Print

Author Topic: Alignment Game  (Read 8838 times)

« on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:12 PM »
This is just for fun. Make an alignment chart featuring characters from a series of your choosing. I picked DBZ:

My goal here is to generate discussion I guess. Don't play if you hate alignment charts.

EDIT: Got rid of the link to the risqué site.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:40:06 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Lawl, "adult dating" ads.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
You really made that? The quotes and everything?

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »
Yes, I did.

*braces self for disproval, as these charts are occasionally featured on Television Tropes
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:15:23 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »
No, I like TV Tropes. It's just... I can't think of a series where I could fit characters into all nine groups.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »
Mario comes to mind, as does Zelda, Star Fox, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
Neat thread, but I'm not sure how much business it'll get, because making this kind of thing can be quite time-consuming.

Nevertheless...

Sorry about the picture quality for True Neutral - I had to Print Screen off a YouTube video to get the picture of the character I wanted.  Also, some of the alignments might not be spot-on (some characters fit their respective alignments better than others), but each character was the closest one I could think of for that alignment.

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
That's awesome, Turtlekid.

Neat thread, but I'm not sure how much business it'll get, because making this kind of thing can be quite time-consuming.

I wanted to make a thought inducing thread though. While making an alignment chart is time-consuming, the participants are required to put effort into their creations.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »
It induced thought, I'll say that for sure.  It's deceptively hard to find True Neutral characters - as you may have noticed, I had to resort to using an animal (well, a non-anthropomophic one) for that alignment.

EDIT: Come on, guys, you can take a little time for this.

I was sorely tempted to label Umbridge as "Lawful Stupid."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:09:39 PM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
Wait, are the Dementors or the Patronus being summoned supposed to represent True Neutral?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
The Dementors, who don't care whose side they're on as long as that side can provide their meals.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »
That makes them chaotic neutral, not true neutral.

True neutral is the most difficult alignment for something to actually embody. Most of the characters people pick for true neutral on these charts just show a lack of understanding of the concept.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »
Perhaps the Centaurs would've fit better, looking back.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »
Chaotic good.

And now that I think about it, Dementors would be either neutral evil or chaotic evil rather than being chaotic neutral. This is based solely on the whole soul-eating thing being an inherently evil attribute regardless of whether or not it's related to survival.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54:57 PM »
Yeah, the Dementors' habit of soul-eating makes them a tough call. If they're not truly sentient beings, calling their survival instinct "inherently evil" would be like doing the same for ravenous wolves, with the main difference being that the latter would rip out your throat rather than your soul.

Anyway, I'm trying to envision how a Nintendo-themed one would look:

LAWFUL GOOD: Mario, due to his self-imposed obligation to rescue princesses
NEUTRAL GOOD: Link, as he has a tendency of unwittingly becoming a mythical hero destined to save Hyrule
CHAOTIC GOOD:

LAWFUL NEUTRAL: Yoshi, I suppose...
TRUE NEUTRAL: Pokemon, whose will is that of their trainers'
CHAOTIC NEUTRAL: Wario, whose only motivation is greed and personal gain

LAWFUL EVIL: Ganondorf, whose character is strikingly similar to Voldemort's
NEUTRAL EVIL: Bowser, who's just into the whole "evil" business for the chicks and power
CHAOTIC EVIL:

It's still a work in progress. I'm open to suggestions, of course.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Weegee, they actually have one:

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
Chaotic good.
The Centaurs?  I thought it was pretty clear that they disliked the good side just as much as the Death Eaters.

Also, Weegee, I'd probably put Ridley at Chaotic Evil, Kirby at Chaotic Good, and... I dunno, Yoshi doesn't seem to fit Lawful Neutral very well.  I'd go for Meta Knight or possibly the Federation of the Metroid universe.

EDIT: That poster is spot-on in some regards, but what is Ganondorf doing in Chaotic Evil?  He's Neutral Evil if he's not Lawful; and why is Snake there at all? 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:04:08 PM by Turtlekid1 »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
By that logic, Turtlekid, they'd probably be chaotic neutral. But their actions as shown in the books tend more toward the side of good.

And non-sentient Pokémon are not true neutral. They are unaligned.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
PL: Yes, but that one's based more on SSBB than Nintendo. Besides, Bowser and Ganondorf are completely misaligned.

TK: I was considering Kirby for Chaotic Good, but he only fits that bill in a handful of games. As for Yoshi, I was going by SMW's dialogue, which presents them as hapless creatures which only offer their assistance per Mario's request. But I suppose that's not the intended interpretation of "Lawful Neutral".

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »
Bowser isn't Lawful Evil?

Actually, he probably is Neutral Evil because he's willing to team up with Mario if it means advancing his goals. As for Ganondorf, yeah, he should be Lawful Evil.

Print