Yes
42 (71.2%)
No
9 (15.3%)
Unsure
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Print

Author Topic: A Survey This Is  (Read 113311 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2006, 09:27:54 PM »
While it's undeniable that evolution occurs, I'm pretty sure we didn't evolve from apes. That's my two cents on that.
That was a joke.

« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »
I would bet 3 cents that we didn't.  I know they have proof that we are similar to monkeys, but you know, I don't even want to think that we are related.  It would be too weird and scary.  Because you would have to go to the zoo to have a family reunion, you know.  I don't think that's supposed to be.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2006, 12:24:37 PM »
It's been said in this topic before, but if we came from monkeys, why are monkeys still here? Why is there no specie between human and monkey in the world?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »
That's true, Thank you BP.

« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »
It's been said in this topic before, but if we came from monkeys, why are monkeys still here? Why is there no specie between human and monkey in the world?

Thats exactly what I was trying to find out.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »
Yes mam! I truly 100% believe in God. I do not, however, agree with Darwin's theory of evolution because to me it is 100% bull s---, and it should not be taught in school nor should that "intellegent design" that some new freak scientist has come up with. I believe the truth should be taught, and that students should be forced to believe it.
I see poop.

« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
While it's undeniable that evolution occurs, I'm pretty sure we didn't evolve from apes. That's my two cents on that.

Then what did we evolve from?

I would bet 3 cents that we didn't.  I know they have proof that we are similar to monkeys, but you know, I don't even want to think that we are related.  It would be too weird and scary.  Because you would have to go to the zoo to have a family reunion, you know.  I don't think that's supposed to be.

Do you have family reunions with your relatives dating back millions of years? If you were going to the zoo for a family reunion, you'd have to include every single human in the party, too.

Monkeys are still here because they're still the masters of living in their specific environments, jungles, savannas, and the like. No other species has successfully outcompeted them there. Evolution is not a linear progression of making things "better". Stuff just changes randomly through naturally occuring mutation, and when some change creates a creature more likely to survive and thus mate and have offspring, and thus genetically pass on that successful trait to the offspring, and thus make them more successful and spread the new trait even further, this new version could be better suited to a different environment and take control there but not eliminate the original species, or it could be strictly better at the existing environment and cause the the original version to go extinct, or both old and new could co-exist. Modern humans and monkeys don't really heavily compete for the same resources so they can easily co-exist (neglecting the fact that humans live everywhere on the planet and are making everything go extinct). There are TONS of species between monkey and human, just go look in a modern biology or anthropology textbook, but for the most part, since more modern versions of humans shared the same resources but were superior at fighting/thinking/food gathering, these are all extinct.

Yes mam! I truly 100% believe in God. I do not, however, agree with Darwin's theory of evolution because to me it is 100% bull s---, and it should not be taught in school nor should that "intellegent design" that some new freak scientist has come up with. I believe the truth should be taught, and that students should be forced to believe it.

As this thread illustrates, you can't force someone to believe something, no matter how much evidence there is to one side or the other.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2006, 05:58:17 PM »
Then what did we evolve from?
Who said we had to evolve from anything? Why is it so unfathomable that the human species is in and of itself, and has only adapted and changed within its own species? Just because we have closer genetic similarities to apes than to other creatures doesn't mean we had to have come from the same "common ancestor." Besides, don't all creatures share more or less genetic similarities to each other? Just because there's correlation, it doesn't neccessarily mean the relationship is what we think it is. Like how there's correlation between crime rates and ice cream sales, two completely unrelated things, there are many, many theorized (and logical) reasons/explanations as to how and why things correlate.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2006, 06:38:55 PM »
We're all carbon-based.

Are dolphins sentient?
That was a joke.

« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »
mario_luigifan104 (and others): I'm glad.  But make sure you always try to know why you believe what you believe, whether it's creation, evolution, or anything.  If you don't, then you may be in for a bad surprise some day.  I have learned for myself that some little things can "throw you for a whirl" if you don't know enough about it.  Just a little suggestion. (And also remember that swearing can hurt people's respect for you or your ideas, unless you're a drill seargent)

For this post I wanted to say something about knowledge instead of just faith, but I don't have time to find information for what I wanted to talk about.  Does anyone know where I can find quick references for the different forms of evolution such as micro- and macroevolution?  I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I plan on reading Enumah Elish later if I have time and remember.

"Officer, that man just swiped my ice cream cone!!"
Officer: "Freeze, man!  Drop the cone and no one gets hurt!"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:00:34 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »
Well, I would say you can find it on the internet, or any Bio Book.

I disagree that evolution shouldn't be a topic in biology class. I think that everything should get a fair shot. It's a theory about how the world works, its unprovable, but likely, especially with the fossil record.

I seem to think that both creation and evolution can be related. No one said that God couldn't have set off the big bang, and let evolution happen! And especially since the framework of the creation story is found in {i}Enumah Elish[/i] a Babalyonian creation story, it is doubtful that it actually happened like that. And the two creation stories in the Bible make it clear that creations is possible but no probable. No one seems to take the 4 truths I gave earlier as good advice.

Unfortunately, this deate will rage on untill the end of the human race. I guess one should go with what he beilieves, but only if it is an educated opinion. I know a lot about evolution and creation, and I think evolution is the better sounding deal, some of you may disagree. I urge you all to become educated before you make your decision though. THat is the most important thing.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2006, 09:13:25 PM »
Unfortunately, this deate will rage on untill the end of the human race. I guess one should go with what he beilieves, but only if it is an educated opinion. I know a lot about evolution and creation, and I think evolution is the better sounding deal, some of you may disagree. I urge you all to become educated before you make your decision though. THat is the most important thing.

Someone give this man a prize.

« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2006, 10:10:01 PM »
Yeah education in stuff that's completely weird and very unlikely.  I dont think it's true, because I believe in the Bible, but I know some you say "Where did the Bible come from" or "How do you know it's true".  I actually don't know.   I just believein it because it seems logical.  I mean to me evolution doesn't make one bit of sense, but you know, that's just me.
(And probably a lot of other people.)

« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »
Education and the public school system should really leave us alone on the subject. Why, just the other day, we watched a video on Darwin, and in the film, he  denied God. I'm not saying that's bad or anything, but I don't agree with him. Yet the teachers expect us to write down his quotes about how evolution was a "better base of belief then creationism." I of course, being a Christian, wrote down on my paper that I refuse to answer these questions based on the fact that I was a Christian and did not believe in evolution. Boy, was I in trouble. I just wish they'd let us be on the subject, becuase they don't permit Christian study, however they drill evolution down our mouths.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2006, 11:48:54 PM »
Education and the public school system should really leave us alone on the subject. Why, just the other day, we watched a video on Darwin, and in the film, he  denied God. I'm not saying that's bad or anything, but I don't agree with him. Yet the teachers expect us to write down his quotes about how evolution was a "better base of belief then creationism." I of course, being a Christian, wrote down on my paper that I refuse to answer these questions based on the fact that I was a Christian and did not believe in evolution. Boy, was I in trouble. I just wish they'd let us be on the subject, becuase they don't permit Christian study, however they drill evolution down our mouths.
That is, well, just plain outrageous. Teaching atheistic evolution as a fact and pointedly ignoring the possibility that the world may have been created, and on top of that trying to force students to make statements that might contradict their religious beliefs, is simply an unacceptable thing for any school to do. Just because something is a secular institution doesn't mean that it has to work against religion (though a lot of people today, like the ACLU, seem to think that it does). Public schools are funded by the government, which thrives on our money, and now they are increasingly becoming centers for atheistic and left-wing propaganda. It drives me mad the way people nowadays are trying to utterly stamp out every trace of religious belief left in this country.

If the public school people just taught evolution as a theory, and also let the students know about the other side of the debate, there wouldn't be a problem. Evolution cannot be rightly considered a fact, since it has never been proven and cannot be proven, just as the idea that the universe was created cannot be proven.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Print