Print

Author Topic: New Super 3DS Bros  (Read 12883 times)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
That's what you get if you search for "Nedna", presumably attempting to understand what on earth YoshiAngemon is talking about.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
I sort of like the sounds of 3DS Advance, but it'll probably end up being 3DS SP.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »
All the supposed hardcore gamers complaining about this because "oh I just bought a 3DS last month and now I have to buy a new 3DS to play new games." It's not Nintendo's fault you waited until three years into the console's lifecycle to buy it. And since you did that, you clearly are okay with not always playing brand new games as soon as they come out, so what's the issue? Keep playing through your backlog of 3DS games and in a few years, you can buy a N3DS and do the same thing.

Would they be complaining less if it wasn't called a 3DS? Maybe that makes it seem less like the new console it actually is. Or have they forgotten that new consoles are a thing? Granted, the original Game Boy and original DS lasted almost a decade, but the DS came out just three years after the GBA, which came out just three years after the GBC.

Reminds me of this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0MbGdkbeEU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0MbGdkbeEU</a>
(this one is ridiculously quiet; you might need to literally put your ear up against your speaker)

At least the first one acknowledges that there's more than one SNES game, but the second one sounds almost exactly like the people saying "Why do I have to buy a new 3DS just to play Xenoblade?"

But I mean I can understand those people back then not getting it, referring to the SNES as a new version of an NES rather than a new console, being at the beginning of modern gaming history. But in 2014, we've seen enough consoles to know that this is a thing that happens.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:54:12 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »
I think a lot of people are miffed because having a C-Stick equivalent provides a not-insignificant edge in SSB4.

Also, it's true that new consoles (and their exclusives) have been an expected part of the industry for a long time now; but that doesn't mean it's wrong to point out how nasty it is to create a situation in which only one or two releases motivate a console purchase.  Kind of like how I'm still aghast that Squeenix released one of the best Kingdom Hearts games to date on the PSP, which never did get a library that interested me enough otherwise to justify buying that system.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
Bump to say that I'm kind of disappointed that the NA seems to only be getting the XL.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 11:31:51 PM »
I'm really annoyed at that. I really want the regular size one because it has faceplates and it fits in a pocket and the screens are a little bit bigger without being totally pixelated. And I don't want to just not buy anything if it's not going to come out ever and they just never even acknowledge its existence, but I really also don't want to cave now and buy the XL and rebuy Xenoblade and then in a couple months they put out the one I actually wanted and then I can't even trade the XL in for it because it'll have hundreds of dollars of games I've downloaded on it and I can't do a system transfer to an interim system because I wouldn't have another New 3DS (I don't know if it's been confirmed, but I assume you can't transfer from a New 3DS back to an Old 3DS, since the New 3DS is getting exclusive games).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »

I will never understand why they didn't call it the Super 3DS.

"Hey guys, the new #3DS system is finally coming out!"
"What are you talking about? The 3DS isn't new; it came out four years ago."
"No, we're not saying the 3DS is new, we're talking about the New 3DS."
"That came out six months ago."
"No, that was the New 3DS XL. This is the New 3DS."

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of the Animal Crossing faceplates, so this bundle isn't a great value for me (and only one card? seriously? you couldn't throw in a full 6-pack of cards?). I'm probably just going to cross my fingers and hope they sell it on its own later. I can't guarantee I won't cave and buy one if it's in stock when I go to pick up my Retro 3-pack, though. I picked up a translucent blue 2DS last year when the A button on my Old Small 3DS was going out (it's back now, though) because there aren't enough translucent game consoles anymore, and I really like the 2DS but sometimes I really miss having 3D (on downloaded games, so I'd have to go through a whole system transfer again to play them on my apparently-working Old Small 3DS).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:37:52 PM by CrossEyed7 »

CrossEyed7

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
and yeah i recognize that it's kind of hypocritical that i want the regular size n3ds because it's pocket size despite willingly switching to a 2ds

Oh, also, it's a year later now and there are only two New 3DS-exclusive games (and both of them are lower-resolution ports of games that were available on other consoles years ago) so maybe I was wrong about the New 3DS being "more Game Boy Color than DSi" (the DSi had four exclusive retail games (though you'd have to buy at least two DSis to play all of them), and there was a lot of DSiWare (still coming out now even)).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:48:45 PM by CrossEyed7 »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 07:06:24 PM »
I would say I rather regret 

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
"Hey guys, the new iPhone is finally coming out!"
"What are you talking about? The iPhone isn't new; it came out years ago."
"No, we're not saying the iPhone is new, we're talking about the New iPhone."
"That came out months ago."
"No, that was the iPhone 6. This is the iPhone 6s."

I'm not an Apple fanboy so feel free to criticize or correct the above. 

I'm glad to see the NEW 3DS coming stateside.  My daughter might like the Animal Crossing theme, but frankly that frightens me a little because I know I spent more money on Animal Crossing myself than any other game/series. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
At least new iPhones have different numbers and letters attached to them; they're not just literally called The New iPhone (though they did have The New iPad for a while). In that example, it could've just started with "The iPhone 6s is coming out", but with the New 3DS, the only way to quickly and unambiguously convey your intended meaning is by using unofficial terms -- "The regular-sized New 3DS is coming out (assuming your audience already knows what a New 3DS is and what the regular size of a 3DS is)" or "The new version of the 3DS that has amiibo support built in and is the same size as the non-XL version of the old 3DS is coming out." In Nintendo's promotional materials, they have to use the official terms, so their only option is to say "The New Nintendo 3DS is coming out" and hope people at least notice the capitalization.

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 02:02:47 AM »
Holy.

I can play 3DS again without puking whenever I look at the screen.

I can honestly say the New 3DS XL was the biggest waste of money I've ever committed in my life. It wasn't a waste because I didn't use it. It was a waste because it took the 3DS from being my favorite system that I played every day and carried on my person at all times when I left the house to being a system I haven't played one bit since a few weeks after transferring my data/account to the New 3DS XL.

Now where the **** is Rhythm Heaven: The Best +

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 06:11:48 AM »
I was this close to buying a New 3DS because my old one's circle pad had been broken for about three months. Then just a week or two ago, it fixed itself out of the blue.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
So... is it safe to buy one yet?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »
If you don't want to pay $50 extra for a $30 game (it comes in a $50 bundle with a $20 accessory), a $10 cover plate (there's two plates in the bundle, but it has to come with at least one, so you can't really count both of them), and a $1 card, you'd be better off buying a standalone one... assuming they ever release one (which they intentionally haven't announced to scare us into buying the bundle, just like they intentionally didn't announce the Small New to scare us into buying the New XL).

Print