Poll

Which of the following do you believe has, does, or will exist, or is true?

Good luck
4 (0.6%)
Aliens
22 (3.2%)
Angels
29 (4.2%)
Bigfoot
6 (0.9%)
Demons
23 (3.3%)
Elves
5 (0.7%)
Ghosts
19 (2.7%)
Heaven
40 (5.8%)
Hell
38 (5.5%)
Living dinosaurs today
6 (0.9%)
Leprechauns
6 (0.9%)
Loch Ness Monster
13 (1.9%)
The Trinity
6 (0.9%)
Mermaids
4 (0.6%)
Moth Man
2 (0.3%)
Other dimensions (as in worlds)
15 (2.2%)
The possibility of teleportation
10 (1.4%)
UFOs
19 (2.7%)
Yetis
4 (0.6%)
Santa Claus
8 (1.2%)
Chewbacca
5 (0.7%)
Vampires
3 (0.4%)
Satan
26 (3.8%)
Fairies
5 (0.7%)
Miracles
18 (2.6%)
ESP
9 (1.3%)
None of these things
1 (0.1%)
Prophetic dreams/visions
22 (3.2%)
Telepathic connections
10 (1.4%)
Witches/Witchcraft
10 (1.4%)
Hobbits
1 (0.1%)
Multiple gods
4 (0.6%)
Atlantis
6 (0.9%)
Nirvana
3 (0.4%)
Speaking in tongues
8 (1.2%)
Greek legends
2 (0.3%)
Luigi in SM64 (don't even!)
8 (1.2%)
Magic
9 (1.3%)
Sesame Street
6 (0.9%)
Spontaneous combustion
9 (1.3%)
Fate
11 (1.6%)
Unicorns
2 (0.3%)
Griffins
2 (0.3%)
Fawns
2 (0.3%)
Dragons
7 (1%)
Tanukis
5 (0.7%)
Phoenixes
3 (0.4%)
Pegasus
2 (0.3%)
Jesus as God's son
24 (3.5%)
The Rapture
12 (1.7%)
Love at first site
11 (1.6%)
Soul mates
13 (1.9%)
Superstition as real
4 (0.6%)
Limbo
7 (1%)
Reincarnation
6 (0.9%)
Fountain of Youth
6 (0.9%)
Time travel
12 (1.7%)
Werewolves
2 (0.3%)
Centaurs
1 (0.1%)
Zombies
3 (0.4%)
The Apocalypse
14 (2%)
The existence of the missing link(s)
7 (1%)
The possibility of world peace
8 (1.2%)
Girls on the internet!
21 (3%)
Bob
9 (1.3%)
Bob's mom
5 (0.7%)
Gaia
2 (0.3%)
Future mass extinction
7 (1%)
Human cloning without side affects
6 (0.9%)
Purgatory
3 (0.4%)
Alternate realities
5 (0.7%)
Voodoo
2 (0.3%)
Evil curses
3 (0.4%)
Absolutes
4 (0.6%)
Relativity of knowledge
3 (0.4%)
The Secret Page
6 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Print

Author Topic: I Don't Believe It!  (Read 91844 times)

« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2006, 07:56:51 PM »
Koopaslaya: Well... I have heard the theory of a waiting place before entering heaven, so maybe that's kind of like that.  I'm sorry, I guess that I struggle to accept new ideas sometimes.  I just don't know much about it and it seems like a contradiction to some things in the Bible.  I'm not sure if I believe it, but I'll try to find out more.  However, I do think that at least some of the verses were misinterpreted.

New options up!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:00:06 AM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2006, 07:40:34 AM »
Well, I don't like to double-post, but there's something I feel like I need to ask.  In your opinion (anyone), do you think that I need to change my behaviour a little here?  I'm starting to wonder if maybe I talk too much or I'm somewhat unkind/insensitive to people or their comments or beliefs.  I'm not asking this to try and get compliments, but I just want to know the truth about my actions so I can try to improve myself in the future.  Sometimes I feel a little ignored and I wonder if it's because my posts are too long, goofy, unimportant or whatever, but I also know that not everyone reads everything and I'm not the only one.  And if you think I'm too paranoid you can say that too! XD

