Print

Author Topic: You Laugh, You Lose  (Read 568548 times)

« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
Unfunny and highly offensive.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:50 PM »
I can't even understand it.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2009, 11:26:41 PM »
redacted
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:50:41 PM by wheelman543 »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »
What I'm wondering is, whose dad is enough of a weirdo to give his (presumably) son a "surprise visit" to his dorm in the morning? Furthermore, how can the narrator tell it's a surpise visit from his dad just from the knock?
every

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2009, 12:43:03 AM »
Oh, right, it could be from a dude's point of view. For some reason I just assumed it was a girl telling the story.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:17 AM »

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »
1 = hilarious
2 = scary
every

« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
2 = scary
What if the guy was claustrophobic?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
Unfunny and highly offensive.
Your an ass.

It wasn't funny, but I doubt that it was offensive.

(if you were actually offended I apologize)
"it's always the present"

« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
My best friend is a homosexual.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
As if he knew that. (I'm not saying the joke was that funny)

Your an ass.

It wasn't funny, but I doubt that it was offensive.

(if you were actually offended I apologize)
Offensiveness is really a point of view, so "I don't think it was offensive" or "I doubt it was meant to be offensive" makes a little more sense than "I doubt that it was offensive."

That, and I think it's a little too late to apologize for anything after saying "your an ass".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »
I really don't care if he thinks I'm an ass. It's the bad grammar that gets me.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »
Okay, so it's pretty much unanimous that the anecdote was unfunny, though I personally was not offended (not to try and one-up PL, but I have several gay friends, in fact). I was more befuddled by the "joke's" seeming lack of logic and, most importantly, lack of any real punchline. Awkward situations with implied outcomes do not make good humor.
For example, the event after the naked friend leaves is left up in the air. For all we know, the father is extremely proud of his son for finally having had sex, regardless of the gender of the significant other. For all we know, the narrator and his friend actually are gay, though not neccesarily with each other (although the final line might suggest otherwise).
See, this is situational comedy, a form of humor which does not lend itself well to closed, non-visual scenarios (in other words, it's sitcom-style humor poorly horseshoed into the context of a joke). Of course, there is always the possibility that the original author intended for the reader to think about all this, to challenge the reader's traditional concept of what a joke actually is, similar to the old chicken/road joke, in which the punchline (the chicken reaching its destination) is the real-life consequence of the action the chicken takes (crossing the road), subverting the reader's expectation of a more fantastic, "joke-like", outcome.
every

« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »
I laughed and lost to the above post. How, I do not know.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print