Poll

So, would you be okay if Disney bought Nintendo?

Yes because Pixar and Marvel are fine and/or Nintendo is in bad shape.
1 (11.1%)
No because they would make everything too kid-friendly, and I would probably want to stage a coup d'etat.
2 (22.2%)
It could be good, it could be bad, but I don't think we'll know for sure.
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Print

Author Topic: What if Disney Bought Nintendo?  (Read 22089 times)

« on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »
Disney has Pixar, the Muppets, and Marvel, but what would happen if they bought Nintendo?  Would they ruin any franchises?  Would they save any franchises?  Can you see the future?  Is there any way of knowing?

Here are two musical predictions as to what might happen if Disney suddenly bought Nintendo.

Version 1.0: What Negative-Thinking People might Think would Happen

An ensemble of Nintendo characters dances with creatures from Bambi.  Colonel KR, himself, in full knightly battle gear, pops out of a bush and starts singing these words:

Gather everyone from far and near.
No more things that would cause children fear.
We have some good news you’ll love to hear:
We’re all obligated to bring cheer!

Now Bowser’s emotions all are shared.
Yoshi is drunk off of fresh air.
Ganondorf believes in playing fair.
Pikachu is braiding Samus’ hair.

Too much violence can be bad taste,
So Kirby and Link bake fresh cupcakes.
Mario will dance and Donkey Kong sings.
Olimar wears a purity ring.

We’re a happy family for kids
’Cause we all forgot who Spyro is.
Say goodbye to heroes who are tough.
We can never play it safe enough!

Version 2.0: What Positive-Thinking People might Think would Happen, Lion King Style!

(Me): *Random African-sounding nonsense.*

(Backup Singers): *Random African-sounding nonsense.*

An array of Nintendo characters slowly gathers at small cliff where Captain Falcon is standing.  Peach and Colonel KR, again in full knightly battle gear, are standing behind him expectantly.

(Backup Singers): Disney-Nintendo, Disney Nintendo x ∞.

(Me): On the day that they first signed that contract
And Nintendo became Disney’s tool,
Disney gave to Nintendo the tax cuts they needed.
Nintendo got tons of money to blow
IN THE CONTRACT FOR LIFE!

On that note, Captain Falcon holds up a baby-sized adult Mario with Mickey Mouse ears on his hat.  The characters below rejoice by acting like monkeys.  In the case of Donkey and Diddy Kong, they just act like themselves.

Great things await all,
And Pixar will make films
About SSB Brawl.

The other Nintendo characters bow in submission to the awesomeness of Mickey Mario.

There is no downside
To getting your hopes up
For the awesomeness
OF THE CONTRACT FOR LIFE!

(Me and Backup Singers: AWESOME!)

Okay, that’s all said and done.  Let’s look at both sides of this possible future event.  On the one hand, Disney has a reputation for “Disney-fying” many non-Disney franchises in its wake.  One the other hand, when Disney bought Pixar, everyone said it would be a disaster, but we got Cars and WALL-E; and when Disney bought Marvel, everyone said it would be a disaster, but we got The Avengers.  It’s also true that Nintendo’s kind of in bad shape in its struggle against the iPhone/iPad/Droid game rage, so maybe it needs support from a “big brother,” but what if Disney took that role too literally…?

So, what’s your take on this possible future event?  Can we even be sure what will happen if Disney does buy Nintendo?  I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:34:25 AM by TheColonelKR »
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:57 PM »
Mushroom Kingdom Hearts
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
Hahahaha what
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »
If Disney buys Nintendo (which it won't) then I quit.

On the one hand, Disney has a reputation for “Disney-fying” any non-Disney franchise in its wake. 
One the other hand, when Disney bought Pixar, everyone said it would be a disaster, but we got Cars and WALL-E; and when Disney bought Marvel, everyone said it would be a disaster, but we got The Avengers.

How can you say they have a reputation for "Disney-fying" anything when you give evidence to contrary immediately after?

Also Disney had nothing to do with the Avengers. That was being made before they bought Marvel. Marvel's been planning it for a long time now.

It’s also true that Nintendo’s kind of in bad shape in its struggle against the iPhone/iPad/Droid game rage,

It is?

so maybe it needs support from a “big brother,” but what if Disney took that role too literally…?

It does?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:36:53 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:41 AM »
maybe epic mickey would be a good game.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
Any video game based on their movies would be better.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »
These may be relative to your interest:

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
No! I don't want that!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
Why are there songs
Why are you in them

And on the topic of "what if Disney bought Nintendo"... Do they, in fact, "need help from a 'big brother'"? I was under the impression that they were doing fine on their own. But should this hypothetical event ever happen, I'm thinking nothing would happen. I don't know exactly what you mean by "disneyfying non-Disney franchises," unless you want to call old fairy tales "franchises" now. I'd guess that they wouldn't even use the Disney name. At least not all the time.

Heh, can you imagine... "SportsCenter, a Disney production." That just sounds silly.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »
If Disney buys Nintendo (which it won't) then I quit.

How can you say they have a reputation for "Disney-fying" anything when you give evidence to contrary immediately after?

Also Disney had nothing to do with the Avengers. That was being made before they bought Marvel. Marvel's been planning it for a long time now.

It is?

It does?

What is it with you and your habbit of attacking every part of everything I say?  Shut up!

Maybe I should have said many franchises, not any.  I was trying to present both sides fairly.

I know Disney had nothing to do with The Avengers.  I'm just saying that, at the time, some Marvel fans were worried that Disney might step in and change things in mid-production.  Thankfully, they did not.

Have you even read the article, "Nintendo is Killing Itself?"  For a big Nintendo news reader like you, Chef, I can't believe you're unaware of Nintendo's financially weak state (Aw yeah!  Nailed him!  Go Colonel!  It's your birthday!  Go Colonel!  It's your birthday!).

And BriGuy92, Disney is big on musical numbers, so, why not have fun?  I composed the lyrics to these song parodies, so, by nature, I'm in them, Hitchcock style!

Awesome pics, Luigison!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:06:31 AM by TheColonelKR »
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
TheColonelKR, if you reply like that, you're just going to make it worse.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
TheColonelKR, if you reply like that, you're just going to make it worse.

True.  I shouldn’t be stooping to his level, but could you please at least tell him to stop attacking every part of my statements even when they aren’t arguments aimed at him?  Not everything on this site is about him, and this thread has nothing to do with any specific member, but he sure likes making it that way.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:52:48 AM by TheColonelKR »

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
A hate to pull a bobbysq (no offense bobbysq) but..

Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
I know Disney had nothing to do with The Avengers.  I'm just saying that, at the time, some Marvel fans were worried that Disney might step in and change things in mid-production.  Thankfully, they did not.

That isn't what you said at all.

And "Some Marvel fans" tend to be pretty stupid. Fans of anything tend to be pretty stupid, really.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »
ColonelKR you are crazy. You're a crazy person. You say crazy things.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print