Anyway... that's all I wanted to know.  It's important for me to learn how to get along with people (both online and in the real world) and I don't want to offend people with my words (unless I "have to").  Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:54:33 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2006, 10:28:48 AM »
No, you have no need to change. You are probably one of the most sensitive to others' beliefs (regardless of if you talk about them a lot or not). Long posts are a good thing and usually more constructive and interesting than a one-liner (we're all guilty), but there always is the risk of being skimmed over if too long. I don't do that, but like you said, some skip them or are too daunted by the amount of content to reply. That's just a fact the discerning poster has to accept.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »
What LD said. (Uh oh, example of a one-liner... >_>; )
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2006, 04:43:29 PM »
I do not believe in any type of god or magical being created the universe at all.  To me, all stories with religion are way to magical to even be considered real.  I believe that religions were created by people long ago because they didn't have the science to explain eveything.  Religion was created just so people could feel good about having "answers."  I do not really care if somebody believes in a god or anything, I just think it is a little strange.:P
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »
Hmm.  I know a lot of people who think that too.  But, come on people, do you honestly think that we are supposed to understand everything about this complex universe???  Humans aren't that smart, and I think people tend to think that everything has an explenation, when really nothing truly does.
To me, science is just another term for "studying the things that God created".
Faith is something priceless.  :-/
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »
Maybe there's a race of beings out there that do understand the universe.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2006, 08:04:29 PM »
Yeah, but only one, and He's the Creator. ;)
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
LD and Sapph: Thanks!  That's good to hear.  I'm trying to be nice but sometimes I can say mean things and think that I'm just teasing.

TBT: Excellent point.  Science is very important for learning about things, but it can't answer some questions like "why" (which is where faith comes in).  As long as science doesn't try to hide the truth or invent it's own truth.

"A wise man changes his ideas to fit the truth,  A foolish man changes the truth to fit his ideas." (A new sig idea for Sapph)

Fuzzy: Actually, people believe in religions because of what people or gods did in the past and they try to live like them, or do what they taught, etc.  Some religions are probably made up, some are based on true things and put together with other ideas, and some are completely true (at least, I think one is).

Sometimes I wonder if heck is located inside the Earth, like some cartoons joke about.  I think the Bible mentioned that Jesus went "inside the Earth" for 3 days to do something (like preach to the generation before the Flood I think) so maybe that means heck.  I remember how Luigison said something about not believing ideas soley because the Bible says it, but I think it's okay if it doesn't have a huge part in life.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:55:30 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2006, 06:57:14 AM »
Maybe heck is depicted as a pit of fire because the Earth's core is supposed to be really hot.

Here's something else:

Did God create the Dinosaurs?

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2006, 09:05:37 AM »
The Bible never mentions dinosaurs.  It is probably because the people writing the religion didn't even know what dinosaurs were so they didn't include them in the story that supposidly tells you how everything works.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2006, 12:28:04 PM »
Yeah I get confused with that stuff. Scientists say that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, but God created the Earth like 5,000 yrs or something like that. Anybody want to help me out?

« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2006, 12:32:45 PM »
It does mention dinos, but I can't remember where, so I'd appreciate someone backing me up. :) Also, just count how many years by the thousands ect, and you'll see that earth is not 6 million years old like so many books tell.
I'm a horrible person.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »
[H]ere's an interesting bit of information. The world is estimated to be billions of years old, right? As are many fossils that have been found. . . .Well, different dating methods (i.e. carbon dating) have been found to not be all that accurate or reliable. For example (again, I don't have a source; sorry >_<), this group of scientists or archaeologists or both KNEW this building was 100 years old. They KNEW it; it was a complete fact. Using carbon dating (or some other "reliable" common method), the results said that the building was something like around 1000 to 50,000 years old (or some ridiculous amount like that; I don't remember the numbers, other than the difference was ENORMOUS between the carbon date and the actual date). There was absolutely no question about age of the building, yet look how extremely off and inaccurate the results were. Our tools are not always fool-proof, so some "scientific estimations" may actually be inaccurate. The world may very well not be billions of years old. It may be, it may not be; there's no actual complete, 100% undoubted proof. More evidence that a lot of "science" requires faith, because hard facts are not always there, or are not always accurate.

Another explanation/idea of earth's age:
I believe, personally, that the world was not created literally in 6 days, but that the story divides it into 6 days  because at the time it was written, it was the most fathomable way to explain it. Those "days" in actuality could have been thousands or millions of years. The Bible says that to God, "a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day"--which I take to mean that God is not bound by time, as we are (which also explains how he always was, is, and will be, etc.). Since we are bound by time, it's extremely hard to fathom that something could NOT be bound by a time plane (kind of like something bound in the 2nd dimension trying to explain/understand the 3rd dimension, if you will). Anyway, since God's not bound by time, it could've taken however long or short he wanted it to, to create the universe. Because of not being bound by time, it would be kind of hard to explain when these things took place and how long it took, so it was divided into 6 main events--put into neatly packaged "days" for understanding. It very well may have taken 6 literal days, but regardless, that's not the important fact of the matter.

« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »
In 1650, Archbishop James Ussher of the Church of Ireland made a careful study of the Bible and other historical sources and concluded, in a hefty tome called Annals of the Old Testament, that the Earth had been created at midday on October 23, 4004 B.C.

Print