Steve, just trying to prove my point.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »
Once again who created all of those big and different words you used.
(We could do this all day, you know.)

G-Dawg. May I suggest that you don't make foolish arguments. You have already opened this can of worms. You could at least make a logical argument to defent your point. Talking about who made words is a TERRIBLLY AWFUL argument. You are doing no favors by creating childish arguments like this.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
Well I didn't understand all of the numerous enormous words he used together.  Sorry if I'm not proving my point very well, like I said I'm trying my best.  I don't want to get on anybody's bad side.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2006, 07:37:09 PM »
Words came from the need of humans to store information outside their bodies. Eventually after many years, different languages were developed. After a long time, some of these languages died out, while others were further developed or mixed together to create other new languages. So, most of the words we are using are mutated forms of words that were invented by the Greeks, Romans, and Germans, and a lot of those probably have roots even further back in history.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 07:39:35 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
Thank you, Professor Chupperson.  <-- I meant no harm by that comment. (AKA ROLF L0L)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:25:29 PM by Koopaslaya »
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2006, 09:22:53 PM »
I don't think G-Dawg meant "words" literally. I think he meant something like, "Once again, who created all of those things you used those big and different words for?"

Koopaslaya, could you please be a little more polite?

I'm not going to get involved in a debate about evolution here, since forum debates tend to be harrowing if one doesn't really feel like arguing in them. What's more, I was just about to post one thing that I thought was evidence against evolution, but I looked it up on Wikipedia first and found out that that particular thing wouldn't have worked as evidence after all. So I doubt I would be any good at arguing against evolutionary theory anyway. I should leave that to the experts.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2006, 10:38:34 PM »
Instead of focusing on the origins of things, I would propose something that I like to call "subatomic intervention."

What if subatomic particles did not move randomly, but were influenced by our thoughts and God's? It's an interesting comcept, although I'm sure it'll be ridden with bullet holes before too long.

Print